By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The worst Nintendo is doomed article

Seece said:
S____M____C____C said:
Horrible article, but the point still remains....

Nintendo's customers are the ones who are most likely to flock towards phone/tablet games, and Nintendo will struggle to attract your typical Xbox/PlayStation buyer.

They have a lot of work to do.

Yup, this, Nintendo have a small dedicated userbase of probably under 20 million (at least for consoles) unless Nintendo came up with a console that hit it off like Wii again could they sustain generation after generation with a 20 mill userbase?

WiiU will do more than 20 mill for usre, it still has remenents of the wii, but they can't live off of that forever. Sony have a loyal market in EMEAA and Microsoft have Xbox Live in America, BOTH are stable and I don't care what anyone says it isn't 'all to play for' concerning those two in those regions.

Are you comparing GBA to the Wii or saying the GBA only sold 20 million? Either way I'm confused

Around the Network
Seece said:
RolStoppable said:
Seece said:
S____M____C____C said:

Nintendo's customers are the ones who are most likely to flock towards phone/tablet games, and Nintendo will struggle to attract your typical Xbox/PlayStation buyer.

Yup, this, Nintendo have a small dedicated userbase of probably under 20 million (at least for consoles) unless Nintendo came up with a console that hit it off like Wii again could they sustain generation after generation with a 20 mill userbase?

WiiU will do more than 20 mill for usre, it still has remenents of the wii, but they can't live off of that forever. Sony have a loyal market in EMEAA and Microsoft have Xbox Live in America, BOTH are stable and I don't care what anyone says it isn't 'all to play for' concerning those two in those regions.

Nintendo's customers are the least likely to go to another platform due to Nintendo's unique position in the market. This is a question of video games vs. computer games. Nintendo is the only company left that can really put out a video game system, every other gaming platform is dominated by computer games these days.

Video games originated in the arcades and are based on reflex based gameplay and local multiplayer. Computer games obviously originated on personal computers and are more focused on sophiscated single player experiences; local multiplayer barely exists or is impractical; it's usually just one player per machine. Now think about all current gaming platforms and which one of these two extremes they are closer to.

Nintendo basically has a monopoly on the former category (since Sega is gone), the only question is if they intend to make use of it or choose the path of selfdestruction by trying to make their console a home for computer games. Nintendo's small dedicated userbase you speak of are the people who buy Nintendo no matter what, but if you look at the pace at which NSMB Wii sold, it's obvious that this dedicated userbase wasn't solely responsible for it. Far from it. There is a large pool of people out there who is willing to spend money on games only Nintendo can make. Nintendo just has to make these games and they will be fine.

Er, that's a rather arrogant and factually wrong point you have, Xbox 360 and PS3 are video games just as much as Wii games are, nothing Nintendo do is more special, they just chose platformers over FPS, they're still video games.

Nintendo's customers are most likely to abandon them, apart from the fanbase (which is small, wii didn't create a fanbase it created a buzz)

I don't remotely buy the NSMB Wii argument, put that on a Nintendo Gamecube esq title and see how it sells.

What is a fanbase if not people who respond to the buzz around games. Can we filter out the people who flutter around the "buzz" of Xbox LIVE, or the buzz of Call of Duty?

buzz is itself a buzzword, and does little to formulate an actual argument.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

JGarret said:
Nintendo can prosper as long as they keep making games the mass market wants...a good start would be not waiting over 15 years to release a new 2D Mario game.

One would wonder why  Nintendo would want to abandon this strategy.

Mr Khan said:
Seece said:
RolStoppable said:
Seece said:
S____M____C____C said:

Nintendo's customers are the least likely to go to another platform due to Nintendo's unique position in the market. This is a question of video games vs. computer games. Nintendo is the only company left that can really put out a video game system, every other gaming platform is dominated by computer games these days.

Video games originated in the arcades and are based on reflex based gameplay and local multiplayer. Computer games obviously originated on personal computers and are more focused on sophiscated single player experiences; local multiplayer barely exists or is impractical; it's usually just one player per machine. Now think about all current gaming platforms and which one of these two extremes they are closer to.

Nintendo basically has a monopoly on the former category (since Sega is gone), the only question is if they intend to make use of it or choose the path of selfdestruction by trying to make their console a home for computer games. Nintendo's small dedicated userbase you speak of are the people who buy Nintendo no matter what, but if you look at the pace at which NSMB Wii sold, it's obvious that this dedicated userbase wasn't solely responsible for it. Far from it. There is a large pool of people out there who is willing to spend money on games only Nintendo can make. Nintendo just has to make these games and they will be fine.

