By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Do you think Sony will ever make a net profit from the PS3?

What do you think?

Around the Network

not if they keep cutting the price to keep up in sales

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

It's going to be a while. At this point the hole is probably close to $4 billion.

Eventually, maybe like $8 a system by the end of the generation or something.

Are you talking about hardware only or including software? And are you talking about in a single quarter or total for the lifetime?

With software the answer is almost certainly yes.
Hardware alone it may be profitable way down the line, but I don't think it can overcome the losses already incurred.

Around the Network

I am talking about hardware, software sales, license fees and any other way a 1st party makes money related to its console. Yes, total for the lifetime.

I don't think it will. Even with the amazing success of the PS2 they apparently only made about $billion profit over its lifetime. The first quarter losses were also not that great.

Now, however, the PS3 has already lost well over 2 billion (considering they almost posted $2 billion losses in one quarter with PS2 and PSP to offset that loss), and it is not going to sell anywhere near as many units as the PS2. It does not seem likely that the PS3 will ever break even.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

No, not from PS3 directly. Possibly in a few years if you count indirect profits from increased Blu Ray/Bravia etc sales.

Um duhh.

For one PS3 is the reason Br kicked hddvds ass = billions in royalties for Sony. Future music/tv/movie download service through the PS3. The PS3 is pretty much intertwined with almost every Sony corp division in some way, it will become one of their biggest money makers eventually.

A person would have to be ignorant how business of large corporations work to think they wont make net profit on the PS3.

Mars said:
Um duhh.

For one PS3 is the reason Br kicked hddvds ass = billions in royalties for Sony. Future music/tv/movie download service through the PS3. The PS3 is pretty much intertwined with almost every Sony corp division in some way, it will become one of their biggest money makers eventually.

A person would have to be ignorant how business of large corporations work to think they wont make net profit on the PS3.

you'd also be ignorant if you think any estimation of such a number is reliable in any form, sharp or disguise.

the Wii is an epidemic.