By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii U vs PS4 vs Xbox One FULL SPECS (January 24, 2014)

oni-link said:
I really don't know where everyone is getting that X720 will have 6 cores and running 3.7 GHz per core. For that matter I can't seem to find a DEFINITE source for the amount of total memory (let alone amt of eDRAM) for each system. The only sources I could find most definitely is that the Wii U is packing a modified POWER7 CPU similar to the Watson, and using a RADEON HD based RV770 GPU. source: http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/07/ibm-puts-watsons-brains-in-nintendo-wii-u/ and http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/14/wii-u-has-last-gen-radeon-inside-still-more-powerful-than-ps3-a/ . The latest development kit has the Wii U running with at least 1GB of unspecified RAM but that still doesn't give any information on the final number until a tear down occurs or an official release of specs. Please post official sources for the amt of RAM, CPU speeds, Cores (thought the POWER7 has a minimum of 4 cores so Wii U could have at least that much) the systems are suppose to get. Otherwise this thread sounds like a child's wish list for the upcoming systems (my opinion) than a legitimate checklist of confirmed/authentic information. Thanks.

There is no such thing as "confirmed" or "authentic" at this point and this has been a thread on going since November based on various devs and rumored accounts along with a little speculation on my part (such as bluray on nextbox or HDD sizes on it and ps4).

Wii U is the only thing with any form of legitimate sourcing and that is really just limited to Power7 based CPU and AMD GPU.... all the sizes stuff on any of them is purely rumor at this point from multiple sources.

Every number there has been in separate threads on VGC as well as news sources since November. I have zero intention of going through and listing what will eventually be endless numbers or rumored sources and such.

As for what Power7 has or does not have, I pulled that info directly from IBM's site, plus you have to remember that in the end any core configuration will be heavily tailored by the respective companies.

Finally, I specifically state in the OP where all the info comes from and anyone reading it should know at this point there is a great deal of rumor and speculation.

Around the Network
Rainbird said:
superchunk said:
VGKing said:
haven't seen any rumors about 720 getting Blu-Ray. I have see rumors it won't have physical media at all though...

THe bluray addition was really just me using expected logic. I fully expect MS to put the most current standard media drive, however, the logic behind them leaving it out all toghether does have some weight... I'll have to update the OP with that possibility.

The rumor behind them dropping optical discs was worded in such a way that it sounded like Microsoft might use SD cards to deliver games on, so it wouldn't necessarily be a DD-only console.

Ah I kinda over looked that story as it seemed unlikely that MS would not support optical media playback, so I must have missed that. Thanks for the clarification.

superchunk said:
oni-link said:
I really don't know where everyone is getting that X720 will have 6 cores and running 3.7 GHz per core. For that matter I can't seem to find a DEFINITE source for the amount of total memory (let alone amt of eDRAM) for each system. The only sources I could find most definitely is that the Wii U is packing a modified POWER7 CPU similar to the Watson, and using a RADEON HD based RV770 GPU. source: http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/07/ibm-puts-watsons-brains-in-nintendo-wii-u/ and http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/14/wii-u-has-last-gen-radeon-inside-still-more-powerful-than-ps3-a/ . The latest development kit has the Wii U running with at least 1GB of unspecified RAM but that still doesn't give any information on the final number until a tear down occurs or an official release of specs. Please post official sources for the amt of RAM, CPU speeds, Cores (thought the POWER7 has a minimum of 4 cores so Wii U could have at least that much) the systems are suppose to get. Otherwise this thread sounds like a child's wish list for the upcoming systems (my opinion) than a legitimate checklist of confirmed/authentic information. Thanks.

There is no such thing as "confirmed" or "authentic" at this point and this has been a thread on going since November based on various devs and rumored accounts along with a little speculation on my part (such as bluray on nextbox or HDD sizes on it and ps4).

Wii U is the only thing with any form of legitimate sourcing and that is really just limited to Power7 based CPU and AMD GPU.... all the sizes stuff on any of them is purely rumor at this point from multiple sources.

Every number there has been in separate threads on VGC as well as news sources since November. I have zero intention of going through and listing what will eventually be endless numbers or rumored sources and such.

As for what Power7 has or does not have, I pulled that info directly from IBM's site, plus you have to remember that in the end any core configuration will be heavily tailored by the respective companies.

