By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 Skyrim becomes unplayable after 6MB+ save file.

SvennoJ said:
Everyday a new glitch, last night a whole section of cave was missing. The npc I walked into it and fell down into the netherworld. I saved and reloaded on the spot and luckily the cave was back, but the npc was still somewhere under the world. Going outside and back in luckily reset him.

Frame rate is frequently dropping into the teens now outside with a lot of extra stuttering during fights, 7.5mb save file. It's getting impossible to aim because of this, time to switch tactics and hack away with a sword instead.

Better hurry with that patch, it's slowly grinding down to a halt.

Damn man, im sad to hear that. Im still having no problem with my 6mb file but I guess it will be starting soon. I read the articles and comments and it looks like the issue affect everyone. Thats totally unnacceptable, its borderline impossible that they did not QA with a save game past the 30-40 hours mark. There are rumor that they will not even fix the game.

Around the Network

Oh, come on! Of course they will fix this problem, their name will be damaged if they don't do a patch.

3DS FC :  4339 - 3326 - 7693. Add me :) Nickname Tin

MRKs said:

Oh, come on! Of course they will fix this problem, their name will be damaged if they don't do a patch.

Its somewhat strange they didnt made clear they would fix the problem completely. All they said is enhance PS3 performance. Its a bit lacking in confidence if you want my opinion. They also have precedents of taking time in fixing issues. Anyway, lets hope they fix it since im also starting to experience annoying lag in combat.

SvennoJ said:
twesterm said:

It's funny how people constantly bitch about patches like they're some sort of crutch or excuse to release unfinished games but those people always forget to realize that if the ability to patch wasn't there those same games would still be shipped and you would be shit out of luck.  Like in the 90's.

I don't remember as many game breaking bugs from the 90's though, and far less glitches as well. Of course the games nowadays are far more complex. Not neccesarily in size, might and magic series were huge as well, maybe even bigger in area.

Anyway I stuck with my pure mage, lowered the difficulty and simplified my spell arsenal to get a bit more streamlined experience instead of opening the fav menu 5 times and needing avg 20 clicks for each fight, not even counting the actual attacks. The left, right button shortcut help a lot, I just wish you could use more hot keys and that they would switch back to the previous spell if clicked again.

The world is top notch anyway, awesome to walk around and explore. Hopefully next-gen can do away with the loading screens. How can it stream that gigantic world but not stream in a dungeon, town or house when you walk into it. Then immersion will be complete.

Btw 36 hours in, save game reaching 7mb and ran perfectly fine last night. Just stuttering now and then when walking around Whiterun. Still very playable.

Believe me, they definately existed.  I remember most PC games I played in the 90's having a game breaking glitch and others just having bugs galore.

I remember one game, The Legend of Kyrandia, being dead out of the box.  I couldn't even install the game and I was shit out of luck with that one.  The store wouldn't take it back and I couldn't install it.  I had a friend with FFVII on PC and it was beyond broken.  I remember Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness 100% crashing at one point unless I took very specific steps to get around it (and that was a pain to figure out).

Believe me, we have it pretty easy nowadays.

twesterm said:
SvennoJ said:
twesterm said:

It's funny how people constantly bitch about patches like they're some sort of crutch or excuse to release unfinished games but those people always forget to realize that if the ability to patch wasn't there those same games would still be shipped and you would be shit out of luck.  Like in the 90's.

I don't remember as many game breaking bugs from the 90's though, and far less glitches as well. Of course the games nowadays are far more complex. Not neccesarily in size, might and magic series were huge as well, maybe even bigger in area.

Anyway I stuck with my pure mage, lowered the difficulty and simplified my spell arsenal to get a bit more streamlined experience instead of opening the fav menu 5 times and needing avg 20 clicks for each fight, not even counting the actual attacks. The left, right button shortcut help a lot, I just wish you could use more hot keys and that they would switch back to the previous spell if clicked again.

The world is top notch anyway, awesome to walk around and explore. Hopefully next-gen can do away with the loading screens. How can it stream that gigantic world but not stream in a dungeon, town or house when you walk into it. Then immersion will be complete.

Btw 36 hours in, save game reaching 7mb and ran perfectly fine last night. Just stuttering now and then when walking around Whiterun. Still very playable.

Believe me, they definately existed.  I remember most PC games I played in the 90's having a game breaking glitch and others just having bugs galore.

I remember one game, The Legend of Kyrandia, being dead out of the box.  I couldn't even install the game and I was shit out of luck with that one.  The store wouldn't take it back and I couldn't install it.  I had a friend with FFVII on PC and it was beyond broken.  I remember Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness 100% crashing at one point unless I took very specific steps to get around it (and that was a pain to figure out).

Believe me, we have it pretty easy nowadays.

I was thinking of stabiliy of games on consoles. Yes pc games did not fare as well. I didn't have it quite as bad as you but I also had a couple games that simply would not work or crashed often. Windows 95 and early 3D cards were a pain in the ass. Opting for software renderer was usually a better way to go. Before that screwing around with config.sys, autoexec.bat and wait states in the bios to get games to run is difinitely not something I miss. Console games fared a lot better.

My savegame in Skyrim is 11mb now, last night I lagged off a cliff to death. It's so random, someplaces it works fine, other places it stutters so much it feels like I'm about to see the blue screen of death (something I don't miss as well, pc games have gotten so much better)

Around the Network

Ive been playing the PC version and i can safely say the game has hardly any bugs or glitches, apart from little odd things that are common in most open world games. Also, all the issues on the pc version have fixes or are a result of a particular PC setup. I think its safe to say that the pc version is the way to go.

Also people here bashing bathesda for releasing a supposedly buggy game.I dont get it. This games is insanely ambitious oblivion was as well. And if a game is this ambitious it is obviously more prone to bugs (not that thers much in skyrim in any case). Most people are fully aware of this. Apart from the ps3 save file bug, and the 360 install issue, theres nothing really wrong with the game. And people who are saying there is either havnt played the game or are just being overly dramatic.

The ps3 bug is game breaking though, but they will surely fix it with a patch. The only issue i have here is the disregard for people without a internet connection that will not be able to gain access to the patch immediately. Thankfully there are other ways to get a patch.

All in all i think bethesda is actually one of the good guys when it comes to caring for their customers and following up feedback.

@SvennoJ crashing to desktop is not a common problem at all (ive never had a ctd happen yet), and if you thinking of getting the pc version then don't hesitate.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

I was planning to buy Ps3 version since I want online and I don't want to pay Xbox live, but I just read no multiplayer!? how comes btw?

anyway, seems better right now to buy Xbox360 version

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

I hope this gets fixed soon. Just bought the PS3 version today.

4 ≈ One

The game is noticeably lagging on be now, its not unplayable but its not as smooth as when I started.

someone in skyrim needs to employ some dead body removers,i thought the animals might have eaten them by now,

ive put 40hours in and the only problems i've had are in the menus,it hasn't frozen yet but i have had only 2 saves going it has abotu 3 autos or something,ive made some nice armour for my travelling chum and his big two hander deals with most things i come across but i wouldn't say i'm far into the story

its hard to compalin when you are watching thunderstorms and dragons in the sky and they give you a map on the box too,

you know you have skyrim,cyrodil,hammerfell etc whats the whole place called is it called tamriel or is that soemthing else

Above & Beyond