Er, that's a rather arrogant and factually wrong point you have, Xbox 360 and PS3 are video games just as much as Wii games are, nothing Nintendo do is more special, they just chose platformers over FPS, they're still video games.

Nintendo's customers are most likely to abandon them, apart from the fanbase (which is small, wii didn't create a fanbase it created a buzz)

I don't remotely buy the NSMB Wii argument, put that on a Nintendo Gamecube esq title and see how it sells.

What is a fanbase if not people who respond to the buzz around games. Can we filter out the people who flutter around the "buzz" of Xbox LIVE, or the buzz of Call of Duty?

I think his main point stands. 

You can't use NSMB Wii to show how much demand there is for typical Nintendo titles, regardless of the context.

The Wii was a mainstream hit (due to motion controls/price/uniqueness/little direct competition), and so i'd say a lot of NSMB Wii sales were simply from Wii owners who heard that this was the next big Wii game.

In other words, you probably aren't going to get the vast majority of these buyers flocking over to the WiiU just because it offers Nintendo games.

S____M____C____C said:
Mr Khan said:

You can't use NSMB Wii to show how much demand there is for typical Nintendo titles, regardless of the context.

The Wii was a mainstream hit (due to motion controls/price/uniqueness/little direct competition), and so i'd say a lot of NSMB Wii sales were simply from Wii owners who heard that this was the next big Wii game.

In other words, you probably aren't going to get the vast majority of these buyers flocking over to the WiiU just because it offers Nintendo games.

Much like what Rol said in the reply above mine, you've listed every single reason the Wii sold except for the main reason. Games games games games games. The only reason any feature on a console has value is due to the utility it provides for games, and even then, compelling games can emerge that make no use of that utility (NSMBWii being a critical example here). The only reason anyone gives a damn about Xbox LIVE is its use for games, and similarly the only reason anyone should give a damn about how strong x or y console is is because of games. Wii's low price was irrelevant, indeed even detrimental, since Nitnendo left money on the table that they could have taken easily

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Seece said:

No, it isn't arrogant. It perfectly explains the massive discrepancy between online and local multiplayer on the home consoles of this generation as well as some other things. Besides, if Nintendo did nothing special, then they couldn't have made a comeback after every analyst had counted them out. Before you say motion controller, it really goes far beyond that, because several Wii blockbusters don't use or barely use motion controls. Just like many popular DS games didn't really use the touchscreen or needed the dualscreen format. There's something in the games themselves.

Yeah, motion controls. Without that or the wii userbase in the first place those games wouldn't have sold anywhere close to what they did.

Mr Khan said:
S____M____C____C said:
Mr Khan said:

Much like what Rol said in the reply above mine, you've listed every single reason the Wii sold except for the main reason. Games games games games games. The only reason any feature on a console has value is due to the utility it provides for games, and even then, compelling games can emerge that make no use of that utility (NSMBWii being a critical example here). The only reason anyone gives a damn about Xbox LIVE is its use for games, and similarly the only reason anyone should give a damn about how strong x or y console is is because of games. Wii's low price was irrelevant, indeed even detrimental, since Nitnendo left money on the table that they could have taken easily

Well, I will disagree. Only time can tell. 

I don't believe that games sold the Wii. In my eyes, consumers were attracted to the console and its potential uses, and then divulged into its games.

The WiiU will not have the uniqueness that the Wii did. Furthermore, it will have a lot more competition. So, my view is that even if Nintendo pumps out good Nintendo games on the WiiU, the system isn't going to sell as well as the Wii. 

Nintendogamer said:
Pavolink said:
Please don't tell me he gets paid to write...this.

;_;

He gets danger money, one day it will back fire and hurt his pricky face.

Doubt it.

As long as there are people who believes him, he will continue writting this kind of 'articles'.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

S____M____C____C said:
Mr Khan said:

Well, I will disagree. Only time can tell. 

I don't believe that games sold the Wii. In my eyes, consumers were attracted to the console and its potential uses, and then divulged into its games.

The WiiU will not have the uniqueness that the Wii did. Furthermore, it will have a lot more competition. So, my view is that even if Nintendo pumps out good Nintendo games on the WiiU, the system isn't going to sell as well as the Wii. 

The correlations between certain game releases and increases in sales should tell the tale neatly enough. It's not a matter of belief, unless you wish to venture past correlation and into causation

Unbelievable. These misinformed clowns never cease to amaze me. PS Vista? Take the Wii U controller screen with them? Does he even realize it's not a portable system? And "Almost dead before Wii" (again, obviously no clue that Nintendo was still profitable in the GC era).

Not to mention that such a poorly written and grammatically incorrect article is inexcusable from a "writer". Seriously, who learned this guy how to wrote?