By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 3DS begins to outpace Wii next week

HappySqurriel said:
Torillian said:
HappySqurriel said:
Since the 3DS may soon be on track to being the fastest selling dedicated videogame device over the initial 12 month period it is obviously doomed, and Nintendo will soon have to leave the hardware manufacturing side of the business ...

y'know if I could make a rule about this stupid meme that we have going on our forums I would do it in an instant.  So many posts that add absolutely nothing to the conversation and just come off as pretentious and irritating.  I'm usually big into people being able to post whatever they want within reason, but this is getting real annoying.

The Meme isn't going to survive much longer, so you might aswell "enjoy it" while it lasts ...

With every system that launches people are immediately drawn to defining its success or failure based on early sales and, if sales are not amazing right from the start, people start claiming that it will be a failure. For multiple reasons the reaction to the 3DS was worse than most that I have seen, and when Nintendo corrected their mistakes this meme appeared started being used to "thumb their noses" in the face of all the people who made extremely negative predictions based on early sales.

Once the PS Vita is on the market and the 3DS is well on its way to being a very successful platform the Meme will disappear because people will be far more focused on whether the PS Vita will be a successful system. Months after that, when the Wii U launches, the PS Vita will stop being the center of attention, and not too long after that the other consoles will release that and take the attention away from the Wii U.

I think Torillian was aiming at the pretentious "people said that, but now this is happening, so they were wrong and I was right." It never adds anything to discussion and just comes off as incredibly smarmy. I wouldn't have predicted the 3DS having an incredibly successful first year, but I also wouldn't have predicted that Nintendo would be so desperate as to cut the price drastically and release several of their biggest IPs in the first year of the system.

People had high expectations of 3DS sales because it was the successor to the best selling system of all time. The reactions weren't unreasonable.

Around the Network

That maybe so, but Nintendo still has some work to do if they want to ensure the 3DS a successful future.

axt113 said:
You guys do recall that Wii was horribly supply constrained its first few years?

Trying to compare sales of the 3DS, which can be found easily on nearly any shelf, to sales of Wii, which had lines in front of stores constantly throughout its first few years, is ridiculous

Actually, what is ridiculous is that you actually believe that since there was a constraint on sales, it invalidates any comparison in sales between one product and another; and that you are doing that on this site. Constraining factors are completely irrelevant when the goal is to simply track sales data from one point to another.

The 3DS had multiple constraints on sales as well, including a pricetag that was too high, reports (that were proven to be false) around launch that 3D caused migraines, seizures, and blindness in children, etc. Do the poorer sales as a result not count because of these constraining factors? Of course not.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

spurgeonryan said:
I am glad that the 3DS was able to turn itself around and accomplish this. Now that big games are coming out for it it should be good to go now!

I was not even aware of this meme or what a meme is, but I have no use for it.

People should not have had such high hopes for the 3DS, how could it possibly stand up to the DS which will probably fight the PS2 till the very end for the top spot! Hope fine, but high hope? Just be happy it is now great!@

Actually, the DS surpassed the PS2 a while ago, and has widened the gap to a nearly 5 million unit lead.

The 3DS in 8 months has surpassed the DS's first full year sales as well; and it actually looks like it has a shot at surpassing DS + PSP year one sales combined.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Who cares.....They lose money!! Ha in your face =p! Well that is what people do when numbers are to positive;..Troll about the profit;.

Around the Network

wii'll see about that

I prefer comparing Wii with Wii U, and DS with 3DS.
But hey! That's still a great number for 3DS :D . And where is the hater and doomer lol

This is great, more sells epuals more games

'Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll.'
-Shigeru Miyamoto

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850