By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - How can I convince you guys that lacrosse is the greatest sport in the world?

If it had a manly name like Thrash Ball, you wouldn't need to convince me. Lacrosse just sounds like a sissy sport. Two men playing with a beach ball sounds manlier.

Around the Network
yo_john117 said:
SamuelRSmith said:
yo_john117 said:
SamuelRSmith said:
yo_john117 said:
SamuelRSmith said:
yo_john117 said:

I can answer that pretty easily....you can't

Not even if I told you that the only lacrosse video games out there are exclusive to the 360?

(in fairness, though, they suck balls.)

That makes me dislike it even more! I don't want that on my 360

Them's fighting words!

Bring it on! Lets settle this like real men and play football in Kinect Sports Season Two!

Kinect? I'm far too cheap for that. I'll see if I can squirm my way a unit for, like, £15. If not, I challenge you to a Peggle duel (yeah, I managed to buy £10 worth of Microsoft points for £5...)

Hmmm a Peggle dual does sound very manly. Yes I believe that would be the best way to go since I'm to cheap to own Kinect as well.

It's bro-down time!

d21lewis said:
If it had a manly name like Thrash Ball, you wouldn't need to convince me. Lacrosse just sounds like a sissy sport. Two men playing with a beach ball sounds manlier.

It does have a sissy name, you can thank the French for that. Before French settlers arrived in certain parts of NA, Lacrosse had no "civilized" name, they named it because they thought the heads on the sticks looked a bit like the staff carried by bishops (which is called a cross, or something).

The sport itself is not sissy in any way, though. The Native Americans used lacrosse as a training exercise for its warriors, in fact, lacrosse games used to be played as a substitute for war between tribes - games of lacrosse were used to settle land disputes/etc. This explains the agressive nature behind the sport: the original athletes were trained to kill, and had a lot to be playing over. Before the game was formalized, the games could last for days, and the pitches could be miles long.

The head of the MLL (Major Leage Lacrosse) said it right "it's got the hits of football, except the players are armed with metal sticks that they can whack each other with, too".

You can't. It's just....well, it's just not cricket.

SamuelRSmith said:
mrstickball said:
Its my 3rd favorite sport behind American Football and Basketball.

My local university, Ohio State, has a big Lax game every year in April. They do a 2-for-1 during the Buckeye Spring Game. For $5, you get a ticket to both the Lacrosse and Football game. Because of that, OSU has virtually every attendance record for Lacrosse... Somewhere in the area of 60,000+ people watch the matches.

I remember you saying before, and that sounds awesome. If there's one thing America does very well, it's sports. Your highschool/collegiate programmes are so highly organized and competitive compared to just about every other country in the world - It's easy to see that it's these programs that lead to American dominance in most sports.

I mean, here, in the UK, there is no organisation, at the University level, in any sports. The teams have to organize themselves, enter themselves into leagues/tournaments, very few universities offer any kind of scholarship for athletes, in fact in my uni, you actually have to PAY to play for the Uni. As a result, athletes put nowhere near as much effort in, and you don't get the training to play at club/major/international level like you do in America.

The only sport we're any good at organizing is soccer... at youth level. Once you reach highschool, there's a little organization, and zero at collegiate. It's easy to see why we suck at sports.

So this leads me to ask...When are you moving to America again?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
SamuelRSmith said:
mrstickball said:
Its my 3rd favorite sport behind American Football and Basketball.

My local university, Ohio State, has a big Lax game every year in April. They do a 2-for-1 during the Buckeye Spring Game. For $5, you get a ticket to both the Lacrosse and Football game. Because of that, OSU has virtually every attendance record for Lacrosse... Somewhere in the area of 60,000+ people watch the matches.

I remember you saying before, and that sounds awesome. If there's one thing America does very well, it's sports. Your highschool/collegiate programmes are so highly organized and competitive compared to just about every other country in the world - It's easy to see that it's these programs that lead to American dominance in most sports.

I mean, here, in the UK, there is no organisation, at the University level, in any sports. The teams have to organize themselves, enter themselves into leagues/tournaments, very few universities offer any kind of scholarship for athletes, in fact in my uni, you actually have to PAY to play for the Uni. As a result, athletes put nowhere near as much effort in, and you don't get the training to play at club/major/international level like you do in America.

The only sport we're any good at organizing is soccer... at youth level. Once you reach highschool, there's a little organization, and zero at collegiate. It's easy to see why we suck at sports.

So this leads me to ask...When are you moving to America again?

Well, I'm currently trying to find myself a placement for next year. My course is a 4 year course (Computer Science), but you spend the third year (which starts next September) working in the industry. I'm trying my damndest to get a placement out in the USA. My hope is that if I perform well enough during my placement year, there'll be a job offer when I finish my fourth year at Uni. Otherwise, it'll be as soon as I can afford to take the risk (work for a few years, stick to renting, avoid having children, save up some money, move out there).

SamuelRSmith said:
yo_john117 said:
SamuelRSmith said:
yo_john117 said:
SamuelRSmith said:
yo_john117 said:
SamuelRSmith said:
yo_john117 said:

I can answer that pretty easily....you can't

Not even if I told you that the only lacrosse video games out there are exclusive to the 360?

(in fairness, though, they suck balls.)

That makes me dislike it even more! I don't want that on my 360

Them's fighting words!

Bring it on! Lets settle this like real men and play football in Kinect Sports Season Two!

Kinect? I'm far too cheap for that. I'll see if I can squirm my way a unit for, like, £15. If not, I challenge you to a Peggle duel (yeah, I managed to buy £10 worth of Microsoft points for £5...)

Hmmm a Peggle dual does sound very manly. Yes I believe that would be the best way to go since I'm to cheap to own Kinect as well.

It's bro-down time!

http://www.dramabutton.com/

No one and nothing can convince me that some other sport is better than judo.

It will require pictures of bare chested lacrosse players. Then I'll judge if they are indeed better the football or tennis players.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
It will require pictures of bare chested lacrosse players. Then I'll judge if they are indeed better the football or tennis players.