By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Top five films among pirates!

Joelcool7 said:
zarx said:
Joelcool7 said:
pezus said:
Joelcool7 said:

Well TorrentFreak.com a website dedicated to tracking pirates and illegal activity on the internet has released its annual findings. Which movies are the most pirated films in the world. The list includes five huge hits and very successful titles but which movies do pirates just not care to pay for?

What are the top five stolen films on the internet? The top five listed from most downloaded to least by millions of downloads!

1 'Avatar' (2009) - 21 million

2 'The Dark Knight' (2008) - 19 million

3 'Transformers' (2007) - 19 million

4 'Inception' (2010) - 18 million

5 'The Hangover' (2009) - 17 million

Are you surprised? I sort of am I mean these movies were all some of the best films released in the last few years. Why would people not actually pay good money for them? I understand why they would be popular downloads but I'd expect people to download films which they were unsure of rather then downloading the ones they actually want to buy.

These disturbing figures show that pirates actually download big budget successful films rather then buying them.

What are your thought's any surprises on that list? Did you expect these kinds of numbers and just how big of a loss do you think the creators of these movies took?

No, they don't...

What do you honestly believe all these people purchased their copies after downloading? I don't know a single person who downloads movies with the intent of purchasing them. Well I actually do but they are anime fans who download the English subbed Japanese movies day one and then purchase them once released in NA. However all these films were released on a global scale so that's not likely to be the case.

I don't know why people still defend piracy as if it doesn't take away sales. That belief is really full of shit if it were true then there wouldn't be as many downloads in the first place.

So yah these figures do show that pirates are choosing to pirate big budget films rather then buy them. That claim is not really questionable even if some of those who downloaded did purchase legit copies the rest did not and those that did are for sure a minority.

As for Galaki's question. Of course they can't tell if the people who downloaded viewed the movie in theaters. But even if the person did that doesn't mean they have the right to download the film. Its still theft no matter how you look at it, sometimes I go to a theater several times to see a movie. Fact is the movie isn't available for retail yet and you have no right to own it without consent from the creators.

If downloading took away significant sales wouldn't we expect to see the most pirated films lacking in sales? The fact that the most pirated movies are also the most successful films in sales some far exeding expectations. I mean from that data it would be easy to assume that piracy actually contributed to the comercial success of the movies not the other way round. 

No not at all because almost every movie on the market suffers from piracy. It just so happens that these are the most popular but they are also some of the highest selling movies of recent times as well. Fact is pirates who pirate these movies also pirate other movies they aren't going to drop sales of DVD's/BluRay's because those who actually buy movies buy them. However if those pirates didn't get the movies for free the sales of these movies would be even higher.

Piracy didn't contribute to the success it prevented the films from being even more successful then they were. The fact that the movies were some of the best movies to have come out in the past few years. That and that alone is why they were so successful.

That's not really true at all ...

Being surrounded by geeky-guys in my job every day at work, and knowing several people who pirate everything they can, I would say there is little/no evidence to suggest that people who download movies would buy an additional copy if they couldn’t download them for free.

I know a few people who I would call "data hoarders" who download everything that is available (because it is free) and only use a small fraction of the content. I know other people who download movies today and (if they liked them) buy the movies in 12 or 18 months when they’re $5 to $10; and downloading has (more or less) taken the place of renting movies for these people. And I know people who download movies they have already bought because they want a media server that can stream these movies to any TV in their house and oppressive DRM means that the $20+ you pay for a movie still doesn’t give you the rights to use it in reasonable ways. 

If you really want to eliminate piracy convince the movie/music industry to change their business model to reflect the modern world ... With digital distribution the cost of "manufacturing" an additional copy of a song or movie is almost nothing and therefore it makes sense to price this content so inexpensively that people don't see the value in pirating it. At $0.10 to $0.25 per song and $1.00 to $2.50 for a movie the industry would make up all "losses" from reduced sales price through high volume ...

Around the Network
Joelcool7 said:
zarx said:
Joelcool7 said:
pezus said:
Joelcool7 said:

Well TorrentFreak.com a website dedicated to tracking pirates and illegal activity on the internet has released its annual findings. Which movies are the most pirated films in the world. The list includes five huge hits and very successful titles but which movies do pirates just not care to pay for?

What are the top five stolen films on the internet? The top five listed from most downloaded to least by millions of downloads!

Are you surprised? I sort of am I mean these movies were all some of the best films released in the last few years. Why would people not actually pay good money for them? I understand why they would be popular downloads but I'd expect people to download films which they were unsure of rather then downloading the ones they actually want to buy.

These disturbing figures show that pirates actually download big budget successful films rather then buying them.

What are your thought's any surprises on that list? Did you expect these kinds of numbers and just how big of a loss do you think the creators of these movies took?

No, they don't...

What do you honestly believe all these people purchased their copies after downloading? I don't know a single person who downloads movies with the intent of purchasing them. Well I actually do but they are anime fans who download the English subbed Japanese movies day one and then purchase them once released in NA. However all these films were released on a global scale so that's not likely to be the case.

I don't know why people still defend piracy as if it doesn't take away sales. That belief is really full of shit if it were true then there wouldn't be as many downloads in the first place.

So yah these figures do show that pirates are choosing to pirate big budget films rather then buy them. That claim is not really questionable even if some of those who downloaded did purchase legit copies the rest did not and those that did are for sure a minority.

As for Galaki's question. Of course they can't tell if the people who downloaded viewed the movie in theaters. But even if the person did that doesn't mean they have the right to download the film. Its still theft no matter how you look at it, sometimes I go to a theater several times to see a movie. Fact is the movie isn't available for retail yet and you have no right to own it without consent from the creators.

If downloading took away significant sales wouldn't we expect to see the most pirated films lacking in sales? The fact that the most pirated movies are also the most successful films in sales some far exeding expectations. I mean from that data it would be easy to assume that piracy actually contributed to the comercial success of the movies not the other way round. 

No not at all because almost every movie on the market suffers from piracy. It just so happens that these are the most popular but they are also some of the highest selling movies of recent times as well. Fact is pirates who pirate these movies also pirate other movies they aren't going to drop sales of DVD's/BluRay's because those who actually buy movies buy them. However if those pirates didn't get the movies for free the sales of these movies would be even higher.

Piracy didn't contribute to the success it prevented the films from being even more successful then they were. The fact that the movies were some of the best movies to have come out in the past few years. That and that alone is why they were so successful.

prove it, all you got is idle speculation with no evidence to back it up

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

zarx said:
Joelcool7 said:
zarx said:
Joelcool7 said:
pezus said:
Joelcool7 said:

No, they don't...

Its impossible to disprove. Even if the majority of pirates wouldn't pick up the movie at retail. There is still some that would, the removal of piracy would raise sales even if not by a massive margin. Proof, I am sure you know a pirate who doesn't buy that many films they aren't very uncommon. If that pirate could no longer acquire these films for free, yes he'd likely see fewer movies since he wouldn't be able to access them for free. But he would be forced to actually pay for the films he sees.

A pirate who suddenly couldn't download films for free wouldn't just stop watching films. Want proof (Here) fact is people will continue to watch movies even if they can't get them free. That means if you removed the free downloads it would raise sales. Its ludicrous to suggest that these movies wouldn't benefit from piracy disappearing.

The idea that piracy has driven sales is also possible but not driven them enough to make it worth loosing millions in sales. In Australia and Canada the industry claims to have lost around a billion dollars each. If you go global you see billions upon billions.

Fact is people will still watch movies without piracy. In fact it could be argued the other way too. While someone may watch a pirated film and go "Hey I wanna see this in theaters for the better quality" what about the films where the consumer says "Man am I glad I didn't see this film in theaters". Fact is it works both ways.

In the end there are always trailers and reviews that do just as good of a job in convincing consumers to see a movie. Piracy doesn't bring in any more consumers then they would (Logical based accusation).

Try to argue how less profit is possibly a good thing?

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Joelcool7 said:
zarx said:
Joelcool7 said:
zarx said:
Joelcool7 said:
pezus said:
Joelcool7 said:

No, they don't...

Its impossible to disprove. Even if the majority of pirates wouldn't pick up the movie at retail. There is still some that would, the removal of piracy would raise sales even if not by a massive margin. Proof, I am sure you know a pirate who doesn't buy that many films they aren't very uncommon. If that pirate could no longer acquire these films for free, yes he'd likely see fewer movies since he wouldn't be able to access them for free. But he would be forced to actually pay for the films he sees.

A pirate who suddenly couldn't download films for free wouldn't just stop watching films. Want proof (Here) fact is people will continue to watch movies even if they can't get them free. That means if you removed the free downloads it would raise sales. Its ludicrous to suggest that these movies wouldn't benefit from piracy disappearing.

The idea that piracy has driven sales is also possible but not driven them enough to make it worth loosing millions in sales. In Australia and Canada the industry claims to have lost around a billion dollars each. If you go global you see billions upon billions.

Fact is people will still watch movies without piracy. In fact it could be argued the other way too. While someone may watch a pirated film and go "Hey I wanna see this in theaters for the better quality" what about the films where the consumer says "Man am I glad I didn't see this film in theaters". Fact is it works both ways.

In the end there are always trailers and reviews that do just as good of a job in convincing consumers to see a movie. Piracy doesn't bring in any more consumers then they would (Logical based accusation).

Try to argue how less profit is possibly a good thing?

That link proves nothing, and the people I know who pirate films ether pay to see movies just as much as they did before they started pirating or see more as they have grown up and got jobs so can afford to see more not that personal experiance is very useful for these things.

Plenty of studies (at least the independent ones not funded by the inustries) have  shown that pirats are just as likely to pay for content as non pirats or even pay more.

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/media/news/2000/04/35848

http://arstechnica.com/media/news/2009/04/study-pirates-buy-tons-more-music-than-average-folks.ars

http://www.pcworld.com/article/236214/study_casts_pirate_site_users_in_good_light.html

http://caseyhendrickson.wordpress.com/2011/02/07/movie-piracy-streaming-may-actually-increase-sales/

http://torrentfreak.com/internet-piracy-boosts-anime-sales-study-concludes-110203/

Sure the industry would like to tell you that every act of piracy is a lost sale but that just isn't true which is why those industy numbers are pure bull

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network

The list just shows the most downloaded movies, but unfortunetly you can't make any conclusion with it; "surprisingly" some of the most popular movies are also the most downloaded ones. It would be more intersting to see a boxoffice/downloads ratio or a homevideo sales/downloads ratio.

I thought that this thread was going to feature movies with Eroll Flynn. Boy, am I disappointed.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Inception and Dark Knight are worth buying, if nothing else, just to see in glorious HD on Blu ray.