By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What I would like to see from Warner's move, to push blu-ray to mainstream.

Cobretti said:
iclim4 said:
Cobretti said:
I'm sorry but HD movies on discs won't tak eoff for years. You know why? Cuase stupids are putting out SHIT movies. If they brought out CLASSIC movies all the older generation would go for the format much quicker if they could be show the picutre difference. Now this probably hasn't happend as most older movies will need some remastering done to them. However that is when HD discs will start selling better.

Also huge price drops on discs and hardware.

Hell people use to buy VHS tapes for 8year after DVD come out. I myself will wait for more imporved models of stand alone player. I made that mistake with dvd players I baught one for shitloads when it come out and its features are limited to dvd of one region and VCD lol. No mp3 no xvid no jpg etcc..

So what I'm saying is alot of peopel probably did the same and are now being more careful in the first few years before they make a purchase to the next level.
that is where PS3's appeal is, the firmware updates make the ps3 Blu-ray player up-to-date.

Well I am one of those many people who likes to preserve their console lasers for "games" not movies.  

easily remedied, buy another ps3 mainly for movie viewing.
especially if you planned to buy a standalone blu-ray player.

this way you preserve your console lasers for games.
the otherone preserves its lasers for movies.
remember the ps3 is one of the cheapest and best blu-ray players out there
plus its always gonna be up-to-date which is your major gripe.
plus your blu-ray player can play games!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

Around the Network
phil said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
makingmusic476 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
makingmusic476 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
BTW, it just occurred to me about what material to release. Since sports and nature documentaries get the most HD ratings, more of those should be released. Planet Earth has some of the best legs in either format, so it shows there is a market for these in HD.

Anything that is visually appealing, really. The Lord of the Rings? Star Wars? Hell yes. Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail? Um...what's the point?

It's not quite anything that is visually appealing. Nature shows and sports can be filmes specifically for HD, while films can't, not yet. So no, those films are not likely to push their sales in HD based on visual appeal alone.

All films are filmed in analog, and .35nm film has a theoretical pixel count in the millions, if it were to be scanned and converted into digital. Most films are filmed in much much higher than HD.

Visually appealing is an artistic term. You can't just switch to pixel count, since even films that look like crap have that.

In regards to your sig: it only seems like all of the assholes are lining up behind Blu Ray right now because Blu Ray appears to be winning. I can recall about a year ago when you heard nothing from the HD DVD supporters but "LOLZ BLU RAY R SONY FAGZ" and yet another final nail in the Blu Ray coffin. Now these same people who were gloating(not pointing at you, as I don't recall seeing a single post like that from you) are bitter because they're having to taste the same medicine they were dishing out last year. I personally will not gloat, but fuck those guys. They're getting what they had coming.

I didn't have an account here a year ago. I was mainly on the g4tv forums at the time. Then they had a bunch of changes that kept glitching, so I switched here.. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:

There is a difference between what Warner's move will mean to HD-DVD and what it will mean to mainstream consumers. Since NPD has shown just 11% of HDTV owners care about HD films, regardless of format, anoyone who says this will push blu-ray to sell much better is kidding themselves.

I want HD to go mainstream, even if it doesn't overtake DVD. I would like to see some films in HD, but so far blu-ray and HD-DVD are just DVD with a few gimmicks.

You can say Nintendo controller is nothing but a gimmick yet it sells. If you ask me 6 month ago if I was planning to buy a HDTV or even a PS3 I would clearly have said no, SD TV and PC was good enough for me at that time. Yet in 6 months I now owned 2 HDTV and PS3.

iclim4 said:
Cobretti said:
iclim4 said:
Cobretti said:
I'm sorry but HD movies on discs won't tak eoff for years. You know why? Cuase stupids are putting out SHIT movies. If they brought out CLASSIC movies all the older generation would go for the format much quicker if they could be show the picutre difference. Now this probably hasn't happend as most older movies will need some remastering done to them. However that is when HD discs will start selling better.

Also huge price drops on discs and hardware.

