By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What can Microsoft do to win next gen on consoles?

Offer some opinions on what you think Microsoft can do to win next gen with their next console.

Out of the three consoles this gen, Microsoft definitely has the best online system, so they should be keeping that for their next console. Their first party games sell well, but I think they need a little more variety to them. I mean, one would think you can only go so far with Halo, Gears of War and Forza! They definitely advertise their first party titles well; I saw plenty of GoW3 commercials before/after its release. I think their third party relationships are pretty good for the most part, especially with them obtaining "exclusivity" on content and some games, although they only last so long.

Around the Network

Stay the course and beef up third party support and exclusives. Maybe make Kinect even more casual friendly next gen?

They are doing just fine in America and EMEAA, they misewell forget Japan exists and try to win those two territories.

It's just that simple.

Like I said in the Ninty article, I think MS is in the right way already. They'll probably win next-gen I'd say.

They had alot of advantages this gen that they won't have next gen so I think it will be very hard for them to win next gen (they are barely in 2ed place this gen with all of those advantages).

1. First and foremost they need to get more 1st parties and make more games, timed exclusives won't be an option if ps4 or wiiU have a significantly larger userbase early on and I think people are wise to it now.

2. They need to have their console reliable from the start, if there are any reports of failures early in the gen MS will lose millions of sales.

3. Free online. Sony has closed in on the level of service MS provides with their online, and with them getting cross game chat next gen (they are doing it for psv they will do it for ps4) and likely improving the service further there won't much to distinguish the services other then one costs and the other one doesn't.

4. Blu ray player. Blu ray is growing as a movie medium and dvd is outdated this gen next gen it will be ancient.

5. Undercut the ps4 price by 100 at launch.

6. Include wifi and have internal battery in their controllers from the start.

rottingcorpse1 said:
They had alot of advantages this gen that they won't have next gen so I think it will be very hard for them to win next gen (they are barely in 2ed place this gen with all of those advantages).

1. First and foremost they need to get more 1st parties and make more games, timed exclusives won't be an option if ps4 or wiiU have a significantly larger userbase early on and I think people are wise to it now.

2. They need to have their console reliable from the start, if there are any reports of failures early in the gen MS will lose millions of sales.

3. Free online. Sony has closed in on the level of service MS provides with their online, and with them getting cross game chat next gen (they are doing it for psv they will do it for ps4) and likely improving the service further there won't much to distinguish the services other then one costs and the other one doesn't.

4. Blu ray player. Blu ray is growing as a movie medium and dvd is outdated this gen next gen it will be ancient.

2) Yeah, they can't cheap out and cut back on the hardware, since I don't think they would want another RROD on their hands next gen.

3) I don't know about that. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who would gladly pay for online for the next XBOX, if they keep up the support for it like they did this gen.

4) DVD is too outdated now and they do need to upgrade to Bluray.

Around the Network

Microsoft will have to overcome the 3rd chance curse

Nintendo's 3rd console was a disaster
Sega's 3rd home console was a disaster
Sony's 3rd home console was a disaster
Atari's 3rd home console was a disaster

The 4th console gives the impression they ain't getting that success back
Nintendo,Sega,Atari and unknown so far for Sony
5th is a blessing
Nintendo and no one else lol

Let's see if Microsoft bucks the trend

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

MasterVG71782 said:
rottingcorpse1 said:

2) Yeah, they can't cheap out and cut back on the hardware, since I don't think they would want another RROD on their hands next gen.

3) I don't know about that. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who would gladly pay for online for the next XBOX, if they keep up the support for it like they did this gen.

4) DVD is too outdated now and they do need to upgrade to Bluray.

Right now I don't see the difference between what you actually pay for with xbl and what psn offers other then cross game chat, that gap is going to go even less, I'm sure some people will be stuck in the past and just do it because they always did it but it will deter people who never bought an xbox before and without alot of people who never bought an xbox before MS can't win next gen.

maintain the exclusive releases of mature rated games with unmatched features like they did this gen and come out with i few other genres its lacking like action/adventure, platformer

keep up with the exclusive deals timed DLC and even games

a free online services even if it has to be stripped down

better reliable HW cant have what we had with the rrod

Play Me

- Uncompressed surround sound
- Wifi
- HDD in every model
- Bigger storage medium, preferably blu-ray
- Get some franchises like ratchet and clank and team ico.
- Free online would be a bonus. Or at least a free period to play new games online without needing gold, included with online pass with new games. It's a win win for MS, either you buy a new game every month with another month free gold, or you play cod online all year with a gold subscription.
- Let me buy movies and xbla games with real money.

Anyway that's all they need to make it my preferred console, but to win next gen they just need to be cheapest on the market. I'll buy all 3 again anyway.

BHR-3 said:
maintain the exclusive releases of mature rated games with unmatched features like they did this gen and come out with i few other genres its lacking like action/adventure, platformer

keep up with the exclusive deals timed DLC and even games

a free online services even if it has to be stripped down

better reliable HW cant have what we had with the rrod

What are you talking about I can't think of a single mature rated 360 exclusive that has unmatched features, can you name a few specific features that you are talking about? I don't think timed exclusive deals are going to be enough next time they need to make more games.