By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Why does most music made after ~2000 suck?

Do you believe the music industry has gone downhill during the 2000s?

Yes 79 69.91%

No 29 25.66%

Maybe 5 4.42%

Total:113

I'd suggest some music but I don't know what your music library is missing, if you are on last.fm, we could check your music and fill in the gaps! Here is a recent rock band that I enjoy:

Around the Network

@sad.man.loves.vgc

No offense but I don't think we're on the same page :/

I kinda agree when people say a lot of music these days is done solely for the purpose of cashing in.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

^ I don't mean ALL music after 2000, to be clear.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

bouzane said:
@sad.man.loves.vgc

lol, it's okay! What rock bands do YOU enjoy then? :)

Around the Network
sad.man.loves.vgc said:
bouzane said:
@sad.man.loves.vgc

lol, it's okay! What rock bands do YOU enjoy then? :)

I like a bit of everything when it comes to rock music. A few of my favorites are: The Who, The Animals, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimi Hendrix, King Crimson, The Rolling Stones, Creedence Clearwater Revival. 

That being said, I typically enjoy metal more than rock, it's a shame that metal pretty much died in the mid-90's.

Well, first of all find out what genres you like and then search... its easy as that. Its actually funny, most songs I listen at the moment are made after 2000. Its true that I love some niche genres ( like russian mathcore and such), but saying that music after 2k sucks IS NOT TRUE. It just makes you seem a bit incult

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

sethnintendo said:

While there are a few songs that are decent made the past decade, I have yet to be impressed by any new band, old band, or song since about the 90s.  Perhaps, I am just getting too old but I feel that music has gone way down hill since the 90s.  Most rap/hip hop sucks when compared to 80s/90s.  Almost all rock completely sucks now a days compared to the previous decades.  I can enjoy a ton of songs from the 50s,60s,70s,80s (I suppose when in comparison to 2000+), and 90s.   I think the entire auto-tune bullshit has ruined a lot of music.  You used to have to be able sing now you just need a hot body and a semi decent voice.  They will be able to fix everything up in the studio.  Singers from the previous decades actually had to be able to sing.  I suppose I am just getting old but I'd have to say most recent music sucks "hardcore".  Please list some suggestions (mainly interested in rock and alternative) to help me change my mind.

PS.. The Righteous Brothers can out sing anyone.

This thread is to help expand people's knowledge of current music (considering I previously gave up on new music).  I hope everyone noticed the word most in the title.  I am not saying all but a majority in my opinion.  I plan on listening to most if not all of the suggestions (as long as it isn't 2000+ pop), and I hope the conversation stays decent even though everyone has a different taste in music.  I'll try to refrain from using the word suck from now on.

I disagree, there's plenty of great music since 2000. Looking at Hip Hop alone - just look at Outkast and the acts surrounding them (Janelle Monae's multi-genre Metropolis theme concept album series series is brilliant).
Around 1990 there were several very great musicians that had a ton of impact (Kurt Cobain , Mariah Carey, Tupac Shakur); every few years until then, you could find those few great musicians.... Then the Internet came and instead of a a small number, there were lots of unique bands exposed - and no one single force could really lead another pop revolution. This has been since 1995. So it is just that there are no dominant pop movements anymore like there were before.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

The correction should be that top-40 from the 00's suck.

The non-mainstream stuff was phenomenal during the decade. You just have to know what's out there for a given genre. I'm a big fan of metal, and the sub-genre improved so infinitely much during the decade, its not funny.

Just throwing out a few bands with good albums in the post-00 world (all genres for me, personally):

1. Demon Hunter
  2. War of Ages
  3. Maylene & The Sons of Disaster
  4. Dream Theater
  5. Menahem (one album, but really good, IMO)
  6. Seventh Avenue
  7. Mr. Big (old band, great new album 'What If..')
  8. Epica
  9. Novembere
  10. In This Moment
  11. Killswitch Engage
  12. Joe Bonamassa (best blues player in history? He's right there)
  13. The Protomen
  14. Emarosa
  15. Brad Paisely (may get flak for it, but his guitar chops are unbelievable when you break them down)
  16. Becoming the Archetype

Those are just a few I really enjoyed in the past decade, personally. I can probably list another dozen or two bands who put out at least 2 good albums during the decade with multiple great tracks per year.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

greenmedic88 said:

Also, as a music finding resource, Pandora does a pretty good job of finding good suggestions based upon individual user input. Enter even one band and it will create an entire streaming channel filled with musical suggestions that should appeal to the user. The more bands input, the better the suggestions. Maybe not the best for finding new acts, but will definitely expose you to acts you may not have been previously familiar with that share enough in common with your musical tastes. 

Yea, I finally got a new phone and downloaded the Pandora app.  I've only tried out the 70s channel so far but I plan on trying all sorts of channels on it.  I didn't know you only had to input one band but I will have to start inputting bands to see what suggestions pop up.  I had my friend d/l Pandora also and he loves it after using it the first time.