By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - How are 100 American troops really going to help out the situation in Central Africa?

Should America Participate?

Yes 5 29.41%

NO 11 64.71%

Tricky situation. 1 5.88%

other 0 0%

Total:17

One of my best friends has been fighting for and doing everything he can to help out this organization that helps these "invisible children" as they call them. Instead of going into detail, I'll just post his two most recent facebook updates:

"Today is a milestone for Invisible Children and for the people of Central Africa. It is a giant step toward bringing Joseph Kony and the Lord's Resistance Army to justice. Today, we ask you to continue sharing the story. This is not over: http://bit.ly/pb6Q9K "

"With the deployment of 100 US troops to Central Africa, we now see that Invisible Children’s past 8 years of work has not been in vain. But where do we go from here? We do not relent. We remain steadfast in our mission to bring peace to those affected by the LRA and Joseph Kony. We continue to share the stories of the invisible: http://bit.ly/pb6Q9K "

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
I am sure this is great for the people suffering in Central Africa. I just was in Afghanistan a few years back. Many people who suffer. At this point, this seems alright, as long as more troops are not added. This seems like more of a job for NATO though?

Really it's a job for the African Union

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

how much more stuff do they have to do before they bring on the new world order and the rfid chips?

They really need to take this guy out. I made a video project about the horrible thing that war monger has done to children. Researching this topic moved me to tears and my high school teacher still shows my video in class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

You'd be surprised what 100 heavily equipped "advisers" can do.

The LRA is supposed to be between 500-3000 troops.

So 100 well equiped US soldiers could certaintly pick off groups of that army and scatter them.  Espiecally if supported by local troops.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
enditall727 said:

how much more stuff do they have to do before they bring on the new world order and the rfid chips?

So you think America is going to do this?

of course!

i mean isn't it obvious?

Oh and if we should do it or not.

I'm pretty non-interventionist, to the point I was against Libya.

However, if all it'd take is 100 US Special ops troops to take down one of the more brutal child forcing rapist rebel groups in the world... and they ask us there...

that I can deal with.

spurgeonryan said:
Signalstar said:
They really need to take this guy out. I made a video project about the horrible thing that war monger has done to children. Researching this topic moved me to tears and my high school teacher still shows my video in class.

this is true. but unless the rest of the world helps out more everything cannot be handled. burma. north korea. iran .palestine and isreal. afganistan. iraq. and the list goes on. why dont we get a story that says 100 brazilian soldiers head to burma to advise. where are those stories. or am i just not seeing that side . sorry about the punctuation i am in church on my phone.

Well this is simple the Brazilian Army isn't capable of offering any good advise. Brazil themselves can't control their own country their military is incapable of hunting down even the mobsters hiding in plain site. It would be like asking for the Mexican Army or maybe the Afghan Army to send advisors.

In a situation like this the advisors need to come from a military that is capable of giving good advice. In other words the advisors need to come from a NATO member or one of the bigger military powers. Actually you hear of hundreds of Canadian troops being sent all over to advise other countries. Same goes for the UK, France , Germany and many other NATO members.

As for sending combat troops, I think deploying 100 or so combat marines would be very helpful in hunting down this coward and also training and equiping the nation's armies to fight him themselves.

As others said this is really an AU mission, but the African Union is incapable of securing Africa and putting down rebelions and insurgencies and actually providing peace and stability to Africa. The organization is very under funded and the countries who contribute are under equiped lacking the military capabilities to conduct these operations on their own.Uganda is a major player in the AU, if they can't stop the violence and restore peace and order to their country how can they be expected to bring peace and order to the other countries of the AU?

As for this being a job for NATO, no not really NATO is an organization that defends its member states against military threats. It intervenes in some cases to protect the interests of its member countries.

This is a job for the UN, the UN should be bringing in peace keepers from across the globe to restore order and help Uganda. Unfortunetly most of the UN's members states are cowards who do not contribute troops to peace keeping operations on a regular basis. Why don't we see Russian Peace Keepers deployed outside of former Soviet States? Yah their are some but you don't see Russia sending 1,000 peace keepers to this country or that country. Same goes for China, where are the Chinese peace keepers? China is so worried about the chaos going on in North Africa, they invest hundreds of millions into the countries. Yet when those countries are begging the UN for help , China doesn't contribute peace keepers to the operations.

Nato so often gets dragged into these conflicts because they are the only ones who will support the UN. The rest of the world uses the UN when its conveniant and they never do anything to support the UN.

But in all honesty this shouldn't be a NATO mission it should be a UN one. The forces taking part should come from Africa, Middle East and Eastern Europe as well as from the rest of the globe!

Example, China and Russia always get pissed off at Nato being involved in these peace keeping operations, yet they don't contribute much if any force to support the UN laws and rules they themselves pass.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer