By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - World War 2:Who was the right one?

Who was right in the long term?

Soviet Union 31 15.98%

Nazi Germany 53 27.32%

USA\UK 110 56.70%

Total:194
mrstickball said:

I was refering to your US policing the world comment. You go from discussing who had the proper agenda in WW2 to modern political issues such as terrorism, US policing the world, and every other such thing at a whim. Either stick to the discussion - WW2 - or start a new thread. Otherwise, your arguments are going the way of death by a thousand cuts.

what?

USA cutting japan's trade wasn't policing?

before you debate that USA did it for a good reason,they used to trade with BRITAIN TOO when they slaved,killed and built their empire

what i was saying is USA itself was an empire back in the day,just that everything was so secret and we didn't have open media like internet so people though USA's reason were correct.

if you research a bit of banking control from back then,it was the same

Around the Network

Trying to find binaries in a subject as complex as war is a lost cause, in my opinion. Each nation committed atrocities each side had power-hungry leaders who exacerbated the situation at hand, and each country was affected terribly by World War II. Hitler’s mindless hideous acts aside, there was a grain of justification for each side too, only standing on the other side of the fence, it’s impossible to see. If you simply look at the time line of WWII- the one on Shmoop is pretty good- you’ll see that a million of chain reactions-not actions-led to the war.

snakenobi said:
mrstickball said:

I was refering to your US policing the world comment. You go from discussing who had the proper agenda in WW2 to modern political issues such as terrorism, US policing the world, and every other such thing at a whim. Either stick to the discussion - WW2 - or start a new thread. Otherwise, your arguments are going the way of death by a thousand cuts.

what?

before you debate that USA did it for a good reason,they used to trade with BRITAIN TOO when they slaved,killed and built their empire

what i was saying is USA itself was an empire back in the day,just that everything was so secret and we didn't have open media like internet so people though USA's reason were correct.

When Britain had slavery, so did the USA, so obviously the US wasn't going to complain about the slave trade. 

As for whether it was "policing", I would ask you to define what you consider "policing".  It seems to me you've said in earlier posts that the US would have been justified if they went to war with Japan over their invasions of innocent Asian countries, but the embargo was not justified, even cutting off US trade alone was unjustified.  That doesn't make any kind of sense so maybe I misunderstood.  Please carefully and clearly explain your position and your logic about how the US was wrong in its conduct with Japan in the decade(s) prior to WWII. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Final-Fan said:
snakenobi said:
mrstickball said:

what?

When Britain had slavery, so did the USA, so obviously the US wasn't going to complain about the slave trade. 

As for whether it was "policing", I would ask you to define what you consider "policing".  It seems to me you've said in earlier posts that the US would have been justified if they went to war with Japan over their invasions of innocent Asian countries, but the embargo was not justified, even cutting off US trade alone was unjustified.  That doesn't make any kind of sense so maybe I misunderstood.  Please carefully and clearly explain your position and your logic about how the US was wrong in its conduct with Japan in the decade(s) prior to WWII. 

Slave trade was started by the british and other europe powers back then not by usa.usa also got the slaves free from slavery.and british slavery was continued till 20th century

in my repon se about japan trade embargo.i meant if usa was that worried then they should have gone to war themselves not just say,we have an anglo american empire and anybody else tries to make their own,we will not let them.

snakenobi said:
Final-Fan said:

Slave trade was started by the british and other europe powers back then not by usa.usa also got the slaves free from slavery.and british slavery was continued till 20th century

in my repon se about japan trade embargo.i meant if usa was that worried then they should have gone to war themselves not just say,we have an anglo american empire and anybody else tries to make their own,we will not let them.

British slavery predates the United States of America, that's true.  But Britain seems to have freed its slaves in 1834 (1860 in the case of British India) and I would like you to provide evidence that they practiced slavery after 1900.  1860 is also earlier than 1865, when the USA abolished slavery. 

How would going to war to stop Japan's expansion not count as "not letting them" build their own empire? 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network
Final-Fan said:
snakenobi said:
Final-Fan said:

British slavery predates the United States of America, that's true.  But Britain seems to have freed its slaves in 1834 (1860 in the case of British India) and I would like you to provide evidence that they practiced slavery after 1900.  1860 is also earlier than 1865, when the USA abolished slavery. 

How would going to war to stop Japan's expansion not count as "not letting them" build their own empire? 

they stopped slavery and started economic slavery by control or the economic system trought their empire.the fact that they were an 'empire' itself tell us what they were doing

Well,Finland owned.

Take my love, take my land..

It's a fail WW2 thread when the Allies are generalised into "US/UK". And it's insulting that in 4 pages Greece hasn't been mentioned even once...

Aww man... this thread makes me sad... wanting to know who was right when all sides have done wrong...

each the US, NAZI Deutschland and Soviet Russia had labour camps during WWII and in all of them you did not have a good life... the only thing that may have been better were the conditions for war prisoners captured by the nazis or the americans... nazis did have mercy and shot them right of the bat instead of locking them up in labour camps at later stages of the war, in earlier stages french soldiers captured by the nazi soldiers were also put in labour camps tough their labour camps weren't as harsh as the ones for jews or war prisoners that where captured by the soviet union, and well americans also haven't been the nicest handling their war prisoners, probably the same as nazies did with the french...

alltogether these heroic tales they tell you nowadays are a disgrace and glorification of war at the same time, no one can imagine how wars at that time were unless he fought in them. and believe me those now old people being raised in the hitler jugend sometimes also tell heroic tales of germans fending off americans till they died. winner writes history, I don't want to know in what a gruesome and boring world we would live today if hitler acctually won, but I know my heritage and I know that my grandfather would have not survived much longer in the KZ feeding of gras like a cow, just because he did NOT want to kill people during the war for a country that wasn't his own, so would not have to put up with that nazi world either way.

Now stop talking about winners of wars, since when people die and only one person, someone already has lost his son/daughter/husband/wife/mother/father... and as soon this happens, a war was already lost for everyone, only in peace there can be winners.

The US really didn't participate that much in the war. The D-day they just entered the already crushed (by Russia) Germany and declared victory against Russia. I don't like the exact means of Germany, but I wish they had won, because my country would be three times bigger. Bulgaria was a great power in the middle ages, but now most people don't even know this country. That's sad. We're also in the early 1900 one of the fastest rising European economics, but several contracts shrank your territory, because bigger countries were afraid of us becoming too powerful.That's why we took Germany side in WW2, they promised us redemption. And let's face USA is consisted of Europeans, so there is that.