By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What I would like to see from Warner's move, to push blu-ray to mainstream.

ShadowPro said:
Screw this format war, it's meaningless for everybody exept technology fanatics.
I'm amazed how this can make fanboys out of people.

The fanboys are not the tech fans. The fanboys would jump on anything, just to prove they are "better" than the people who take the "other" side. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:

What does the last paragraph have to do with features specific to HD films? That was what that sentence you quoted in the OP meant. And if an upcoming feature was simple and appealing as the Wiimote, it would be a gimmick that worked.

The point was just a few months ago I would be with the 75% (in OP article) who didn't care about Blu-ray HD. Sometimes it just takes time for something to catch on. The Wii remote isn't all that new  in itself as I have used a TRACKIR on the PC (just in the opposide direction), works great for flight sims. It's just now I see a lot of commericals on TV which speaks of a movie on DVD and Blu-ray so who knows if  most those same 75% will have Blu-ray by next year. The fact Sony put a Blu-Ray movie with the PS3 was a smart move. Yet I agree I will still continue to watch DVD but when given the choice I prefer Blu-ray.

Smidlee said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

What does the last paragraph have to do with features specific to HD films? That was what that sentence you quoted in the OP meant. And if an upcoming feature was simple and appealing as the Wiimote, it would be a gimmick that worked.

The point was just a few months ago I would be with the 75% (in OP article) who didn't care about Blu-ray HD. Sometimes it just takes time for something to catch on. The Wii remote isn't all that new in itself as I have used a TRACKIR on the PC (just in the opposide direction), works great for flight sims. It's just now I see a lot of commericals on TV which speaks of a movie on DVD and Blu-ray so who knows if most those same 75% will have Blu-ray by next year.

This still does not disprove my comment about HD-DVD and blu-ray having mostly gimmicks at the moment. And it wasn't just marketing of the Wiimote that made it not a gimmick. It was the marketing of how it's used. If that was done withh your TRAKIR, it would not have given it mass appeal. The HD films need more things with mass appeal.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Sony has already made the Blu-Ray player more than just for movies. While Sony hasn't sold Blu-Ray ( a much higher cost) as much as the Big N with it's controller, it still has made an impact. Remember the Blu-ray can hold 25-50 GB.(as well as not have to spin the disc so fast) So as soon as HD DVD is out of the way Blu-ray may become the standard especially if a Blu-Ray burner shows up soon. Even If most still have SD TV it's possible you can put (unless I misunderstood) an entire season in SD on one disc.

Smidlee said:
Sony has already made the Blu-Ray player more than just for movies. While Sony hasn't sold Blu-Ray ( a much higher cost) as much as the Big N with it's controller, it still has made an impact. Remember the Blu-ray can hold 25-50 GB.(as well as not have to spin the disc so fast) So as soon as HD DVD is out of the way Blu-ray may become the standard especially if a Blu-Ray burner shows up soon. Even If most still have SD TV it's possible you can put (unless I misunderstood) an entire season in SD on one disc.

They could to that, but the truth is that you can do the same with multiple DVD, and that consumers have shown over and over again that they don't care about multiple discs. Such a benefit is a miniscule one.

And HD-DVD is not holding blu-ray back from being the standard. It's regular DVD. This is what a lot of the fanboys don't get (aside from the trolls, who care far less about this than they claim). 

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:

There is a difference between what Warner's move will mean to HD-DVD and what it will mean to mainstream consumers. Since NPD has shown just 11% of HDTV owners care about HD films, regardless of format, anoyone who says this will push blu-ray to sell much better is kidding themselves.

I want HD to go mainstream, even if it doesn't overtake DVD. I would like to see some films in HD, but so far blu-ray and HD-DVD are just DVD with a few gimmicks.

The point of this thread is what this move should encourage, in order to push HD to mainstream. So let's pretend we are in charge of one company or studio, and what we would do to push Hd development.

For me, if I was in charge of Toshiba, I would have HD-DVD not give up mainly for the sake of competition. If you look at the VHS vs Betamax, you would see that sales still grew for VHS, even with Beta around. What also grew was the tech. Beta kept coming up with ways to increase the length and quality of its tapes, and VHS kept up.

So if nothing else, HD-DVD should stick around for a while just to keep blu-ray from turning complacent. That's why I would have HD-DVD drop the MSRP of its movies. Sure it would stink of desperation, but mainstream HDTV owners wouldn't care, anymore than they cared that Nintendo rushed the DS, and then did a quick redesign.  Thus it would likely push sales. Now if it does, that would encourage blu-ray to follow suit, especially since the greater film library would mean more sales.

Secondly, since both formats are programmable, unlike DVD, I would have the best programmers I can get exploring what new features are possible, even if some require firmware updates (blu-rays have the space to just include them on the disc, even without internet connections). Blu-ray is already doing this with PiP, so HD-DVD can come up with a new thing, and blu-ray can add that, or vice versa. In the end, both formats would have some spectacular stuff, that DVD can't even try.

Space would be another factor. Now both sides push their disc capacities, but competition would just drive it faster. HD-DVD has the 51GB discs, and due to this move from Warner, I would make sure to get them out faster, which would in turn mean blu-ray would work on their triple and quadruple layer discs even harder.

Plus I would have all HD-DVD supporting studios get releases out much faster, even if it means more money. This would of course mean more blu-ray releases.

Now once HD movies hit mainstream sales, I mean 25% of the market, I would see what to do to end this. Assuming this happens to blu-ray and not HD-DVD, I would quietly phase out the format. If it happens to both, I would hammer out a truce. 

First, I'd like to say that I think your premise is going to happen already.  While the format "war" may be over, there are still two fairly significant studios out there that are HD-DVD exclusive (besides SD formats).  They will need to make the most of their investment for at least the remaining terms of their contracts.  So here's what I'd do if I was in charge of lets say...Paramount.

New HD-DVD's are coming with web enabled content by virtue of having the player hooked up to the internet.  I'd push that as far and as fast as I could.  Web based flash games based on the movie content, perhaps even movie reviews, web-hosted video, whatever I can make happen.  True, that content will only appeal to a subset of the customer base, but it will help.  By making use of already available web content, I could even drive down my costs in production while still offering this "extra" feature.  Unfortunately, I'm not educated enough on the technical capabilities HD-DVD has to offer (or Blu-ray for that matter) in this regard.  The only thing I know is that Java is a programming language.....not sure about the HD-DVD side although I'd suspect it's at least similar.

The one issue I would have to contend with as an HD-DVD studio is this.  Right now there IS confusion out there among consumers as when they pop in a regular SD DVD they often get an ad about "the future is Blu-Ray" or "the future is HD-DVD!"  So, they're not sure exactly what the future is and may be hanging back on adoption.  Now that this "war" is for all intents and purposes over...media outlets will be blaring that.  Slowly, it will catch on in the consumer consciousness that "oh!  Blu-ray IS the future, it's the next DVD." and they'll start adopting it.

To maximize my profits as an HD-DVD studio, I think I would need to shift my advertising away from proclaiming HD-DVD specifically and instead start touting my studio. For example "Paramount movie productions on high definition disk contain "x" features and the highest quality picture and sound!"  That way I can distance myself from a name recognition that's proclaimed as the "loser" or "doomed" and instead get consumers to look at my products under the broader definition of "high definition video and audio" along with the features maximized for impact and production costs as per above.  That would extend my profitability on the format, hopefully keep sales growing, and then allow me the flexibility in advertising once I'm able to switch formats.  Then I'll be able to say "Paramount ALWAYS has had the highest quality video and audio as well as special features", etc, rather than being tied as much to the HD-DVD name.

Thoughts? 

man, Lord is going to have a nervous breakdown when Uni announces BD support.

