By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Next-Generation graphics engine announced!

Its a good sign that dev costs will be lower.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Around the Network
Solid-Stark said:
darkknightkryta said:
Didn't a press release with Final Fantasy VS state they were going to use the new luminous engine?

I believe they said they were using a specific engine more suitable for Action RPG for Versus that will utilize the lighting tools that will be available in the Luminous Engine.

that is correct

http://andriasang.com/comy9x/

rutea7 said:
Solid-Stark said:
darkknightkryta said:
Didn't a press release with Final Fantasy VS state they were going to use the new luminous engine?

I believe they said they were using a specific engine more suitable for Action RPG for Versus that will utilize the lighting tools that will be available in the Luminous Engine.

that is correct

http://andriasang.com/comy9x/

Thanks for checking, i was lazy to google it

e=mc^2

lol love the triple post Solid Stark. I was going to comment something related to the thread but I believe you covered it.

Solid-Stark said:
Its a good sign that dev costs will be lower.

always a good sign, especially for japanese companies

Around the Network

I saw this months ago.

Whenever I read about "the next generation console graphics" and see pretty images indicating what these said graphics are suppose to look like the reality also turns out to be disappointing.

From N64 to PS2 and xbox to the current gen, developers all showed clips and and images well ahead of launch of graphical capabilities these consoles were suppose to be capable of.

I can even remember developers showing off some awesome "would be" graphic images for the N64 before it was launched and us kids all getting excited at school. Even the xbox couldn't match those supposed N64 graphics.

Not saying that this would be the case here but ...

sethnintendo said:
lol love the triple post Solid Stark. I was going to comment something related to the thread but I believe you covered it.

Haha

e=mc^2

HappySqurriel said:
I'm both impressed and not ... I saw papers a few years ago with similar results performing real-time rendering.

What I wonder is what kind of hardware this requires to run, at what kind of performance you get from that hardware. If fairly modest hardware can achieve similar results (possibly at a moderately low resolution/frame-rate) I would be very interested; but if they require cutting edge hardware I'm not interested.

Considering the DX11/PC support listed for the engine and the fact that it is targeting next gen (with current gen hardware support) I am going to assume a high end PC is running this "demo"

OT while the lighting looks accurate, this demo is static so it could well be some form of precomputed lighting in which case showing stark areas full off flat walls is not thayt impressive. I would need to see a realistic character model and dynamic lights to be impressed.

The samaritan demo has better looking dynamic lighting TBH, may not be quite as accurate in the demos that have been shown (none have actually tried to model a real world location to my knowlage) but at least we know it's dynamic

so does cryengine 3

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

There's a difference between showing a plain, white room like above and showing an area filled with monsters, vegetation and other things.