By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Skyrim wins 2011 VGA GOTY award and over a dozen more.

What should have won GOTY?

Skyrim 134 41.74%

Uncharted 3 83 25.86%

Batman Arkham City 22 6.85%

Portal 2 14 4.36%

Skyward Sword 67 20.87%

Total:320

I'm not surprised but definitely a black eye to this gaming gen.(sigh)

Around the Network

If by black eye you mean well deserved...then yes. Otherwise being a contrarian is not always a good thing.

To those who say it doesn't deserve GOTY because of all the glitches, then if we judged everyone's posts by how well they spell, no one would have a valid argument.

Nuff said.

Last years winner Red Dead Redemption was better than Skyrim i think.

So since it sold most on 360......its a 360 win.

I kid I kid :)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

Wow, Portal 2 won best multiplayer game? I mean I love Portal 2 and all, but really? The co-op was good, but not mind blowing.

Honestly if there is any category Gears 3 should have won it was multiplayer. I mean you got 4 player co-op, Horde 2.0, Beast, versus, and private. No game this year comes close to as much multiplayer content as Gears 3. Even if it was BF3 or MW3 I wouldn't be as annoyed, but Portal 2 is NOT the best Multiplayer game this year.

The other one I'm kinda annoyed with is graphics. How can Crysis 2, Battlefield 3, and Gears 3 not make the list? Crysis 2 is probably the best looking game on PC and even consoles and BF3 looks amazing on PC. PC really gets gypped when it comes to VGA awards.

In terms of gameplay alone it's a good choice however considering the technical problems with the game's engine it shouldn't have been chosen.
I would have preferred Batman or Uncharted 3.

scat398 said:
If by black eye you mean well deserved...then yes. Otherwise being a contrarian is not always a good thing.

If a game is literally unplayable than yeah I'm pretty sure it deserves GOTY. If it didn't have so many glitches I would definitely give credit to Skyrim for getting GOTY

smroadkill15 said:

Wow, Portal 2 won best multiplayer game? I mean I love Portal 2 and all, but really? The co-op was good, but not mind blowing.

Honestly if there is any category Gears 3 should have won it was multiplayer. I mean you got 4 player co-op, Horde 2.0, Beast, versus, and private. No game this year comes close to as much multiplayer content as Gears 3. Even if it was BF3 or MW3 I wouldn't be as annoyed, but Portal 2 is NOT the best Multiplayer game this year.

The other one I'm kinda annoyed with is graphics. How can Crysis 2, Battlefield 3, and Gears 3 not make the list? Crysis 2 is probably the best looking game on PC and even consoles and BF3 looks amazing on PC. PC really gets gypped when it comes to VGA awards.

yeah i found it odd that Portal 2 won.

but i find it more odd that Killzone 3 and Uncharted 3 werent on the list for best multiplayer. and while i wont disagree with you in that Gears had a ton of multiplayer content, i would go as far as sayig no game comes close to its multiplayer content.

Uncharted for example had Competative multiplayer, story based co-op, wave based survival co-op, and 2 team objective co-op. all of these modes could be played by yourself, or split screen with a friend. you could also play all of these modes either online splitscreen, or offline split screen. all of these modes could also be played over LAN.

while im not annoyed with the winner of the best graphics, i too was annoyed by the choices, a lot of them were quite odd. how Killzone 3 got left off that list, especially since it was easily second best (on console).

the list should have been, in no specific order.

Uncharted 3

Killzone 3

Crysis 2

Battlefield 3

Gears of war 3.

the other games shouldnt have even made the nominations.

osamanobama said:
smroadkill15 said:

yeah i found it odd that Portal 2 won.

but i find it more odd that Killzone 3 and Uncharted 3 werent on the list for best multiplayer. and while i wont disagree with you in that Gears had a ton of multiplayer content, i would go as far as sayig no game comes close to its multiplayer content.

Uncharted for example had Competative multiplayer, story based co-op, wave based survival co-op, and 2 team objective co-op. all of these modes could be played by yourself, or split screen with a friend. you could also play all of these modes either online splitscreen, or offline split screen. all of these modes could also be played over LAN.

while im not annoyed with the winner of the best graphics, i too was annoyed by the choices, a lot of them were quite odd. how Killzone 3 got left off that list, especially since it was easily second best (on console).

the list should have been, in no specific order.

Uncharted 3

Killzone 3

Crysis 2

Battlefield 3

Gears of war 3.

the other games shouldnt have even made the nominations.

I was kinda overdoing it with no other game comes close, but I was just annoyed with Portal 2 winning. The only reason I didn't mention Uncharted 3 is because I have yet to play it, but I've heard good things about the multiplayer and I would take it over MW3 and BF3. I have only played a little KZ3 mutliplayer, but from what I did play it was pretty fun.  

I agree with the graphics department, but I would probably take out one of the shooters just to give it a little variety. Throw in Batman: AC.