Nah, he won't. I think I've figured him out. All his posting doesn't really have much to do with HD DVD specifically at all.

jphuff said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

There is a difference between what Warner's move will mean to HD-DVD and what it will mean to mainstream consumers. Since NPD has shown just 11% of HDTV owners care about HD films, regardless of format, anoyone who says this will push blu-ray to sell much better is kidding themselves.

I want HD to go mainstream, even if it doesn't overtake DVD. I would like to see some films in HD, but so far blu-ray and HD-DVD are just DVD with a few gimmicks.

The point of this thread is what this move should encourage, in order to push HD to mainstream. So let's pretend we are in charge of one company or studio, and what we would do to push Hd development.

For me, if I was in charge of Toshiba, I would have HD-DVD not give up mainly for the sake of competition. If you look at the VHS vs Betamax, you would see that sales still grew for VHS, even with Beta around. What also grew was the tech. Beta kept coming up with ways to increase the length and quality of its tapes, and VHS kept up.

So if nothing else, HD-DVD should stick around for a while just to keep blu-ray from turning complacent. That's why I would have HD-DVD drop the MSRP of its movies. Sure it would stink of desperation, but mainstream HDTV owners wouldn't care, anymore than they cared that Nintendo rushed the DS, and then did a quick redesign. Thus it would likely push sales. Now if it does, that would encourage blu-ray to follow suit, especially since the greater film library would mean more sales.

Secondly, since both formats are programmable, unlike DVD, I would have the best programmers I can get exploring what new features are possible, even if some require firmware updates (blu-rays have the space to just include them on the disc, even without internet connections). Blu-ray is already doing this with PiP, so HD-DVD can come up with a new thing, and blu-ray can add that, or vice versa. In the end, both formats would have some spectacular stuff, that DVD can't even try.

Space would be another factor. Now both sides push their disc capacities, but competition would just drive it faster. HD-DVD has the 51GB discs, and due to this move from Warner, I would make sure to get them out faster, which would in turn mean blu-ray would work on their triple and quadruple layer discs even harder.

Plus I would have all HD-DVD supporting studios get releases out much faster, even if it means more money. This would of course mean more blu-ray releases.

Now once HD movies hit mainstream sales, I mean 25% of the market, I would see what to do to end this. Assuming this happens to blu-ray and not HD-DVD, I would quietly phase out the format. If it happens to both, I would hammer out a truce.

First, I'd like to say that I think your premise is going to happen already. While the format "war" may be over, there are still two fairly significant studios out there that are HD-DVD exclusive (besides SD formats). They will need to make the most of their investment for at least the remaining terms of their contracts. So here's what I'd do if I was in charge of lets say...Paramount.

New HD-DVD's are coming with web enabled content by virtue of having the player hooked up to the internet. I'd push that as far and as fast as I could. Web based flash games based on the movie content, perhaps even movie reviews, web-hosted video, whatever I can make happen. True, that content will only appeal to a subset of the customer base, but it will help. By making use of already available web content, I could even drive down my costs in production while still offering this "extra" feature. Unfortunately, I'm not educated enough on the technical capabilities HD-DVD has to offer (or Blu-ray for that matter) in this regard. The only thing I know is that Java is a programming language.....not sure about the HD-DVD side although I'd suspect it's at least similar.

The one issue I would have to contend with as an HD-DVD studio is this. Right now there IS confusion out there among consumers as when they pop in a regular SD DVD they often get an ad about "the future is Blu-Ray" or "the future is HD-DVD!" So, they're not sure exactly what the future is and may be hanging back on adoption. Now that this "war" is for all intents and purposes over...media outlets will be blaring that. Slowly, it will catch on in the consumer consciousness that "oh! Blu-ray IS the future, it's the next DVD." and they'll start adopting it.

