By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Defends Proprietary Vita Memory Cards

Earlier this week, GameStop revealed Sony's pricing plan for its proprietary Vita memory cards. In response to negative reactions from fans, Sony Division 2 software development head Muneki Shimada has spoken out in a new interview about Sony's decision to use proprietary memory, and what it provides over traditional storage solutions.

According to a translation by Andriasang, Shimada says Sony didn't use universal memory like SD cards because it wanted to make sure everyone had an "equal condition." In other words, because SD cards have various classes and speeds, Sony wanted to make sure every customer would have the same transfer rate and experience while accessing their data during gameplay.

Shimada added that Sony was concerned with security. The PSP was plagued by firmware hacks, and Sony's goal may be to prevent the Vita from succumbing to the same fate by keeping its memory on a new proprietary format. Finally, Shimada added that the cards won't simply be for gameplay. They'll be for "patches, game data, download content and more," and for that reason Sony wants to keep them more secure.

Sony hasn't confirmed the exact specifications of the Vita's memory cards, but we expect more details once the system is released in Japan later this month.

Source: http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/121/1213857p1.html

I can see how what Shimada said justifies them using a proprietary format for PS Vita memory cards, but he didn't even attempt to comment on or justify the high prices which is what the people are outraged by.

Around the Network

And it's not like the reasoning isn't sound enough, in principle at least, but if the trade-off is to have such high prices, I think it's going to backfire tremendously.

I understand why they don't want universal memory cards, but 120 bucks for 32 gb is sooooo overpriced.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Rainbird said:
And it's not like the reasoning isn't sound enough, in principle at least, but if the trade-off is to have such high prices, I think it's going to backfire tremendously.

It wouldn't backfire if they included a 4gb card with every console, it's enough space for game saves, DLC and patches and it will meet the needs of the average gamer. Have SONY commented on what is bundled with the system?

EDIT: Just found an article on it, a memory card isn't included, that's a big mistake, especially if a memory card is mandatory for some games. What happened to game saves, DLC and patches being downloaded straight onto the game cartridge? Isn't that what SONY said it would do at E3?

It's great that they are learning from their mistakes and have a legitimate reason to force consumers to use their tech, but I don't buy that this means raising the price of a 4GB card from $5 to $30, and so on.

Hopefully the prices won't be so crazy in the UK or they drop soon.

Around the Network

They'll be for "patches, game data, download content and more," Sounds like bullshit.

Sony didn't use universal memory like SD cards because it wanted to make sure everyone had an "equal condition."
Sounds like bullshit.

The PSP was plagued by firmware hacks, and Sony's goal may be to prevent the Vita from succumbing to the same fate by keeping its memory on a new proprietary format. Sounds like the real reason/excuse.

i'll get a Vita about 5 yr.'s from its launch date, by then these prices should be a thing of the past. let us not forget that these sd card prices have yet to be confirmed, so gun jumping is an early think to do so lets reserve judgement until prices are confirmed.

Sony just doesn't understand, however they aren't the only ones.

brendude13 said:

Earlier this week, GameStop revealed Sony's pricing plan for its proprietary Vita memory cards. In response to negative reactions from fans, Sony Division 2 software development head Muneki Shimada has spoken out in a new interview about Sony's decision to use proprietary memory, and what it provides over traditional storage solutions.

According to a translation by Andriasang, Shimada says Sony didn't use universal memory like SD cards because it wanted to make sure everyone had an "equal condition." In other words, because SD cards have various classes and speeds, Sony wanted to make sure every customer would have the same transfer rate and experience while accessing their data during gameplay.

Shimada added that Sony was concerned with security. The PSP was plagued by firmware hacks, and Sony's goal may be to prevent the Vita from succumbing to the same fate by keeping its memory on a new proprietary format. Finally, Shimada added that the cards won't simply be for gameplay. They'll be for "patches, game data, download content and more," and for that reason Sony wants to keep them more secure.

Sony hasn't confirmed the exact specifications of the Vita's memory cards, but we expect more details once the system is released in Japan later this month.

Source: http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/121/1213857p1.html

I can see how what Shimada said justifies them using a proprietary format for PS Vita memory cards, but he didn't even attempt to comment on or justify the high prices which is what the people are outraged by.

This new format took a lot of money to develop. That's 1 of the reasons for the high price.

Another reason is that they are selling Vita at a loss.

VGKing said:

This new format took a lot of money to develop. That's 1 of the reasons for the high price.

Another reason is that they are selling Vita at a loss.

lol...

Millions went into the idea of covering up 2 dents...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!)