By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - C.A.R.S a amazing looking new community driven racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios and an ex Stig!

Sim Racing News

C.A.R.S. Released Today

by John P on October 11, 2011 · 5 comments

Slightly Mad Studios has been working on its Community Assisted Racing Sim (C.A.R.S.) for quite some time after its work on the Need for Speed Shift series. Details of both its World of Mass Development platform and its first project have been revealed today.

Once gamers become paid contributors to C.A.R.S., they will be able to download a work-in-progress build. Available in the current build is a Free Practice mode (no opponents, infinite laps) on the tracks of Bologna and Connecticut Hill. The are eight cars available: the Asano LM11 TDX, the Asano X4 Touring, the Formula B, the Leonus F68 Cromwell, the Leonus F77 Cromwell, the Leonus F86 Pirault Turbo, the Racer L4-RS, and the Racer V8-RS.

C.A.R.S. boasts a franchise mode that spans multiple motorsports, the ability to play co-op with a friend as driver/co-driver, a revolutionary PIT-2-CAR radio, and an exciting new way to experience pit stops.

Be sure to check out the list of all the other features, hear what “The Stig” has to say about C.A.R.S., and visit the list of perks for donating after the jump: 

• FRANCHISE MODE allows you to carve out a personalized career starting in the Karting world and then progressing on to whichever motorsport specialization you prefer including Rally, Touring Cars, Open-Wheel, GT, Le Mans, and many more!
  • FULL TEAM MANAGEMENT… Have a large number of friends? Create, manage, and compete together!
  • DYNAMIC Time Of Day & Localized Weather make every race unique and challenging
  • 10+ GAME MODES covering every form of motorsport
  • CLOUD-BASED SOCIAL NETWORK allows you to connect with friends, compare times & scores, compete and challenge each other, and share content
  • USER-GENERATED CONTENT – Create your own liveries, decals, tuning setups, and even events! Then share them with the world – either for free, in-game credits or even real money!
  • PUSHING TO THE LIMITS – Advanced physics, lighting, and AI

Ben “The Stig” Collins from Top Gear has joined the C.A.R.S. project to provide authentic driver input. Here’s what he has to say:

I’m delighted to be working on the C.A.R.S. project to create the best racing simulation in the world! Computer ‘games’ and simulations have become integral to success on the race track and I will be applying all my racing knowledge to provide handling input and advice to the builds on a regular basis. I’m also looking forward to meeting some of the project’s contributors at the trackday events and working with SMS’s team of experts, whose passion and pedigree will be key to the development of this incredibly exciting new model.”

The WMD Tool Pack outlined previously not only gives you certain levels of access to the game and its developers, it also gives you tiered access to perks (what looks like DLC in most other games). You have to be at least a “team member” to receive exclusive cars and a “senior” for exclusive tracks later in development. Check out all the C.A.R.S. perks and compare them to the level of involvement you want in C.A.R.S.’ mass development process to decide what is best for you.

http://www.racesimcentral.com/news/2011/10/c-a-r-s-playable-today-game-modes-perks-and-the-stig-revealed/

The game is still an Alpha but looks amazing 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network

Looks like a very nice F1 racing sim.

The OP is a bit off on the right side, cutting off a word or two every line.

MasterVG71782 said:
Looks like a very nice F1 racing sim.

The OP is a bit off on the right side, cutting off a word or two every line.

That's what I get for copy and paste eh, should be fixed now

And it's going to be much more than a F1 sim, it's a full on Gran Turismos competitor

THE ULTIMATE DRIVER JOURNEY BEGINS HERE!

C.A.R.S. represents the definitive racing simulation...
  • FRANCHISE MODE allows you to carve out a personalized career starting in the Karting world and then progressing on to whichever motorsport specialization you prefer including Rally, Touring Cars, Open-Wheel, GT, Le Mans, and many more!

• Play CO-OP with a friend as Driver/Co-Driver

• FULL TEAM MANAGEMENT... Have a large number of friends? Create, manage, and compete together!

• Experience the excitement of PIT STOPS like you've never seen before!

• Revolutionary PIT-2-CAR RADIO gives you the strategic advantage

• DYNAMIC Time Of Day & Localized Weather make every race unique and challenging

• 10+ GAME MODES covering every form of motorsport

• CLOUD-BASED SOCIAL NETWORK allows you to connect with friends, compare times & scores, compete and challenge each other, and share content

• USER-GENERATED CONTENT - Create your own liveries, decals, tuning setups, and even events! Then share them with the world - either for free, in-game credits or even real money!

• PUSHING TO THE LIMITS - Advanced physics, lighting, and AI

http://www.wmdportal.com/projects/cars/

The benefit of it's crowd sourcing model with user generated content is that while the studio makes a solid game the large and highly motivated sim racing comunity will help flesh it out with every game mode, race type, event, track and car you can think of. Also as they plan on using it as a sim for racer training the big racing teams will ensure that everything to do with the big events like F1 will be modeled as realistically as possible. In a few years this game will probably be the definitive racing sim. 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Some work in progress images

2011 Gumpert Apollo Sport

2011 Asano X4 Touring

Racer L4-RS

@TheVoxelman on twitter

interesting concept, i dont know about the whole if we get xxx sales you will get this much back, just simply state if you invest you get a share in the pie. This gives false hope and may trick investors.

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

Around the Network
mchaza said:
interesting concept, i dont know about the whole if we get xxx sales you will get this much back, just simply state if you invest you get a share in the pie. This gives false hope and may trick investors.

You don't have to invest they are just giving the opertunity to people who want to work on the game the potential to be rewarded for their contributions (you can't just buy the game and get a return). You can just pay to have early access to the game and direct access to the development team and give bug reports, and if you want you can pay more to get access to the dev tools and contribute to the game for the potential to be given a share in any of the profits for any workthey use in the game, it's not like you are just buying shares. It is clearly labled on the site that it is not an investemnt opertunity so I can't really see how it is meant to trick people into giving them money and expect to get a return. Think of it more as the opertunity to work on the game as a freelancer in exchange for a cut of the profits of the final product.

They do have a seperate set of investment opertunities for groups/businesses if people want to go that route.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Looks great, and the timing is competative.. ISI just released the first rFacter 2 trailer

community support for rFactor will be crazy.. just like with the first one..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

kowenicki said:
"Ben "The Stig" Collins"??

He isnt The Stig..... He is an ex stig... he has ceased to be... he has gon.... etc etc.

Happy?

@TheVoxelman on twitter

The graphics look incredible. PC only I take it right?

yo_john117 said:
The graphics look incredible. PC only I take it right?

For now, the devs say they may look at porting the game when the PC version is in a finnished state. It will probably end up hitting next gen consoles as they say the PC version will take 2+ years.

@TheVoxelman on twitter