By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Doesn't Want to be Late with PS4

customfolders said:

Sony does not Run on 10 year life cycles they may keep them around for 10 years but they do not release them every 10 years. So saying we should not expect PS4 till 2016 is completely wrong. PSone - 1995 PS2 - 2000 PS3 - 2006

Carbonless Forms | CD Jackets | Custom Folders

Finally someone said this.... Sony did not say they will release a console in 10 years.. all they said is the ps3 will be on the market for 10 years.. like the ps2.

Around the Network
Tiko7523 said:

Sony says it doesn't want to be late to the party with its next generation 'PlayStation 4'. 

Speaking at a Vita press event in London, PlayStation Europe boss Jim Ryan said, "I think we would consider it undesirable to be significantly later than the competition." But he said the company has plenty of work to do with its current generation. "There's still a lot of unfinished business on PS3." 

He added: "If you look at PlayStation 2, now in excess of 150m units installed globally, a huge majority of that was done at lower price points. There's a considerable untapped part of the market there for PS3." 

Nintendo's Wii U launches in 2012, and rumors are circulating of increased activity on Xbox's next machine, nicknamed Xbox 720 or 'Loop'. In the current generation, PlayStation 3 launched a year later than Xbox 360. 

What do you think? Should Sony wait and launch in its own good time? Or is it important to come out alongside, or even before the next Xbox? 

Thanks Eurogamer. 

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1213331p1.html

All that Sony's gaming division has too do is use the same tactics they used to make the Playstation 2 successful.

1. Sony's lack of games on PS3 launch.

2. Over priced system.

3. Lack of features.

4. Poor marketing for the PS3.

5. Releasing PS3 too late.

These points are what sealed Sony's fate for there current position in console standings.

sales2099 said:
Significantly later = 2 years

Later = 1 year

Seems with the Vita releasing after the 3DS, Sonys rule of launching late and suffering arent going anywhere :)

the one year later with the ps3 was significantly late. It single handedly put ps3 in third place (despite outselling it on the same timeline).

My point is, your definitions aren't very grounded.

Zappykins said:
I think they will launch in 2013/2014 with the Next Xbox. With both selling well and (probably) making good profits there is no reason to jump into a new system. (Even with PC's graphics being a whole gen better, customers are still buying consoles.)

Now, if the WiiU starts dominating, they might move things up!

PS Just want to remind everyone that many at MS thought the PS3 was going to launch in 2005, which is why they brought out the X360 at that time. It makes since PS1 1995, PS2 2000, so PS3 might have been 2005. They wanted to stay current and seemed to have rushed and obviously had a problem. I think they were trying to stay current not so much get a 'jump' on the competition. Just turns out that they did.

Actually PS1 released in 1994. So the Playstation franchise has a tradition of releases between 6 years.

The problem of PS3 was not releasing 1 year after x360. It was being very expensive and having the same or worse graphics than 360. Also for not having a good line-up until 2008/2009.

If Sony took off the Blu-Ray of the machine and substituted for a very good GPU at the time like 8800gtx, then I think that even selling at $600 PS3 would dominate the market(not on the launch but after 1 year or 2). Paying $50 or $100 more for a PS3 would bring way better graphics and maybe more exclusives(a lot of games went to 360 because of the graphical similarities).

Hopefully it'll be perfect..

Around the Network
Siko1989 said:
customfolders said:

Sony does not Run on 10 year life cycles they may keep them around for 10 years but they do not release them every 10 years. So saying we should not expect PS4 till 2016 is completely wrong. PSone - 1995 PS2 - 2000 PS3 - 2006

Carbonless Forms | CD Jackets | Custom Folders

Finally someone said this.... Sony did not say they will release a console in 10 years.. all they said is the ps3 will be on the market for 10 years.. like the ps2.

Finally? There's always a bunch of people who say this obvious thing in these kind of threads.

Dgc1808 said:
Your thread is late.

Agreed hate to say it but I created the topic a while back. Though I must say due to conflicts going on in the topic I did leave. But none the less the topic does already exist. Here.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

theprof00 said:
sales2099 said:

Later = 1 year

Seems with the Vita releasing after the 3DS, Sonys rule of launching late and suffering arent going anywhere :)

the one year later with the ps3 was significantly late. It single handedly put ps3 in third place (despite outselling it on the same timeline).

Sony seems to like launching late, the Vita being a recent and relevant example. 1 year late seems to me their mode of operation in the last 5 years. 

And that timeline BS still cracks me up. This isnt a alternate universe where they had the same launch date. PS3 launched late and we count total sales, not comparative launch sales. And despite outselling it in the same timeframe.......its comparatively embarrassing given PS1 and especially PS2s success. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
theprof00 said:
sales2099 said:

Later = 1 year

Sony seems to like launching late, the Vita being a recent and relevant example. 1 year late seems to me their mode of operation in the last 5 years. 

And that timeline BS still cracks me up. This isnt a alternate universe where they had the same launch date. PS3 launched late and we count total sales, not comparative launch sales. And despite outselling it in the same timeframe.......its comparatively embarrassing given PS1 and especially PS2s success. 

1 year was significantly late.

PS3 sells more per year on average (total divided by number of years) than 360. I know you're a 360 supporter, so let me put it in perspective.

1 year is significant because it meant the difference between 2nd and 3rd.

If you have some fact to counter this, please present it. Specific examples are not necessarily fact. Just because they released Vita a year late, does not mean Sony considers 1 year late as normal. That's illogical.

I hope:

Wii U 2012
NextBox 2013
PS4 2014

Xbox could get 1st place.