Hell people use to buy VHS tapes for 8year after DVD come out. I myself will wait for more imporved models of stand alone player. I made that mistake with dvd players I baught one for shitloads when it come out and its features are limited to dvd of one region and VCD lol. No mp3 no xvid no jpg etcc..

So what I'm saying is alot of peopel probably did the same and are now being more careful in the first few years before they make a purchase to the next level.
that is where PS3's appeal is, the firmware updates make the ps3 Blu-ray player up-to-date.

Well I am one of those many people who likes to preserve their console lasers for "games" not movies.  

easily remedied, buy another ps3 mainly for movie viewing.
especially if you planned to buy a standalone blu-ray player.

this way you preserve your console lasers for games.
the otherone preserves its lasers for movies.
remember the ps3 is one of the cheapest and best blu-ray players out there
plus its always gonna be up-to-date which is your major gripe.
plus your blu-ray player can play games!

hahah no thanks I don't want two oversized grills in my room. I want a small compact blu-ray player

Smidlee said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

There is a difference between what Warner's move will mean to HD-DVD and what it will mean to mainstream consumers. Since NPD has shown just 11% of HDTV owners care about HD films, regardless of format, anoyone who says this will push blu-ray to sell much better is kidding themselves.

I want HD to go mainstream, even if it doesn't overtake DVD. I would like to see some films in HD, but so far blu-ray and HD-DVD are just DVD with a few gimmicks.

You can say Nintendo controller is nothing but a gimmick yet it sells. If you ask me 6 month ago if I was planning to buy a HDTV or even a PS3 I would clearly have said no, SD TV and PC was good enough for me at that time. Yet in 6 months I now owned 2 HDTV and PS3.

The difference is that the Wiimote is a gimmick with mass appeal. Neither HD format has something like that yet. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Around the Network

"The difference is that the Wiimote is a gimmick with mass appeal. Neither HD format has something like that yet. "

Wii appeals to many because of all the Wii ads I see on TV also it's a lot more simple. HD format is a little more confusing.
For me I first decide to get a HDTV then because of the HD war between Cable vs DirectTV TWC gave me local HD free. When I started watching Chuck & Heroes in HD ( SD shows still look better on a SD TV than a LCD) and then a few HD Football game ( also noticed that some stations HD looks better than others) sold me get PS3 with both a Blu-Ray plus HD gaming (yet that nothing new with PC games) with DD5.1 sound. The free Spider man 3 movie I learn that Blu-ray looks even better than "aired" HD. Then I was so impressed I got an second HDTV.

Unfortunately, bitter tears and wishful thinking are no incentive for the HD-DVD group to do something so stupid that it goes against any business common sense.
Just accept your DRM, region-locked Blu-Ray overlord already.

Smidlee said:

"The difference is that the Wiimote is a gimmick with mass appeal. Neither HD format has something like that yet. "

Wii appeals to many because of all the Wii ads I see on TV also it's a lot more simple. HD format is a little more confusing.
For me I first decide to get a HDTV then because of the HD war between Cable vs DirectTV TWC gave me local HD free. When I started watching Chuck & Heroes in HD ( SD shows still look better on a SD TV than a LCD) and then a few HD Football game ( also noticed that some stations HD looks better than others) sold me get PS3 with both a Blu-Ray plus HD gaming (yet that nothing new with PC games) with DD5.1 sound. The free Spider man 3 movie I learn that Blu-ray looks even better than "aired" HD. Then I was so impressed I got an second HDTV.

What does the last paragraph have to do with features specific to HD films? That was what that sentence you quoted in the OP meant. And if an upcoming feature was simple and appealing as the Wiimote, it would be a gimmick that worked.

ookaze said:
Unfortunately, bitter tears and wishful thinking are no incentive for the HD-DVD group to do something so stupid that it goes against any business common sense.
Just accept your DRM, region-locked Blu-Ray overlord already.

Another troll. 

Screw this format war, it's meaningless for everybody exept technology fanatics.
I'm amazed at how this can make fanboys out of people.