Finally, I specifically state in the OP where all the info comes from and anyone reading it should know at this point there is a great deal of rumor and speculatio

Don't get me wrong, I think your thread is a great one.  It just needs more authentication and selective use of some rumors.  I still take it with a massive amt of sal that the X720 will be using the POWER7 chip as their CPU!!!  If it does, I don't know if they will use the minimum cores (4) and just upgrade the frequency above what the Wii U will currently have to save cost!!! According to IBM 's VP he Wii U will use loads of embedded RAM (probably from MoSys's 1TSRAM as Nintendo owns a generous amt of stock in the company) so 16MB of embedded RAM is quite modest but possible.  I fully expect it to at least have 24MB as IBM already states that it has loads of it!!!  BTW I doubt Sony's PS4 will be as significant of a jump compared to X720 or Wii U seeing as the last two system they release had loads of power above the competition (PS3 and Vita) but was/is a money losing endeavor for a company already suffering massive losses.  Just my two cents thanks a bunch!!!

oni-link said:

Don't get me wrong, I think your thread is a great one.  It just needs more authentication and selective use of some rumors.  I still take it with a massive amt of sal that the X720 will be using the POWER7 chip as their CPU!!!  If it does, I don't know if they will use the minimum cores (4) and just upgrade the frequency above what the Wii U will currently have to save cost!!! According to IBM 's VP he Wii U will use loads of embedded RAM (probably from MoSys's 1TSRAM as Nintendo owns a generous amt of stock in the company) so 16MB of embedded RAM is quite modest but possible.  I fully expect it to at least have 24MB as IBM already states that it has loads of it!!!  BTW I doubt Sony's PS4 will be as significant of a jump compared to X720 or Wii U seeing as the last two system they release had loads of power above the competition (PS3 and Vita) but was/is a money losing endeavor for a company already suffering massive losses.  Just my two cents thanks a bunch!!!

So far all I've read showed the neXtBox as rumored to be Power7 and it does make sense, but yeah it will probably be slightly higher end than WiiU's and more RAM.

I did read a rumor that showed WiiU with a lot more eDram, but that seemed highly out of the normal pattern, so I didn't put much stock into it. THough when considering MoSys, it does have some merit.

I fully agree that in the end none of these new consoles will be leap and bounds ahead of any other. They'll all be relatively close and all share he bounty of 3rd party development.

As for the rest, yeah, this is a living thread and as more stuff comes (and you know it will as E3 approaches) I'll update.

If you find anything that comes from near or after my date in the title, please throw it in here. I hope this thread to become a good long discussion of things to come.

I just added the project names rumored and known thus far.

Around the Network

updated latest PS4 stuff.

I'd think a heavily modified 6000 series chip would be far better overall than a 7000. Considering 6000 will already be capable of smaller die sizes, lower power/heat, etc all the while being optimized to handle the same latest tech.

Even if this is true, I guarantee you'll see no big difference in games.

Updated based on latest stuff and I added more table info for CPU technologies and a GPU table now that we've heard various GPUs thrown around.

Still looking to be what I always expected. MSony reaching for top of the line with Wii U really close behind allowing 3rd parties the ability to easily push ports etc.

spurgeonryan said:
superchunk said:
Updated based on latest stuff and I added more table info for CPU technologies and a GPU table now that we've heard various GPUs thrown around.

Still looking to be what I always expected. MSony reaching for top of the line with Wii U really close behind allowing 3rd parties the ability to easily push ports etc.

So you are saying that the Wii U should be around where the PS4 and Next box is? Or did I read that wrong?

Within reason.

Based on latest rumors this is how I see it.

Wii U vs neXtBox: Wii U will have a couple less cores in CPU, but similar speed and RAM. Slower GPU, but with specific tweaks from Nintendo, it will have nearly all the same types of technology (i.e. similar to DirectX 11)

Wii U vs PS4: Wii U will have a similar or better CPU, similar speed and RAM. Slower GPU but with specific tweaks from Nintendo, it will have nearly all the same types of technology (i.e. similar to DirectX 11)

neXtBox vs PS4: Box will get a better CPU and virtually the same GPU. RAM will also be pretty much the same.

All in all, instead of a case where one is detrimentally inferior to the others, I see three consoles very similar and in no way will one be cut out due to technical limitations. 3rd party titles will look and run very much the same across all three.

With all these rumors on next gen prowess, you'd think more people would want to be in here actually discussing real tech based facts.

superchunk said:
With all these rumors on next gen prowess, you'd think more people would want to be in here actually discussing real tech based facts.

Nah, apparently it's much more constructive to entertain rumors from anonymous developers and analysts (being received by one site) that completely contradict the facts and quotes from several known devs.  

And let's not forget that Nintendo reiterating their company mantra on gameplay being paramount when addressing said rumors surely means they must be true.  :P