By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top 10 Best Graphics of this generation (consoles)

edit: PEOPLE this is a graphics thread, meaning technical, polygons, framerate, textures, resolution anti-ailising, etc. it is NOT a art style thread, it is NOT how big the map size a game has. IT IS GRAPHICS.

ok it nearing the end of the year, some major Games have hit the shelves and look phenominal. Lots of games are pushing the current console more than they ever have, and are looking great.

So i thought it was time for a new Best Graphics thread.

the concept is simple, list what you believe to be the top 10 best graphical (technical) games of this gen on console, and assign point accordingly. with the top game getting 10 points, and the last game getting 1. and please use the same formatting as i do, it makes adding up the tally a lot easier.

feel free to add justifications to your answers, it makes things more interesting.

so here we go, here are my top 10.

PLACE TITLE POINTS
1st Killzone 3 10
2nd Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception 9
3rd Uncharted 2: Among Thieves 8
4th God of War III 7
5th Killzone 2 6
6th Battlefield 3 5
7th Gears of War 3 4
8th Crysis 2 3
9th Uncharted: Drake's Fortune 2
10th Dead Space 2 1

*note: i only listed games that i have played extensively, you dont have to do the same.

what might come to a surprise to many of you, is i still think Killzone 3 looks better than Uncharted. even though Uncharted does things killzone would dream of doing. for example the freakin precedural ocean, with an ocean liner (ship), and the airplane sequence. i just like killzone graphics better for some reason.

also another thing is 6 of my top 10 are from this year. 1 is from 2010, 2 from 2009, and then one from 2007, which of course is uncharted. Is still will defend with complete earnesty and honesty that 99.9% of game released still havent been able to pass up the first Uncharted in graphics, while it might be a little rough aroundd the edges, there are certainly sections that still make my jaw drop.

edit: people please use the same format as me when submitting answers, use the same Table, copy mine if you want. it makes it alot easier to add up when i can clearly see what number the game is, and how many points are assigned to it.

Around the Network

no takers?

Killzone looks amazing indeed. tagged for later, will throw a list in myself. (ill edit this post then)

I'm a Foreigner, and as such, i am grateful for everyone pointing out any mistakes in my english posted above - only this way i'll be able to improve. thank you!

1st uncharted 3
2nd uncharted 2
3rd tales of vesperia
4th Ace combatta!!
5th enslaved
i guess anyway.

PLACE TITLE POINTS
1st Uncharted 3: Drakes's Deception 10
2nd God of War III 9
3rd Killzone 3 8
4th Gears of War 3 7
5th Uncharted 2: Among theives 6
6th Crysis 2 5
7th Battlefield 3 4
8th Gears of War 2 3
9th LittleBigPlanet 2 2
10th Killzone 2 1

All sequels :) 

Around the Network

From what I've played.

1st. God of War III  - Easily, here's 3 completely in-game pictures. (Hope you don't mind me posting pictures).

PLACE TITLE POINTS
1st God of War III 10
2nd Killzone 3 9
3rd Gears of War 3 8
4th Heavy Rain 7
5th Uncharted 3 6
6th Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 5
7th Killzone 2 4
8th Crysis 2 3
9th Battlefield 3 2
10th Rage 1

Andrespetmonkey said:
PLACE TITLE POINTS
2nd God of War III 9
3rd Killzone 3 8
4th Gears of War 3 7
6th Crysis 2 5
7th Battlefield 3 4
8th Gears of War 2 3
9th LittleBigPlanet 2 2
10th Killzone 2 1

wait do you really think GeoW3 has better graphics than Uncharted 2, really.

oh well, im not here to judge.

Mad55 said:
1st uncharted 3
2nd uncharted 2
3rd tales of vesperia
4th Ace combatta!!
5th enslaved
i guess anyway.

i will only count those that are in the correct format.

osamanobama said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
PLACE TITLE POINTS
2nd God of War III 9
3rd Killzone 3 8
4th Gears of War 3 7
6th Crysis 2 5
7th Battlefield 3 4
8th Gears of War 2 3
9th LittleBigPlanet 2 2
10th Killzone 2 1

wait do you really think GeoW3 has better graphics than Uncharted 2, really.

oh well, im not here to judge.

Yep, I think Gears 3 has better foilage, environments and lighting. Texture quality is similar, uncharted 2 has better animations and art design. Gears 3 wins technically, but not by far. UC3 outdoes both games technically and artistically. (This is all IMO)

1. The Witcher 2 (PC) : So amazing game visually. Not only technically but the art is also gorgeous. After Witcher 2 Skyrim looks so damn bland.
2. Crysis (PC): Still definites the FPS games as far as graphics go (especially with mods). It's pretty crazy that it's already 4 years since its release....
3. Battlefield 3 (PC): Caspian Borders with 64 players, explosions everywhere, bullets flying over you.... Amazing.
4. God of War III (PS3): Still the best looking console game. Fight with the kronos defines the word epic in every meaningfull way. Not to mention that it runs with over 45 frames per second !
5. Uncharted 3 (PS3): Not played trough yet but has amazed me graphically. Some of the scenes look damn fantastic.
6. Uncharted 2 (PS3): When I played Uncharted 2 first time there were a lot of moments that I was seriously blown away by the looks of the game. Very good looking game indeed.
7. Gears of War 3 (X360): Best what X360 has to offer. Some pretty amazing setpieces. Gears 2 amazed me more when it came out but obviously it's just that between these two games so many other graphically amazing games were released that the par was higher than before. Still graphically amazing game.
8. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360): As far as multiplats go nothing beats lords of shadows. Without the awful framerate this would be almost the same class as God of War III. Has amazing art also.
9. Valkyria Chronicles (PS3): maybe not technically amazing game but the art is so damn beatiful.
10. Final Fantasy XIII (PS3): Art blended with great engine and it's really amazing looking game. Not to mention those GCI cutscenes. Best the whole industry has to offer.

And after I wrote my long post I noticed that the op says that consoles only....fuck it. Some PC love is not gonna hurt anyone so I leave this be. =P