By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Online play to be charged on ps4?

Will online play be charged on ps4?

Yes 108 47.79%

No 98 43.36%

I don't bother 20 8.85%

Total:226

They better keep the basic online play free otherwise they might lose some customers. It is not always a matter of paying $40-50 but more so the mentality of consumers. Sometimes people big money to buy expensive cars but than cheap out on basic necessities. I know gaming is a luxury good but more or less becoming part of main stream culture.

Around the Network

No. There's no need and it keeps them competitive. PSV and PSN+ kinda confirms it's not gonna happen.

4 ≈ One

maximrace said:
I think it's rather funny to see sonyfanboys starting to bash xbl while the thread was meaned to discuss psn. Ah well, personnaly I think it is stupid of them not charging for online but they won't do it. They know they will lose a lot of fans to the 360 ( wich gives a better services afterall). The community would benefit from it though. Think about the extras you can get when sony has more money for their online

I think it's rather funny to see someone remake this thread for the 529th time considering the discussion is as old as dirt and there's nothing to suggest that it might happen. Ah well, personnaly I think it's stupid to make pointless tired threads but the rules of the site seem to allow it so what ever.

4 ≈ One

they will charge because they realized they're mistake on capitalizing on the online marketplace like Microsoft did.

No, it won't be pay to play online. Many people buy PS3s because it has free online. Besides Sony already has Playstation Plus. The die-hard PS fans will buy that.

What Sony will do is sell the PS4 at a profit. They'd be stupid to sell it at a loss like they did the PS3.

Around the Network

I say give the consumer a bare bones connection similar to the Nintendo DS or something. That way, they can play online with strangers.

Standard online gives you online play.
-They can't message them.
-Can't add them to a friends list.
-Can't rate them or avoid them.
-Can't choose their region
-Can't invite them to a game.
-Can't voice chat with them.
-Can't video chat with them.
-Can't compare their trophies with yours.

Online play and that's it. That's all you get for free. Of course, you still get access to the marketplace, Netflix, etc. but for online play, you get the bare minimum. $40-$50 a year gets you the real deal (Platinum).

Diamond Online ($60) gets you all of the features of Playstation Plus.

If Sony is smart they should. They need a better service and all the revenue they can get.

The only downside is that Sony fanboys can't use the free online argument.

Sony.....its a good trade off :)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

I hope sony charge for online next gen. They need the cash badly.

d21lewis said:

I say give the consumer a bare bones connection similar to the Nintendo DS or something. That way, they can play online with strangers.

Standard online gives you online play.
-They can't message them.
-Can't add them to a friends list.
-Can't rate them or avoid them.
-Can't choose their region
-Can't invite them to a game.
-Can't voice chat with them.
-Can't video chat with them.
-Can't compare their trophies with yours.

Online play and that's it. That's all you get for free. Of course, you still get access to the marketplace, Netflix, etc. but for online play, you get the bare minimum. $40-$50 a year gets you the real deal (Platinum).

Diamond Online ($60) gets you all of the features of Playstation Plus.

This, this, this and this!!

sales2099 said:
If Sony is smart they should. They need a better service and all the revenue they can get.

The only downside is that Sony fanboys can't use the free online argument.

Sony.....its a good trade off :)

This.

I LOVE paying for Xbox Live! I also love that my love for it pisses off so many people.