By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Why does most music made after ~2000 suck?

Do you believe the music industry has gone downhill during the 2000s?

Yes 79 69.91%

No 29 25.66%

Maybe 5 4.42%

Total:113

Establishing parameters to decide if a band or song is good or not is something difficult and subjective unless you share criteria, so Ill limit myself to say that there is a heeell lot of music out there and Im sure most people will find something they consider good if they search enough.

Good look for the ones that are willing to do so, if not, you always have the classics ;)

Around the Network

Added a poll to the thread finally. Not sure why I didn't have one in the first place. It will be interesting to see the results. I believe it will be around 50/50 with the younger generation voting no more often (considering it is the music they are growing up to now and they might not have exposed themselves to previous generations of music).

Bruno Marz looks like a deformed Turtle.

I like the Lazy song as we do not have to see his eyes lol

I feel that it is completely subjective. Most of the music I like actually comes from 2000+. I even like a little of the mainstream stuff. I do agree though that pop and rap is pretty bad nowadays, but I still love 2000+ rock.

I listen to Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, System of a Down, Killswitch Engage, Evanescence, Linkin Park (older stuff though), and stuff like that.

But, I also like Alice in Chains, Guns N' Roses, Black Sabbath, a few AC/DC songs, and a few random classic rock songs. I feel that there is nothing wrong in liking music from all time periods. It is simply what you enjoy listening to.

Smithy RPG said:
I feel that it is completely subjective. Most of the music I like actually comes from 2000+. I even like a little of the mainstream stuff. I do agree though that pop and rap is pretty bad nowadays, but I still love 2000+ rock.

I listen to Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, System of a Down, Killswitch Engage, Evanescence, Linkin Park (older stuff though), and stuff like that.

But, I also like Alice in Chains, Guns N' Roses, Black Sabbath, a few AC/DC songs, and a few random classic rock songs. I feel that there is nothing wrong in liking music from all time periods. It is simply what you enjoy listening to.

You did a pretty good post and I am going necro this thread just because of you.  There is decent music now but it seems "harder" to find.  I suppose I was just spoiled back in the 90s with blockbuster hit after hit.   I suppose this happens to all old people though...  I do enjoy classic rock almost more than the music I grew up on though.  I believe the hey day of rock was in the 60s-70s.   Bands nowadays just can't compete to what preceded them.  I did list some songs in the op post 2000+ that I liked.  There are bands out there but I believe rock is on a downhill spiral (aka NiN- Downward Spiral).

Around the Network

There's good and bad music in every decade, it's just that people tend to only remember the good artists/songs from the past.

Personally, there's plenty of music from 2000+ that I absolutely adore like Muse, Metric, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Dragonette, Florence + the Machine, Foster the People, Adele, Scissor Sisters, The Fratellis (and that's skipping the more mainstream artists that people like to look down on but who still make kick ass music in my opinion)

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
There's good and bad music in every decade, it's just that people tend to only remember the good artists/songs from the past.

Personally, there's plenty of music from 2000+ that I absolutely adore like Muse, Metric, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Dragonette, Florence + the Machine, Foster the People, Adele, Scissor Sisters, The Fratellis (and that's skipping the more mainstream artists that people like to look down on but who still make kick ass music in my opinion)

Glad you are "back".  Haven't seen you in a min bro!  I've only heard of Foster the People of the band you listed.  There is good music out there ( I will agree with you) but it was a hell a lot easier back in day to find good music (in my "honest" opinion).  I can search back to the 60s-70s and can easily find bands that out match rock bands these days.   It seems to me that rock went downhill around the late 90s.  Most people just tell me search harder....  Sucks that you have to search harder to find good music.

sethnintendo said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Glad you are "back".  Haven't seen you in a min bro!  I've only heard of Foster the People of the band you listed.  There is good music out there ( I will agree with you) but it was a hell a lot easier back in day to find good music (in my "honest" opinion).  I can search back to the 60s-70s and can easily find bands that out match rock bands these days.   It seems to me that rock went downhill around the late 90s.  Most people just tell me search harder....  Sucks that you have to search harder to find good music.

I guess there's so much different stuff available out there that if you're only interested in a particular genre you'll find yourself overwhelmed with the amount of bands putting out music these days.

Signature goes here!

@Seth: Here's a sample from some of the bands I mentionned, I wouldn't classify any of them as pure rock music, just fucking good music.

Metric - Black Sheep

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Heads Will Roll

Muse  - Plug In Baby

Signature goes here!

Jumpin said:

Here's a question for music fans, how many of these people can you name?

The first picture has Courtney Love and Kurt Cobain in it.

The second, I think is the girl from Blondie.

The third, not sure about this one, I'd say Heart.

Signature goes here!