By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Doesn't Want to be Late with PS4

theprof00 said:
sales2099 said:
theprof00 said:
sales2099 said:
Significantly later = 2 years

Later = 1 year

Seems with the Vita releasing after the 3DS, Sonys rule of launching late and suffering arent going anywhere :)

the one year later with the ps3 was significantly late. It single handedly put ps3 in third place (despite outselling it on the same timeline).

My point is, your definitions aren't very grounded.

Sony seems to like launching late, the Vita being a recent and relevant example. 1 year late seems to me their mode of operation in the last 5 years. 

And that timeline BS still cracks me up. This isnt a alternate universe where they had the same launch date. PS3 launched late and we count total sales, not comparative launch sales. And despite outselling it in the same timeframe.......its comparatively embarrassing given PS1 and especially PS2s success. 

1 year was significantly late.

PS3 sells more per year on average (total divided by number of years) than 360. I know you're a 360 supporter, so let me put it in perspective.

1 year is significant because it meant the difference between 2nd and 3rd.

If you have some fact to counter this, please present it. Specific examples are not necessarily fact. Just because they released Vita a year late, does not mean Sony considers 1 year late as normal. That's illogical.

Sony themselves said that PS3 has a lot of unfinished business. It hasn't even hit the 199 price point and if PS4 comes out before or at the same time as it hits 199......well you just killed whatever remaining potential PS3 has left. 

MS on the other hand will theoretically have the 360 around for at least 7 years before bringing on the next gen. Perfect timing to just let 360 coast on mass market prices for a few years more. PS3 on the other hand, again, has never tasted the 199 price yet. All signs point to a 2013 PS4 release at the earliest. 

And the bold.......with PS3 putting Sony in last place and bleeding red ink, and with launching the Vita late and now way more expensive then the head start 3DS.......what makes you think Sony is even logical in their ways of doing business anymore? :)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

I will buy whatever console is worth my money next gen.... Xbox 720 or Ps4...

Yay!!!

sales2099 said:
theprof00 said:
sales2099 said:
theprof00 said:
sales2099 said:

Later = 1 year

Seems with the Vita releasing after the 3DS, Sonys rule of launching late and suffering arent going anywhere :)

the one year later with the ps3 was significantly late. It single handedly put ps3 in third place (despite outselling it on the same timeline).

Sony seems to like launching late, the Vita being a recent and relevant example. 1 year late seems to me their mode of operation in the last 5 years. 

And that timeline BS still cracks me up. This isnt a alternate universe where they had the same launch date. PS3 launched late and we count total sales, not comparative launch sales. And despite outselling it in the same timeframe.......its comparatively embarrassing given PS1 and especially PS2s success. 

PS3 sells more per year on average (total divided by number of years) than 360. I know you're a 360 supporter, so let me put it in perspective.

If you have some fact to counter this, please present it. Specific examples are not necessarily fact. Just because they released Vita a year late, does not mean Sony considers 1 year late as normal. That's illogical.

Sony themselves said that PS3 has a lot of unfinished business. It hasn't even hit the 199 price point and if PS4 comes out before or at the same time as it hits 199......well you just killed whatever remaining potential PS3 has left. 

MS on the other hand will theoretically have the 360 around for at least 7 years before bringing on the next gen. Perfect timing to just let 360 coast on mass market prices for a few years more. PS3 on the other hand, again, has never tasted the 199 price yet. All signs point to a 2013 PS4 release at the earliest. 

And the bold.......with PS3 putting Sony in last place and bleeding red ink, and with launching the Vita late and now way more expensive then the head start 3DS.......what makes you think Sony is even logical in their ways of doing business anymore? :)

I cannot believe that ps3 is still in the red. Sure, Sony as a whole is in the red, but ps3 was in the black as of 299$ over a year ago. I can't imagine that it went back to being in the red, but maybe there's something I haven't seen from them yet.

Well, here's my question. You say Sony will want to release at a similar time to nextbox. When is nextbox? It's only being in January, according to rumor. So I'd say Sept-Holiday 12' is likely. But why would MS cannibalize it's own console? This Christmas is showing that 360 still has a long way to go. The situation you describe of ps3 is the same with 360. Nextbox could kill the 360, especially when it's kinect inside, according to rumor. Why sell something new and bundled, when you have something you make very good margin on, and have the kinect as a further add on sale?

The reason I bring this all up is because it has relevance on when sony will next drop price.

The real dichotomy is realistic nextbox release date vs ps3 price drop. You are 100% right, sony won't want to release a new playstation until there's another price drop on ps3, and realistically, two price drops. Honestly, both are selling so well going into their 5th and 6th year that I can't see them releasing new consoles for the majority of next year.

What I can see, is an interim console. Console redesigns, or with their secondary product built in, but virtually the same console.

Sony really needs to get on their Vita integration. Vita is perfectly capable of interacting with the ps3 the way wii U setup works. And 360 could totally use a kinect upgrade/built in sensor system.

The point is, if sales continue like they are, there is no reason for either side to release a new console, especially with so much expansion to be done.

theprof00 said:
sales2099 said:
theprof00 said:
sales2099 said:
theprof00 said:
sales2099 said:

Later = 1 year

I cannot believe that ps3 is still in the red. Sure, Sony as a whole is in the red, but ps3 was in the black as of 299$ over a year ago. I can't imagine that it went back to being in the red, but maybe there's something I haven't seen from them yet.

Well, here's my question. You say Sony will want to release at a similar time to nextbox. When is nextbox? It's only being in January, according to rumor. So I'd say Sept-Holiday 12' is likely. But why would MS cannibalize it's own console? This Christmas is showing that 360 still has a long way to go. The situation you describe of ps3 is the same with 360. Nextbox could kill the 360, especially when it's kinect inside, according to rumor. Why sell something new and bundled, when you have something you make very good margin on, and have the kinect as a further add on sale?

The reason I bring this all up is because it has relevance on when sony will next drop price.

The real dichotomy is realistic nextbox release date vs ps3 price drop. You are 100% right, sony won't want to release a new playstation until there's another price drop on ps3, and realistically, two price drops. Honestly, both are selling so well going into their 5th and 6th year that I can't see them releasing new consoles for the majority of next year.

What I can see, is an interim console. Console redesigns, or with their secondary product built in, but virtually the same console.

Sony really needs to get on their Vita integration. Vita is perfectly capable of interacting with the ps3 the way wii U setup works. And 360 could totally use a kinect upgrade/built in sensor system.

The point is, if sales continue like they are, there is no reason for either side to release a new console, especially with so much expansion to be done.

While its true that 360 is selling extremely well given its age, its 6 years old and will be 7 years old next year. In electronics terms, thats ancient. Successful or not, 360 is showing its age and MS should get the next gen started sooner then later.

Mostly because 360 never had kinect in 2005 and even today kinect isnt bundled with every 360. The next Xbox is said to not only have a better kinect but have it built in to every Xbox. Thats what MS should be striving for and what I believe their plan is. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Just because a piece of electronics is seven years old does not mean it needs to be replaced.
Such things are true with computers because improvements often arrive just a month after the last improvement.
The same thing doesn't work with video game consoles.
Just because it's 7 years old does not mean the tech is outdated or not meeting expectations, consumer wise.