By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Do you think Sony will ever make a net profit from the PS3?

PDF said:
yes. in 2009

Only if sales improve a lot and no price cut

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

There's simply no way. This is an Xbox 1 generation for Sony; they'll bleed billions to stay competitive, and then come back next round.

People, they're  more than three billion dollars in the hole on the PS3. That's being generous, and assuming PS2/PSP have netted effectively zero profit in the last two years. You aren't going to make 3 billion dollars back unless your system catapults to Wii status, which isn't in the cards for this system.

Sony seems to be content to ride out these losses. The company as a whole is doing well.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:

There's simply no way. This is an Xbox 1 generation for Sony; they'll bleed billions to stay competitive, and then come back next round.

People, they're more than three billion dollars in the hole on the PS3. That's being generous, and assuming PS2/PSP have netted effectively zero profit in the last two years. You aren't going to make 3 billion dollars back unless your system catapults to Wii status, which isn't in the cards for this system.

Sony seems to be content to ride out these losses. The company as a whole is doing well.

I agree...but I also think they will twist it has long and hard as they can to make the numbers say they profitted even if its miniscule compared to expectations at the beginning of the generation.

To Each Man, Responsibility

If the royalties from games cover those loses (and more), why should they bother?

No foreign sky protected me,
No stranger's wing shielded my face.
I stand as witness to the common lot,
survivor of that time, that place.

- From 'Requiem' by Anna Akhmatova

How do you know they will?

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Around the Network

How many games do you have to sell to get 3 billion dollars in royalties?

"""How do you know they will?"""

==> how do you know they will not ?

Don't ask me, I don't know too
I think they will make money on the PS3 in 2009.

For a net profit, all depend if u include the whole sony compagny or just the PS3 sales.

Time to Work !

I think the next few years of the PS3 are going to be spent with periodic raises in profitability, that almost manage to make the console profitable every time, but increased competition force Sony to bleed money to stay in the race.

Remember, it took the PS3 two major price cuts to go slightly above the weekly sales of the 360, which has only had one smaller price cut, and the Wii is far ahead of rest with no price cut at all.

The Wii doesn't even need one, but the 360 is about to drop prices, and Sony is going to have to decide between getting left futher behind, and losing more money. I expect the pattern to repeat at least a few times before the end of the gen.

Parokki said:
I think the next few years of the PS3 are going to be spent with periodic raises in profitability, that almost manage to make the console profitable every time, but increased competition force Sony to bleed money to stay in the race.

Remember, it took the PS3 two major price cuts to go slightly above the weekly sales of the 360, which has only had one smaller price cut, and the Wii is far ahead of rest with no price cut at all.

The Wii doesn't even need one, but the 360 is about to drop prices, and Sony is going to have to decide between getting left futher behind, and losing more money. I expect the pattern to repeat at least a few times before the end of the gen.

Yeah if I was MS I would cut like $100-150 off the price of every SKU, not only would it likely ignite sales, but it would also stick a knife in Sony, because they would bleed money even more trying to stay competitive, and MS has deeper pockets

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

to say the truth ,

it was
a 100$ price cut (a recent WW one)
and
a new model (40gb) which I asume cost less to produce

and yes, MS should have atacked during holidays 2007
but they wanted to earn money NOW, so they have decided to not make a price drop.

Time to Work !