By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Digital Foundry vs. Uncharted 3

Tagged games:

I've heard nothing but gushing for Uncharted 3's 3D...never gonna try it but err....hmmm...

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network

It's so amazing that Uncharted 2 could remain on top even today until Naughty Dog themselves had to beat it.

If you take a look at UC2's character model ,especially how the clothes feel ON the character and how the Skin of Nathan is, it almost has this "Plastic" feel to it. In UC1, that feeling is like ..rubber. I remember going like:

DAMN UC1 looks like plastic! UC2 is much better!

And now its like

DAMN UC1 looks like rubber! UC2 is like plastic! UC3 looks just the way skin should look!

It's really amazing to see shit like that XD Its quite obvious what game will win game of the year on console graphics especially since the PC is being ignored like most of the time >_>. Well done ND!

I can't stop but feel a bit sad for Guerrilla Games xD. Close second, definetly!

EDIT: For people asking about the 3D: If you have a 3D tv like myself, try it guys! It's arguably the best 3D game I have ever laid eyes on!!

Dr.Grass said:
^^

In fact, Ethomaz just got a beaut of a TV, so let's here from him...

So Ethomaz, is Uncharted 3 in 3D awe-inspiring on your new Samsung or what?

I just played it in the store... just the 2D... the release here in Brasil is set to 22th Nov .

I'm waiting because that's version has Portuguese BR audio .

Anyway... Digital Foundry stated you should play it in 3D.

kowenicki said:
ethomaz said:
Dr.Grass said:
^^

In fact, Ethomaz just got a beaut of a TV, so let's here from him...

So Ethomaz, is Uncharted 3 in 3D awe-inspiring on your new Samsung or what?

I just played it in the store... just the 2D... the release here in Brasil is set to 22th Nov .

I'm waiting because that's version has Portuguese BR audio .

Anyway... Digital Foundry stated you should play it in 3D.

They actually say:

"There are compromises - we're fairly sure that the 896x504 per eye resolution from the beta is retained, though pre-rendered movies for the single-player mode get a boost to 1024x576. Environmental detail is pared back in places, LODs are a touch more intrusive and heavy scenes can see a 4-5FPS drop in frame-rate. Aside from some extra input lag when the engine is being taxed, the overall experience in single-player is quite remarkable - and most of the issues we had with the 3D mode (most notably clipping) from the multiplayer beta appear to have been resolved. The 3D mode is by no means a "must", but we found it compelling enough to start a second playthrough of the single-player mode in 3D - for the lucky few, it adds to the replay factor."

So play a second playthrough in 3D .

kowenicki said:
Yes, just to add a bit of value I guess... I tried playing it in 3D to see how it looked and the section where Drake is a young man completely turned me off it, looked pretty poor imo... I decided to go back to 2D and am enjotying it much more, but damn I've been busy lately - must get back to playing it tonight.

They did also say..... "it is not a must" and there "are compromises" and "frame rate drops" and "input lag"

3D gaming just isnt that polished on current gen systems. Its quite a step down when you are used to how good this game looks in 2D, I have the same feelings about Gears 3 too.

Well... they said these problems have been resolved in final build (the beta had this issues).

I'll try both 2D and 3D soon... I want the Platinum trophy like I did in U1/U2.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Yeah, Ive only got the best Samsung 3D tv out there. I bought two new tv's the other week. I didn't want 3D particularly but it had it.

Why would I make a statement of opinion based on not actually experiencing it? This isn't a Forza thread. The irony is you sound as though you haven't played or seen UC3 in 3D.

My gaming one is the Samsung 55D8000. Spectacular TV.

I'm not being a fanboy about this, 3D is pretty poor on all the big games on both the 360 and PS3. Wipeout looks pretty good but not gears 3 or UC3.

'' Ive only got the best Samsung 3D tv out there.''

No. You have the best tv out there - period.

I can't argue with someone with a tv like that. My bro got the same one but the 46'' version. Even that one was veeery expensive (well, at least here where I live).

I unfortunately have to agree with Kowenicki or whoever mentioned Ch.2, the 3d looked slightly jaggy around the edges of the characters. Cutscenes however look pretty good in 3d. I'm playing it in 3d my first play through, but I had to temporarily switch to 2d due to head aches.

Playing on a Samsung D7000 by the way

osamanobama said:
did anyone else feel like they barely went into any depth about the technically aspects of the game, rather they were just defending the score that eurogamer gave it.
they didnt really touch on the tech at all, they didnt mention its resolution (though we already know its 720p)
didnt mention what kind of AA it has, little to no mention of its frame rate.
What about the huge improvement to the lighting, any insight on that tech at all... any?
what about the input lag for the controller, they complained about the aiming (doesnt seem different to me form U2) but make no analysis of it.
i thought this was a rather disapointing "tech analysis", it seemed as if all this was was a follow up to the review, complaining a little about the gameplay, and vague praise of its technical prowess, saying statement such as no other games can do graphically what Uncharted does, though with no detail.
and whats funny about the example they gave for bad gameplay, where in one section if you drop down you grap a lower edge, and another you fall to your death, is that the place where you grab the edge, you can see that its straight down from where youre hanging, and the place where you fall to your death, the lower edge is in, meaning the top is an overhang. So it makes sense that you would die, as you dont drop down directly on it.

I totally agree on their content

I would also say the inconsistent deaths are good. That is just Naughty Dog giving you checkpoints to stop you from having to do annoying backtracking

Tigerlure said:
I unfortunately have to agree with Kowenicki or whoever mentioned Ch.2, the 3d looked slightly jaggy around the edges of the characters. Cutscenes however look pretty good in 3d. I'm playing it in 3d my first play through, but I had to temporarily switch to 2d due to head aches.

Playing on a Samsung D7000 by the way

I think I was using the same TV when I played the start of the game in 3D. I though Nate looked good, but others looked less good, and overall it looked good. There were also a few odd things popping up, like on the grates in front of doors. I did also notice a few slowdowns, which was entirely absent during the 2D playthrough

It is, however, quite impressive still, though I do think we will need to wait until PS4 for proper 3D, as this seems to be the best that consoles are capable of

Dr.Grass said:
kowenicki said:
raygun said:
One thing better for me, is that it's in 3D! I love 3D, killzone 3 was for the most part great in 3d, but the jungle had a lot of texture pop in. Crysis 2 had all kinds of 3d issues, particles weren't 3d, looking through glass, etc. So far, i'm at chapter 11, U3 has been one of the best 3d games to play, that and Resistance 3. I wish they let us select more parallax though, i've got the 3d slider at max and feel it could use a lot more.

Like all bigger 3d games this gen... its poor.  Gears 3 is poor in 3d, this is poor in 3d.

Its a gimmick and the price you pay in clarity and resolution isnt worth it.

Better off enjoying it in 2D imo.

Only smaller titles, such as Wipeout, really work in 3D.

You don't have a 3D TV do you? Or if you have then you haven't played U3 in 3D have you?

This must be the case because I am always super critical about graphics and playing U3 on my bro's new Samsung D series TV is the most breathtaking thing I've seen this side of Battlefield 3 on a monster pc.

"Better off enjoying it in 2D imo."

This is what everyone without a 3D TV says.

Your actually better off using the TV 2D to 3D converter then the game 3D mode itself. The 3D is poor actually. Loads of crosstalk, aliazing and drop in resolution. Personally, I use the TV convert function and not the game 3D mode.