By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When will the 4th REAL Mario game release? UPDATED!!!!

When will the 4th REAL Mario game release?

Wii-U launch 2012 15 18.99%

2013-2015 28 35.44%

2015-2020 4 5.06%

2020-2031 4 5.06%

2032. 23 years after the last one. 27 34.18%

Total:78
RolStoppable said:
Khuutra said:
RolStoppable said:

Exactly. That's what you could call Super Mario Bros. and it doesn't bother me one bit, because it is the truth.

Son of a bitch! Are you telling me that your entire part in this discussion is existent only because you don't grasp the nuance of the OP's use of the term "REAL Mario game" in English?

I don't know. You will have to explain what exactly this thread is about, so I can see whether or not I grasped it.

This thread is about marginalizing the existence of and quality of Mario games that are not "REAL" Mario games; in this context, "REAL" is referring to a measure of legitimacy as much as adherence to core principles. Saying "that's not a REAL Mario game" is, in this context, also synonymous with reducing the game's worth.

(your own definition of "real" Mario games is problematic, but for a different reason, namely in that Super Mario Bros. is a spin-off of Mario Bros.)

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

I guess I've understood it then. The thing is, as much as it may hurt you and others, those games he called not real Mario games are of lesser worth. If that wasn't true, these games would sell in the same ballpark as the games he called the real ones. I think the problem is that most people equate being worth less with being worth nothing.

Or just let us turn this around. The Super Mario Bros. games (the real games) are worth more than the others. Sounds less offensive to me.

Then again, maybe I didn't grasp it, because I can't say for sure what the problem is. Fire Emblem is worth less than The Legend of Zelda. Doesn't sound wrong me, but those are two different brands. Link's Crossbow Training is worth less than Twilight Princess. Yup, I think that's more like it.

Another thought is that you people completely ignore the sales perspective and go strictly by the quality you perceive in these games. But what makes you think that your personal taste is more important than the consensus that is arrived at through sales numbers? All these Mario games launch under very similar conditions: good development budget, good marketing budget, full attention by Nintendo. There are no notable disadvantages for any title, so it's fair game.

3D Mario games are worth less than Super Mario Bros. games, but they are still worth more than the vast majority of other games out there.

Khuutra, a word of advice if I completely missed the point here. Think of an example that turns the tables around and makes me see what you people see.

There is no absolute metric of quality outside of personal experience; other people's metrics of quality should not matter to you, nor do they to me, but on that same token one should not shit on what other people care about.

I don't believe in using analogy when I can just say what I mean to say.

"Worth" in this case is not a measure of financial value.

RolStoppable said:
Khuutra said:

There is no absolute metric of quality outside of personal experience; other people's metrics of quality should not matter to you, nor do they to me, but on that same token one should not shit on what other people care about.

I don't believe in using analogy when I can just say what I mean to say.

"Worth" in this case is not a measure of financial value.

If you say it like that, why did so many people respond to this thread? It shouldn't matter to them what Pyro thinks, especially since they don't seem to value his opinion in the first place.

Essentially, you just backstabbed yourself and all other people who were rallying against Pyro in this thread.

I can safely ignore the thread - the first post, anyway. But no, when he presses the point on other people and insists that their own value metrics are invalid? THat's ridiculous. You'll notice that my first real reply to him was essentially the same - the others before that only outlined my own value metric.

I have no shame in coming in here and saying this whole exercise is intellectually bankrupt. Trying to rile people up is a shitty thing to do.

RolStoppable said:
Khuutra said:

I can safely ignore the thread - the first post, anyway. But no, when he presses the point on other people and insists that their own value metrics are invalid? THat's ridiculous. You'll notice that my first real reply to him was essentially the same - the others before that only outlined my own value metric.

I have no shame in coming in here and saying this whole exercise is intellectually bankrupt. Trying to rile people up is a shitty thing to do.

Yes, trying to rile up other people is mean-spirited, but it's your choice to let it happen. He doesn't have that power, only you do.

No. People are not at fault for being victims, because not all of them hold that other's value sets for video games don't matter. He doesn't have the power to control their reactions, but he does have the power to reasonably expect that their reaction will take a certain form, which would mean he's trolling.

So which is it, Rol? Is he trolling, or is he just attacking other people's ways of thinking? Which option should he be called out on? Which not?

RolStoppable said:
Khuutra said:

No. People are not at fault for being victims, because not all of them hold that other's value sets for video games don't matter. He doesn't have the power to control their reactions, but he does have the power to reasonably expect that their reaction will take a certain form, which would mean he's trolling.

So which is it, Rol? Is he trolling, or is he just attacking other people's ways of thinking? Which option should he be called out on? Which not?

Based on the evidence, he is guilty of both.

In that case I apologize for nothing that I have said, and hold that the intent of this topic was underhanded and wrong-headed, and that it is up to no one person to try to detract from what other people like.

