By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can anyone tell me whats so great about the Wii?

BenKenobi88 said:
There's not enough games for it though

/agree wholeheartedly (However) I don't want to be forced into using it for every game.  Some games I love the standard Playstation controller better.

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

Around the Network

Well yah, but again, that's not really a negative of the Eyetoy, it has its uses...but just a positive of the Wiimote, since it has that element of fun and motion, but it's also good for a standard controller.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Well since you continue with the discussion, eye toy is dead... yea it amangaed to sell maybe 5M, but it didnt really attract much of an audience.

The playstation eye on the other hand is amazing, and sony is really releasing some stellar games for it.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

I look forward to the playstation eye's games. If it could make some truly fun games, it could convince some to buy PS3s...problem is the whole package is a bit expensive, so it doesn't quite appeal to the same casual audience.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

The Wii is the only console currently to offer anything really "new".. the IR/Motion controls and generally-simple pick up and play concept of the system works well. The other consoles did the "groundbreaking" thing of using HD resolutions.. which is something that people all over the world have been enjoying for years already on their PC's with their nice graphics cards. So, the "HD" thing really isn't innovating anything at all. Plus you have the idea that the 360 and the PS3 are "port-able" machines between eachother, which makes neither one "unique" or important. Sorta like how the last generation the Gamecube, PS2 and XBox were all basically on-par with eachother in most every-way, therefore nothing great or unique came about with the gamecube and lost attention. This time around the big-N figured out that they needed to break-away from the pack and draw attention back. Well played, Nintendo.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
It's a combination of the controller and the games.

For a whole decade we basically had the same gameplay that was only refined. The Wiimote/Nunchuk allows established genres to be experienced in a new way and new genres to emerge.

This gets the majority of gamers more excited for the Wii than for the HD consoles which continue the path of refinement of what has already been seen dozens or hundreds of times before.

Yet Super Mario Galaxy, arguably the best game on the Wii, controls and plays almost identically to Super Mario Sunshine!

Analogue stick to move, push a button to jump, etc.  Same old gameplay too. 

In fact, the game would play better if the controls were mapped to a Gamecube pad and you could just push a button to punch instead of that swipe motion necessary for Galaxy. 

PSN - hanafuda

Man ps3 fanboys have been really active havent they. Man the wii bashing continues.

w/e I have a 360 but i appreciatate all consoles.

hanafuda said:
RolStoppable said:
It's a combination of the controller and the games.

For a whole decade we basically had the same gameplay that was only refined. The Wiimote/Nunchuk allows established genres to be experienced in a new way and new genres to emerge.

This gets the majority of gamers more excited for the Wii than for the HD consoles which continue the path of refinement of what has already been seen dozens or hundreds of times before.

Yet Super Mario Galaxy, arguably the best game on the Wii, controls and plays almost identically to Super Mario Sunshine!

Analogue stick to move, push a button to jump, etc. Same old gameplay too.

In fact, the game would play better if the controls were mapped to a Gamecube pad and you could just push a button to punch instead of that swipe motion necessary for Galaxy.

Except for the pointer that picks up star bits and shoots enemies, pauses enemies, and makes Mario jump. Also there's levels using motion controls to balance on a ball or steer a manta ray...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM

Hmmmm.... even though the wii isn't my cup of tea, I won't bad mouth it like this.

In fact, i'm not going to touch this thread with a 10 foot pole. :)

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

tk1797 said:
Man ps3 fanboys have been really active havent they. Man the wii bashing continues.

w/e I have a 360 but i appreciatate all consoles.

You got it all wrong. It's the Wii-boys who are bashing us PS3 fans. When we bash the Wii, we get banned. It's that simple.