By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Protesters are now terrorists in the UK

source

Police include Occupy movement on ‘terror’ list

By Adam Parris-Long | Yahoo! News – 16 hours ago

City of London Police have sparked controversy by producing a brief in which the Occupy London movement is listed under domestic terrorism/extremism threats to City businesses.

http://l.yimg.com/os/251/2011/12/05/COLPduh1-cleaned_184915.jpg" width="310" height="518">
Picture- Occupy LSX

The document was given to protesters at their “Bank of Ideas” base on Sun Street – a former site of financial corporation UBS. City police have stepped up an effort to quell the movement since they occupied the building on 18 November, with the document stating: “It is likely that activists aspire to identify other locations to occupy, especially those they identify with capitalism.

“Intelligence suggests that urban explorers are holding a discussion at the Sun Street squat. This may lead to an increase in urban exploration activity at abandoned or high profile sites in the capital.” The Occupy movement is listed alongside threats posed by the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Columbia (FARC), Al Qaeda and Belarusian terrorists. 

“Just the words themselves are enough to deceive the public opinion and this is what we see at the moment,” Occupy spokesman Spyro Van Leemnen told Yahoo! News. “We are clearly nothing to do with extremists or terrorists, we are a peaceful group and we do use direct action to raise our point but definitely not terrorism.

“The building has been abandoned for a good few years now and we think it is crazy for a bank to have it empty and not used when we know at the same time there are so many family homes that have been repossessed. Occupying that building and giving it back to the community is definitely not a terrorist act,” he added.

Commenting on the document, City of London Police said: “[We] work with the community to deter and detect terrorist activity and crime in the City in a way that has been identified nationally as good practice.

“We’ve seen crime linked to protests in recent weeks, notably around groups entering office buildings, and with that in mind we continue to brief key trusted partners on activity linked to protests.”

How long until protesting becomes illegal worldwide?

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Protesting is fine...

Entering building to cause criminal damage and to threaten people going about their daily working lives and perhaps put at risk data security isn't.

So yeah... arrest the fuckers and lock them up. Sick of low lives and rich kids, who want to be "common people", thinking they are saving the planet by pitching tents in the middle of the city.

this, very much this

While there is an element of unruliness that comes with this territory, branding them the same as the London underground bombers is certainly over-the-top

But that's what you get with the Tories, eh?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

"extremism threats to City businesses"

sounds like occupy london was appropriately grouped

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

kowenicki said:
Mr Khan said:
While there is an element of unruliness that comes with this territory, branding them the same as the London underground bombers is certainly over-the-top

Here we go again...

wtf have the tories got to do with it....  these morons all grew up in a Labour "controlled" country - a 19yr old was an infant when Blair came to power. (You remember him...THE biggest crook, biggest liar, fraud and worst prime minister of all time).... And we all know that the country is ALWAYS, without fail, a fucked up mess after every Labour government in history.

That a Tory administration will lump general-purpose protestors together with radical terrorists. Not that Labour is much better. Your so-called left party is just as bad as ours in America, and your so-called further left party entered into a pact with the Tories to give Cameron the majority

Come to think of it, that likely explains why. No-one in power there will want any sort of real social justice sentiment creeping up in your country. It's a threat to everyone

Around the Network

can we pepperspray them now?

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Good, they need to be kicked to the curb, they're wasting the time of police, who could much better spend their time on real criminality, but no, now they got to deal with this bunch of low lives.

Plus occupying a building that isn't yours, and destroying stuff isn't "protesting", it's "illegal", in Jail with these douchebags!

@ NIKKom:

Dibs on the first group we pepperspray! XD

Millenium said:

Good, they need to be kicked to the curb, they're wasting the time of police, who could much better spend their time on real criminality, but no, now they got to deal with this bunch of low lives.

Plus occupying a building that isn't yours, and destroying stuff isn't "protesting", it's "illegal", in Jail with these douchebags!

@ NIKKom:

Dibs on the first group we pepperspray! XD

They're really not that bad and they really shouldn't be taking up that much police time. The papers are playing these protests up (as per usual) to sell papers. If you actually go down to the sites it's all pretty civil, organised and small. Should barely be making the news to be honest.

Illegal protesters like these should be sent off to exile in Australia, or something

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

kowenicki said:
Mr Khan said:
kowenicki said:
Mr Khan said:

Here we go again...

wtf have the tories got to do with it....  these morons all grew up in a Labour "controlled" country - a 19yr old was an infant when Blair came to power. (You remember him...THE biggest crook, biggest liar, fraud and worst prime minister of all time).... And we all know that the country is ALWAYS, without fail, a fucked up mess after every Labour government in history.

That a Tory administration will lump general-purpose protestors together with radical terrorists. Not that Labour is much better. Your so-called left party is just as bad as ours in America, and your so-called further left party entered into a pact with the Tories to give Cameron the majority

Come to think of it, that likely explains why. No-one in power there will want any sort of real social justice sentiment creeping up in your country. It's a threat to everyone

You dont seem to know much about how our police and political system works...

This was instigated by the Police.... and from a civil liberties perspective; Liberals further left than labour?  er..no.

I doubt there are more than a handful of nations with better social justice than the UK.... if any.  

I'll admit i'm at a loss as to the role of the third party, given that as far as i can tell its supposed to be focused on progressive leftism. Care to explain?

Yes, you have very strong social justice systems, but no political parties that seem to care atm