By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Half-Life 2 isn't good

Halo said:
Halo is the superior series. The worst game of the series, Halo 2, is a better game than Half-Life Episode 2.

In my opinion yes, but ive only tried half life 2 so i cant really say anything

i did however like halo 1 2 and 3 better then half life 2

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
Around the Network

A lot of stuff with Half-Life is found in the game world. For example, that new scientist in Episode 2 seems random, but then he gives a clue later on about who he is. He's the generic scientist in Half-Life who is angry when you blow up his meal in the microwave early in the game.

Actually when it comes to story, I feel that Episode 2 has done the best. While you're really left in the dark with the major things (I'd still find that knowing at least something about the g-man is better than NOTHING), I liked the storyline through Episode 2.

As for your allies in Half-Life 2, they're troublesome in tight spaces, but the best way to avoid that is to order them away from the door or wherever you want to go and then you can move in a short time before they will start following you again.

In the end, I have to agree with Ben. The Half-Life games are better on the PC and I had the most difficult time trying to play any of the Orange Box on my PS3 when I rented it and it felt like I was reunited with a long lost friend once I was able to play it on the PC on Christmas. Team Fortress 2 and Portal are probably the worst games on a controller in my opinion. Portal was tough because you have to be able to make a quick look to throw a portal in the short time you're airborne before your view is readjusted for gravity. With TF2, I felt like my favorite class (sniper) was almost worthless on a controller and it's hard to play the game in the way that is similar to TFC.

"Halo is the superior series."

Depends on what you want. Halos core gameplay mechanic of destroying a mixed group of Covenant with Elite a couple of small guys etc. is the most fun of any FPS. I liked the repetitive indoor levels of HAlo1 because it was so much fun to kill these guys. Also Halo has awesome music which is often undervalued.

HAlf-Life2 created an awesome depressing world and is more grown-up. I dont know which is better. Both are great games but very different.

No, the story isn't very good. It's a darn sight better than most games though. It's just that games generally have weak, undeveloped stories intended only to progress the action. Bioshock supposedly had a great story even though the only actual plot development involved a really predictable "twist". Other than that, it was just a series of loosely connected fetch missions.

And the physics puzzles may not exactly be ingenious, but at least they break up the monotony of endless shooting. The gravity gun is probably the most innovative weapon in any FPS... or at least it was until the Portal gun came along.

Lost tears of Kain said:
ben playing it on pc or 360 shouldnt matter if i dont like the game in general, i hate the art direction, and just most things about it

again its my opinion

TF2 is an extreme, I understand. I like the art direction because it's like opening a window on a sunny day in a dark hallway of diry glass. There are military shooteres everywhere and TF2 was going to be yet another one when the first details were released (but was later scrapped leading it's future bleak at the time). I'm really glad that Valve has done what they did with TF2 and I find it to be an enjoyable experience and a pretty damn funny one as well (the demo man crotch taunt is one of my favorites). 

Around the Network

Halo the superior series? What are you joking? Is this like the 30th joke thread this month? And its only the 6th..

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

Halo said:
Halo is the superior series. The worst game of the series, Halo 2, is a better game than Half-Life Episode 2.

You may as well just paint a big target on your head and be done with it.

Opinions are opinions (everybodies got one, few know the dictionary definition) - then there's the majority vote and critical view.

The majority vote and critical view says the Half Life series of games represent just about best FPS ever overall.

You don't have to agree - but of course that puts you in the minority.

Halo is an extremely good FPS IMO - but overall not quite as good as Half Life universe.

Example of proof of critical view - Orange Box scores higher than Halo 3 on Metacritic (just as one example) for 360 - and not just because there's more in the package.

Personally I thought Half Life 2 was good but feel the Episodes (while a lot of fun) haven't quite hung together as well. Portal IMO is the best game this year although it will never win GOTY (although I note the number of critics who mention in blogs, etc. that they all know it should be). The reason is innovation and essentially perfection. Portal is the first game in a long time I've played where I though there are just no flaws. The experience is 100% perfect for the concept - although of course its a concept not everyone will like.

Hell, even the closing credits in Portal crush every other games credits I've ever seen (although Flow comes close with its innovative credits also).

MrMarc said:
Teragen said:
You're forgetting the fact that it's a game - and a great one at that.

The physics-based puzzles are simply ingenious and the somewhat linearity of the game is a good thing, as it provides for great pacing.

Actually... at the risk of making me look a further cynical bastard. I have one gripe with this.

Making a sea-saw with bricks and wood / barrels and metal sheeting is not puzzling. Putting plugs back into walls is not puzzling.

Like Zero-Punctuation said - "We get it Valve, you made a physics engine!"

Why is he talking so fast??!?!?!?!??!!? ARGH!!!!!!

MrMarc said:
Teragen said:
You're forgetting the fact that it's a game - and a great one at that.

The physics-based puzzles are simply ingenious and the somewhat linearity of the game is a good thing, as it provides for great pacing.

Actually... at the risk of making me look a further cynical bastard. I have one gripe with this.

Making a sea-saw with bricks and wood / barrels and metal sheeting is not puzzling. Putting plugs back into walls is not puzzling.

Like Zero-Punctuation said - "We get it Valve, you made a physics engine!"

Well, I was talking about Half-Life 2, which came out in 2004 and at the time, they were great. The fact that Episode 2 is doing more of the same various years later is viable criticism. But having to figure out that you have to use your enviroment and physics to proceed left a lasting impression on me as much as using your crowbar to clear your path in Half-Life 1 did.

While the sea-saw puzzles are plentyfull, they have their variations and some of them are more impressive than others. My favorite being the one where you had to leverage a sea-saw by placing barrels underneath the submerged end. In the end, they serve their porpose...