By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Why does most music made after ~2000 suck?

Do you believe the music industry has gone downhill during the 2000s?

Yes 79 69.91%

No 29 25.66%

Maybe 5 4.42%

Total:113

Music since the 2000s is amazing! Not only that, because of the internet you can find music that appeals directly to your taste. There's an insane amount of music out there. If you really can't find new music that appeals to your taste, then it might be that nostalgia for older music is more important to you then the actual music.

Around the Network

Well its that a lot of those old popular songs were mainstream hits.

A lot of the "good music" is hard to find and is in places where the average person doe not go.

spurgeonryan said:
Solid-Stark said:
I kinda agree when people say a lot of music these days is done solely for the purpose of cashing in.

Because that is what most of it is. Making money. In fact a lot of the Country and pop songs are about making money or sex.

There are still musicians out there who will make music because they enjoy it and want to make something great, but they are drownded out usually under the sea of sell out crap. Was there a recent console that had this same problem?

Still, sadly, I enjoy some of the sell out crap.

I guilty on that too.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

If I hear one more 'artist' using that stupid voice modulation crap I swear I'll puke my guts out. Yes, Tea-Pain and the seemingly million others like you, I'm talking about you.

EDIT: I blame Simon Cowell for this slack practice of polishing karaoke turds and making suckers want them.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

okr said:
Jumpin said:

Anyone citing 70's progresive rock and hard rock as "good music" whereas today's music is crap puts a smile on my face - not because I agree, but because it is humerous to see such outright blatant pretentiousness =P

The 70's sucked until New Wave.

Randomly googled list with plenty of awesome non-New Wave 70s music: http://www.listology.com/tdunnie/list/my-70s-soul-playlist

Stevie Wonder alone made the 70s a decade for brilliant music before the term New Wave was even officially used. Not to mention Marvin Gaye (What's Going On/1972 - one of the best albums of the decade), James Brown, Sly & The Family Stone, Al Green, Curtis Mayfield and many others.

OK, you pretty much corrected me there. Soul music is awesome =P

Here are three songs performed back to back at the Grammy's which I really enjoyed.... Especially Janelle Monae's performance. 

After seeing this, I ended up buying two of Janelle Monae's albums, and they're both brilliant covering multiple genres, they are part of a 4 part concept series based around a character who lives in Metropolis - perhaps the first big budget Sci-Fi film in history. The first album is the first part "Metropolis" was released in 2007, and the second and third parts were released as "Arch Android" and were released in 2010 - there was a collaboration with Big Boi (From Outcast) on some of the tracks from the second album.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
okr said:
Jumpin said:

Anyone citing 70's progresive rock and hard rock as "good music" whereas today's music is crap puts a smile on my face - not because I agree, but because it is humerous to see such outright blatant pretentiousness =P

The 70's sucked until New Wave.

Randomly googled list with plenty of awesome non-New Wave 70s music: http://www.listology.com/tdunnie/list/my-70s-soul-playlist

Stevie Wonder alone made the 70s a decade for brilliant music before the term New Wave was even officially used. Not to mention Marvin Gaye (What's Going On/1972 - one of the best albums of the decade), James Brown, Sly & The Family Stone, Al Green, Curtis Mayfield and many others.

OK, you pretty much corrected me there. Soul music is awesome =P

Here are three songs performed back to back at the Grammy's which I really enjoyed.... Especially Janelle Monae's performance. 

After seeing this, I ended up buying two of Janelle Monae's albums, and they're both brilliant covering multiple genres, they are part of a 4 part concept series based around a character who lives in Metropolis - perhaps the first big budget Sci-Fi film in history. The first album is the first part "Metropolis" was released in 2007, and the second and third parts were released as "Arch Android" and were released in 2010 - there was a collaboration with Big Boi (From Outcast) on some of the tracks from the second album.

I know Janelle Monáe and I bought The ArchAndroid (Suites II and III) last year. Great album, favorite song: Faster. She's brilliant. Same goes for Erykah Badu and Alicia Keys. These ladies are just three of many reasons why I disagree with the thread starter.

Decided to put Don McLean - American Pie in the op because it seemed like the song fitted the thread. I used a video that has a picture of Bob Dylan the entire time but it was the best quality. Apparently, according to one YouTube poster he was the Jester that stole the crown which I didn't know that it was the reference to.

Here's a question for music fans, how many of these people can you name?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

the radio lies to you.
do some research. there is a ton of GREAT music recorded in the last 10 years.
mainstream ruins everything

Added this song to the op of songs post 2000 that sound good to me. Heard it a few times on 101X (Austin's independent rock/alternative station).