Around the Network

@ Khuutra

I didn't force my views on anybody, I just corrected their uninformed opinion. Don't blame me if they're wrong.
I knew the dates MK7 and 3DSLand released, I just couldn't pass up that opportunity. Don't get pissy just because I think mobile ports are drastically inferior to the home console versions.

EDIT: You have a cheek to accuse me of trolling when using your logic CD-i Hotel Mario is as much a real Mario as SMB3. Nicely done.

@Rol
It's a tough question to ask. Can't say mainline or main series because these days they aren't. Can't say Mario Bros because that includes the singlescreen original. Can't say Super Mario Bros because that excludes SMW whilst wrongly including SMB2. Had to have a way to exclude Lost Levels and Allstars because they aren't REAL Mario games, just as a minor update including Miis or a HD Allstars collection for Wii-U wouldn't be a REAL Mario game. I don't like using '2d' because it isn't. It's the REAL Mario so it doesn't need a prefix, it's the spinoffs that do. I also wanted to intentionally point out that there has only been 3, maybe 4, yet it's the most successful game ....er.....ever.

Yeah, I think we'll see one on Wii-U. If it's a launch game using some screen gimmickry and hurting local multiplayer then it should be put in the same box as Lost Levels. The real Mario game will probably come much later after several 3D spinoffs.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Rol are you telling me you think that is tongue-in-cheek?

RolStoppable said:

Alright, apparently not everyone knows which games I was talking about. Ruby/Sapphire/Diamond/Pearl/Black/White and the third iteration of each Pokémon generation. That's the games I couldn't be bothered to spell out.

My argument holds water because sales numbers prove it. If you compare the sales of Super Mario Bros. games to the 3D Mario titles you will instantly spot a big difference. So either the 3D Mario games are indeed spinoffs (a different kind of game) and that's why they didn't sell better or they were all bad Mario games and that's why they didn't sell better. Personally, I like the 3D Mario games and can't see an objective reason to call them bad, so I am going with the spinoff option, because it makes much more sense.

You make it sound like Mario had to undergo no changes when the step into the third dimension was taken, but that's not the case at all. I hope that I don't have to explain everything in detail, because the differences should be obvious. Likewise, the games preceding Super Mario Bros. do not belong to the series, because the gameplay is vastly different.

As for your movie analogy, you are using it wrong. What it applies to is Super Mario All-Stars, but that doesn't help your point at all.

Sales numbers don't prove something is not a legitamite entry in a series. Plenty of series have a lack of sales depending on the film, song or game. If Rihanna's song doesn't sell as many copies as one of her singles is it any less a Rihanna song? In technology their are products like Virtual Boy or many of the Apple products during their struggling period that failed to deliver large sales. Were those products any less legit?

In fact the 3D Mario's still sold fabulously and the difference in sales does not equal a difference in franchise. I'll use Metal Gear Solid again on the NES it didn't sell well at all compared to its later 4 titles on the last three generations consoles. Does that mean the earlier games were not Metal Gear games?

Another example would be the upcoming Bourne movie, it doesn't feature Jason Bourne but its from the same writer set in the same Universe with a similar plot line. It is part of the same series yet takes the series in a slightly different direction. Does that mean that the new Bourne movie isn't a Bourne Movie?

Also yes I am aware that the Mario franchise has evolved big time ever since DonkeyKong, but every game adds something new and 3D just helped revolutionalize Mario games. It did not change their essense and many aspects remain the same despite any changes. The gameplay while it did change with 3D it still remained essentially the same (Platforming) it didn't go into a different genre.

P.S- I know you don't agree with Pyro's stance so I don't know why you'd make a big deal of it. Fact is Super Mario World is no less a legit Mario entry then SuperMarioBros, MarioBros is a Mario game just as much as any other. If you think 3D is essentially an entirely different franchise (Spin off) I guess that is your personal opinion but by that logic the majority of franchises have spun off. Almost every game that has evolved is a spin off. If you can't evolve a product and improve it without being called a spin-off how could you possibly maintain the core franchise?

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Pyro as Bill said:
Level1Death said:
Your reason for not including SMW is ridiculous. I can live with SMB2, Lost Levels and SMW2 not counting.

World is a Yoshi Island prequel, not a Mario sequel.

More puzzle than platformer.

My head hurt after I read this... not sure if serious, or if just trying too hard to be like Rol.

In any event, there are 4 main Mario games in the original series... Super Mario Bros., SMB2 / Lost Levels, SMB3, and SMW, which was also subtitled SMB4 for the Japanese release... so the question should be when will the 5TH real SMB game be released, as there has never been a direct sequel to the original 2D Mario series beyond World.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

@ Pyro as Bill I get what you're trying to do in your recent threads and respect it, but you really need to come up with better ideas.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger