By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - September NPD: X360 #1 438k, PS3 374k, Wii 240k, 3DS 260k, DS 145k

Will the NDS pass 50 million?

Yes! 65 61.32%

No 10 9.43%

I'm on the fence 12 11.32%

See Results 18 16.98%

Total:105
D-Joe said:
jugon21 said:
D-Joe said:
pezus said:
D-Joe said:
pezus said:
enrageorange said:
I really wonder how vcg reacts to these numbers. I mean they basically ignored the 360 npd numbers these past few months so I assume they think their tracking is more accurate(maybe it is who knows), so does that mean the ps3 and 3ds won't get adjusted? or meet the npd halfway? or they only ignore xbox 360 npd numbers?

I think VGC have stealth adjusted 360 a bit, long after the reports. Could be wrong though.

oh i remember,June's VGC 360 numbers is about 300k and NPD is 500k,did they adjusted?

I'll check the sales right now

Edit: June sales almost exactly 400k in Americas for June, so about 350k in USA. While NPD had it at 507k o.O

But to be fair, NPD YTD 360 sales are about 3.45m while VGC has it at 3.3m approximately. That's still within 10%

so VGC don't need to adjust anymore,just need to put more undertracked hardware numbers in next few weeks to make it within 10% YTD

Console

3DS Wii PS3 X360 PSP DS
VGC-America for the period 02nd Jan 2011 to 01st Oct 2011
VGC-US(87.5%) 1,673,474
NPD-US
1,417,000 2,364,870 2,434,948 3,446,214   2,663,732
+OVERTRACKED      -UNDERTRACKED
+256,474 +117,501 -138,613 -227,200   -128,041

*NPD June

Jacob Mazel: "Michael Pachter did tell me in email however that much of the X360 year over year rise came from a) free X360s given away with Windows 7, and b) X360s sold directly to distributors (some of these units apparently ended up in Brazil) - and Microsoft convinced NPD to count both. Pachter didn't have figures on how many units those promotions added, but estimates that X360 would have dropped slightly year over year (-5% to -10%) without those inclusions."

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/87197/npd-tallies-us-video-game-revenue-for-june-2011/

why put this joke email/article again?

Seems to me that being within 10% of other sales estimates is doing fine. The only absolute number anyone really knows is shipment reports. And as long as VGC isn't above shipments or constantly vastly below (taking account of periodic channel stuffing) then VGC numbers are good enough for our purposes. In that table the only console that's really out of whack is 3DS being about 12% different between NPD and VGC . With Wii NPD and VGC are within 5%, PS3 they are within about 6%, 360 they are within about 8%, DS they are within about 5%. There doesn't seem to be much point in VGC responding too much to NPD, as long as VGC is within a reasonable range of shipment numers for each console.

For this month, it's a relief that NPD have PS3 25K/week higher than VGC. That's more like the price cut effect I was expecting. Quarterly shipments will be interesting, though I wouldn't be surprised if Sony shipped a butt load this quarter so there could be a big gap between shipment and sold through for PS3 in Q3. Get lots of PS3s into the distribution channel for the end of the year. I do hope that means R3 is a tad undertracked too. I'd like to see it bumped up 150-200K in the Americas.

3DS is and isn't surprising. It's surprising that a huge price cut hasn't raised sales a lot more. But it's not surprising given the lack of 3DS titles, according to a lot of people (personally I don't really keep close watch in game releases for 3DS, so I'm taking others' words for the "3DS has no phreakin' games" thing.)

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

It is good to see that the pricecut pushed the PS3.
If Microsoft still wants to win the holidays (or the whole year), they have to change their strategy.
They have to cut prices, too, But more than 50$.

So then the PS3 and Xbox 360 gap must be under 3 million by now right?

Man, those PS3 numbers are a relief. But at the same time, what about October numbers, VGC is tracking the PS3 at 55k to 60k in Americas, so are we still undertracking PS3??? and on EEMA??? You see, when you are this off, it makes you question all the numbers, because it is easy to to misscalculate the effect of a price drop.

But overrall I am just happy to know that the 3 home consoles were up considering VGC tracking, that means current hardware is not a doomed as it seemed.

3ds was doomed before those NPD numbers and....... it still is /sarcasm
PSP = dead (good sign for the VITA)

kowenicki said:
Hopefully this is the nudge ms needs to cut prices.

I don't think they will. 360 is still beating PS3 and Wii in the US, and that's the market MS mostly (not only) cares about. I guess it wouldn't even be bad not to cut this year, cutting next year before Wii U launches would make more sense IMO.

However, great numbers for the 360 and surprisingly good numbers for the PS3 as well. I'm really glad that the price cut had an effect. 3DS numbers are... just horrible considering it had a huge price cut...

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

Around the Network

PS3 undertracked again here, by more then 100k, why doesn't this surprise me? Just look at the pathetic numbers VGChartz put for PS3 the past few weeks, no way the PS3 would sell only 1/2 of what 360 was selling.

When does the quarterly results come from the Big 3?

amaral_slb said:
Man, those PS3 numbers are a relief. But at the same time, what about October numbers, VGC is tracking the PS3 at 55k to 60k in Americas, so are we still undertracking PS3??? and on EEMA??? You see, when you are this off, it makes you question all the numbers, because it is easy to to misscalculate the effect of a price drop.

But overrall I am just happy to know that the 3 home consoles were up considering VGC tracking, that means current hardware is not a doomed as it seemed.

3ds was doomed before those NPD numbers and....... it still is /sarcasm
PSP = dead (good sign for the VITA)

remember last year when PS3 got adjusted showing that it had been selling over 200K weekly from the time Move launched? We may see something similar here. Potentially an adjustment of 40-50K per week since September. Though I suspect fairly accurate numbers in Japan (always within 1 or 2K of Media Create), and I think PS3 numbers across EMEAA have beeen pretty great. So I think perhaps the main undertracking has been USA.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

There's either a cut planned on the 360 during November, or all the talk about being #1 was really bullshit.

Pricecut is either next Month or next Year around WiiU.

pezus said:
thismeintiel said:
pezus said:
D-Joe said:
pezus said:
D-Joe said:
pezus said:
enrageorange said:
I really wonder how vcg reacts to these numbers. I mean they basically ignored the 360 npd numbers these past few months so I assume they think their tracking is more accurate(maybe it is who knows), so does that mean the ps3 and 3ds won't get adjusted? or meet the npd halfway? or they only ignore xbox 360 npd numbers?

I think VGC have stealth adjusted 360 a bit, long after the reports. Could be wrong though.

oh i remember,June's VGC 360 numbers is about 300k and NPD is 500k,did they adjusted?

I'll check the sales right now

Edit: June sales almost exactly 400k in Americas for June, so about 350k in USA. While NPD had it at 507k o.O

But to be fair, NPD YTD 360 sales are about 3.45m while VGC has it at 3.3m approximately. That's still within 10%

so VGC don't need to adjust anymore,just need to put more undertracked hardware numbers in next few weeks to make it within 10% YTD

Well, this month was not within 10%. So I guess that's theirs to decide

Actually, VGC is within 10% for the 360.  10% of 438K is 43.8K.  So as long as VGC has it 395K-481K (they had 411K), that would be within tolerence.  The PS3 on the other hand, would need to be 337K-411K.  VGC has it at 268K.

Yeah, I meant only the PS3 ;)

ah,so you use PS3 in one month and 360 in YTD

another VGC's normal day

3DS doomed thing is way outa hand :P MK and Super Mario Land are the first of the big 2 games, so i wouldn't judge before november