By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - New Line goes Blu !

Anyways , its only a matter of time untill region locks will be used ... smaller releases will probably never ,,benefit " from this feature ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

I'm not sure if that's a confirmation, since the report came yesterday.

Yet even if it is, why do so many think Lord of the Rings will come to blu-ray here because of that. New Line was making films for blu-ray in the first place. Why would being neutral have stopped them before?

And don't give me any crap about being made specifically for blu-ray. Your comments are not about that.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

New Line were holding off with the LOTR's for some reason. It may have been because of the size of the films. Seeing as they wouldn't have fit on a HD-DVD. But should fit nicely on a 50GB disc. Or maybe they were waiting for the 51GB HD-DVD disc to then release them on both formats...but this now looks like it will be BR exclusive.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

davygee said:
New Line were holding off with the LOTR's for some reason. It may have been because of the size of the films. Seeing as they wouldn't have fit on a HD-DVD. But should fit nicely on a 50GB disc. Or maybe they were waiting for the 51GB HD-DVD disc to then release them on both formats...but this now looks like it will be BR exclusive.

Or what about the 1.1 profile, allowing most of the playback features HD-DVD had? Have you all forgotten about that?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

LordTheNightKnight said:
davygee said:

Or what about the 1.1 profile, allowing most of the playback features HD-DVD had? Have you all forgotten about that?

Man, why are you so angry about this?  People that invested in hd-dvd had to know this was going to happen.  At best I was resigned to having to get a combo player or hd-dvd myself eventually because I figured both formats would survive.  I'm glad it might not come to that now.  Just suck it up.

Why do we need to remember the all-important picture-in-picture commentary that soooo many people utilize?  I listen to commentary tracks and will use the new 1.1 feature, but that's not a make or break.  It is much more important to me that blu-ray discs can not be damaged and have more space available.  But hey, whatever, it's here now and with my PS3 I'll get all the updates I'll ever need.

LotR will come eventually, so why are you so upset that people might not realize the reason for New Line delaying its release?  Who cares?  We know it will come eventually. 

Around the Network

A PS3 supporter telling someone "they should have known what they were getting into when things went bad"? Now if that isn't irony I don't know what is.

Seriously though:

This is good news for Blu-Ray however I can only wonder how much Blu-Ray's emerging dominance will help adoption of the HD market in households much ales help Sony's financial situation or for that matter help the PS3 as a gaming console. Only time will tell. I just want to caution people against assuming Blu-Ray beating HD-DVD garantees an acceptance of HD formats or any real success for the PS3.

windbane said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
davygee said:

Man, why are you so angry about this? People that invested in hd-dvd had to know this was going to happen. At best I was resigned to having to get a combo player or hd-dvd myself eventually because I figured both formats would survive. I'm glad it might not come to that now. Just suck it up.

Why do we need to remember the all-important picture-in-picture commentary that soooo many people utilize? I listen to commentary tracks and will use the new 1.1 feature, but that's not a make or break. It is much more important to me that blu-ray discs can not be damaged and have more space available. But hey, whatever, it's here now and with my PS3 I'll get all the updates I'll ever need.

LotR will come eventually, so why are you so upset that people might not realize the reason for New Line delaying its release? Who cares? We know it will come eventually.

If people kept saying something so blatantly stupid around you, wouldn't you get annoyed? And the fact is that Warner actually said at one point that it was the HD-DVD exclusive features that held back films like Batman Begins and The Matrix. HD-DVD neutrality had nothing to do with it.

LordTheNightKnight said:
windbane said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
davygee said:

Man, why are you so angry about this? People that invested in hd-dvd had to know this was going to happen. At best I was resigned to having to get a combo player or hd-dvd myself eventually because I figured both formats would survive. I'm glad it might not come to that now. Just suck it up.

Why do we need to remember the all-important picture-in-picture commentary that soooo many people utilize? I listen to commentary tracks and will use the new 1.1 feature, but that's not a make or break. It is much more important to me that blu-ray discs can not be damaged and have more space available. But hey, whatever, it's here now and with my PS3 I'll get all the updates I'll ever need.

LotR will come eventually, so why are you so upset that people might not realize the reason for New Line delaying its release? Who cares? We know it will come eventually.

If people kept saying something so blatantly stupid around you, wouldn't you get annoyed? And the fact is that Warner actually said at one point that it was the HD-DVD exclusive features that held back films like Batman Begins and The Matrix. HD-DVD neutrality had nothing to do with it.

Well unless you know why LotR has been delayed thus far, then stop attacking people for not knowing the reason you think it is.  Who cares as long as it ends up on the format you have? 

Onimusha12 said:

A PS3 supporter telling someone "they should have known what they were getting into when things went bad"? Now if that isn't irony I don't know what is.

Seriously though:

This is good news for Blu-Ray however I can only wonder how much Blu-Ray's emerging dominance will help adoption of the HD market in households much ales help Sony's financial situation or for that matter help the PS3 as a gaming console. Only time will tell. I just want to caution people against assuming Blu-Ray beating HD-DVD garantees an acceptance of HD formats or any real success for the PS3.

What exactly have I gotten into by having the PS3?  So far the major downside was NCAA Football for me.  Other than that, I have not suffered.  I knew going into keeping the PS3 that I would get to play MGS4 and FF13.  As far as I know those games are still coming out.  I figured it would take awhile for the PS3 to pick up speed, and it has, and 2008 looks to be a great year.   Not seeing the problem.

Blu-ray winning is a nice early bonus. 

windbane said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
windbane said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
davygee said:

Well unless you know why LotR has been delayed thus far, then stop attacking people for not knowing the reason you think it is. Who cares as long as it ends up on the format you have?

But even if they don't know that, they DO know that NL has been HD neutral in the first place, so the reason they are assuming is wrong as well.