To maximize my profits as an HD-DVD studio, I think I would need to shift my advertising away from proclaiming HD-DVD specifically and instead start touting my studio. For example "Paramount movie productions on high definition disk contain "x" features and the highest quality picture and sound!" That way I can distance myself from a name recognition that's proclaimed as the "loser" or "doomed" and instead get consumers to look at my products under the broader definition of "high definition video and audio" along with the features maximized for impact and production costs as per above. That would extend my profitability on the format, hopefully keep sales growing, and then allow me the flexibility in advertising once I'm able to switch formats. Then I'll be able to say "Paramount ALWAYS has had the highest quality video and audio as well as special features", etc, rather than being tied as much to the HD-DVD name.

Thoughts?

And of course the same should apply for blu-ray, even if they are in the lead, since the point would be for public awareness. 

LordTheNightKnight said:
jphuff said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

So if nothing else, HD-DVD should stick around for a while just to keep blu-ray from turning complacent. That's why I would have HD-DVD drop the MSRP of its movies. Sure it would stink of desperation, but mainstream HDTV owners wouldn't care, anymore than they cared that Nintendo rushed the DS, and then did a quick redesign. Thus it would likely push sales. Now if it does, that would encourage blu-ray to follow suit, especially since the greater film library would mean more sales.

First, I'd like to say that I think your premise is going to happen already. While the format "war" may be over, there are still two fairly significant studios out there that are HD-DVD exclusive (besides SD formats). They will need to make the most of their investment for at least the remaining terms of their contracts. So here's what I'd do if I was in charge of lets say...Paramount.

New HD-DVD's are coming with web enabled content by virtue of having the player hooked up to the internet. I'd push that as far and as fast as I could. Web based flash games based on the movie content, perhaps even movie reviews, web-hosted video, whatever I can make happen. True, that content will only appeal to a subset of the customer base, but it will help. By making use of already available web content, I could even drive down my costs in production while still offering this "extra" feature. Unfortunately, I'm not educated enough on the technical capabilities HD-DVD has to offer (or Blu-ray for that matter) in this regard. The only thing I know is that Java is a programming language.....not sure about the HD-DVD side although I'd suspect it's at least similar.

The one issue I would have to contend with as an HD-DVD studio is this. Right now there IS confusion out there among consumers as when they pop in a regular SD DVD they often get an ad about "the future is Blu-Ray" or "the future is HD-DVD!" So, they're not sure exactly what the future is and may be hanging back on adoption. Now that this "war" is for all intents and purposes over...media outlets will be blaring that. Slowly, it will catch on in the consumer consciousness that "oh! Blu-ray IS the future, it's the next DVD." and they'll start adopting it.

To maximize my profits as an HD-DVD studio, I think I would need to shift my advertising away from proclaiming HD-DVD specifically and instead start touting my studio. For example "Paramount movie productions on high definition disk contain "x" features and the highest quality picture and sound!" That way I can distance myself from a name recognition that's proclaimed as the "loser" or "doomed" and instead get consumers to look at my products under the broader definition of "high definition video and audio" along with the features maximized for impact and production costs as per above. That would extend my profitability on the format, hopefully keep sales growing, and then allow me the flexibility in advertising once I'm able to switch formats. Then I'll be able to say "Paramount ALWAYS has had the highest quality video and audio as well as special features", etc, rather than being tied as much to the HD-DVD name.

Thoughts?

And of course the same should apply for blu-ray, even if they are in the lead, since the point would be for public awareness. 

Absolutely!  Although they do have the advantage of being blared all over the media as "the winner" they should still just focus on the "High def" moniker and avoid the mention and comparison with HD-DVD so as to not INTRODUCE a certain amount of confusion on the part of consumers.  After all, some people will get confused just with the mention of more than one "brand" or type of product.  So if they focus solely on being "high def" and the quality and features like I mentioned above for HD-DVD, it would definitely benefit the BD studios more as well.  Point being in the end I guess that BOTH sides need to distance themselves from the other and focus on the "high definition" angles to avoid confusing people and to eliminate what confusion already exists.  You're absolutely right.