By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - If your 360 doesn't fail your Wii will!

my wii is working fine. Maybe it's because I lack a 360?

Around the Network

I'd just like to point out I'd be happy if Microsoft never got over launching a console with a near 50% failure rate (From member posts here in a thread I created). That is not something remotely tolerable in my mind. And yet, people are happily defending that! No, it's pretty much pure, unbridled bullshit that we shouldn't have to put up with, let alone jolly retards proudly telling us that it's okay because it's their console of choice. This isn't inverted or non inverted, this isn't waggle or non waggle, this is work or not work. I'm pissed off enough that my Wii cannot play a game if I turn it off with a game in the system, I need to boot, eject, then reboot, then put in a new game if I don't want it to crash. That minor inconvenience of either a flaw with my system or a flaw with design (Not actually sure which it is) bothers me plenty enough.

Of course, the games on the 360 have been actually quite good. I just will tear into Microsoft until they have entirely fixed the problem, Then buy a 360. So, in 2 years or so I suppose. They'll be gone or I'll have been placated.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Ok, I like to make it clear that I am not defending the quality of first revisions of the 360 console.

Now, with that said. Fuzzmosis, I'm sorry but you can't determine failure rate from a forum survey.  I don't doubt that the 360 failure rate was high, but 50% is a rediculous number. 

All the early revisions of the 360 are gone.  I haven't seen any in the stores for several months now.  The failure rates seem to be in the normal range now for the new revisions.  If they weren't we would be hearing all over the place that the problem was still on going with the new revisions.  I perfectly understand people starting threads about how pissed off they are at Microsoft when their 360 dies.  I think that is very valid, but just restarting the conversation just for the point of bringing up the older console failure rates is stupid.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

Profcrab: Just going by my one survey of about 60 respondants by the end. If I had updated all the info, or included multiple failures by some people, which I hadn't to try and make it at least semi realistic, it would be over 60%. I went on the LOW end from that survey to make it more realistic. And it seems like people with a vendetta would come in and make it high, but there were plenty of people happily arguing that 360's are fine and just being mistreated that entire time, to do a nice balance.

And no, I can't generalize it as 60% worldwide for this survey, yet people seem pretty god damn content to say it's under 5% because, gee theirs hasn't broken! Jesus. At least I included multiple people, even if it wasn't trustworthy. No money, no reputation, and anonymous responses can kinda make things less valid in other people's eyes, for good reasons.

Profcrab, I assure you, I do believe failure rates have gone down, but I'm an intolerant sort. After a retarded, in my mind entirely indefensible and horrific, start, I want a 0% before I'd trust them and give them my money. At that point in my mind, it's forgivable. Nothing less. After the carefree "Things Break", why should I even try to give that large corporation a chance. You want my money, you meet my terms. You don't meet my terms, you don't get my money. I'll have a blast playing 360 at my friends houses (2 RROD), but won't pay till it's satisfactory.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Profcrab said:
Sqrl said:
It is worth mentioning that the newer models most certainly seemed to have improved the failure rate and significantly so, no doubt about that.

But I strongly disagree that this issue shouldn't be beaten into the heads of every potential consumer. MS made the choice to skimp on cooling and apparently to skimp on QA..so they should pay the price and yes that price includes more than the $1.1B they put up to fix all of these problems..it also includes a legend that simply will not die..and when failure rates are this high..they earned it.

Does it mean people shouldn't buy a 360? Of course not, thats just ignoring reality.

I am baffled by your logic. So, even if Microsoft fixes the problem and extended their warranty, then threads regarding the failure rates of the first revision of the 360 should be posted on a regular basis just to remind everyone that it happened. Microsoft had a design flaw that cost them alot of money and is/was a headache for alot of consumers. They took steps to correct it and try and repair their image. They didn't murder puppies and hurd people into gas chambers. Microsoft will get whatever reputation they earned, good or bad. These threads are just fanboy attacks on the 360 though. The internet doesn't need annual war memorial threads to remind people of broken 360s.

Unless people start threads with new information, then they are just beating a dead horse.

First I understand that you aren't defending their original product.

As for my logic: I am saying that it is fair game to mention that MS was behind what is quite possibly the least reliable piece of console hardware ...ever. And I am saying that any time someone has a RRoD I think it is totally legit for them to blow off a bit of steam on a forum. In this case the RRoD story came to us via an article...not much difference to me, these people are clearly pro-360 and letting off a bit of steam at their missfortune.

People will likely talk about the 360 failure rates and use it as a pop-culture reference for generations to come (console generations anyways) and they have earned that legend.

Those points are in no way contradicted or erased by the fact that they have fixed the issue. Fixing the issue means that people should be able to feel safe in a 360 purchase (provided its the new version).

The short version of what I am saying is this: MS deserves the ribs, the jests, and the jabs being shot their way by folks all over the internet. What they do not deserve is vicious troll hatred and acrimonious derision. The difference is usually a bit of foam at the corner of one's mouth.

And to be fair, I'm not saying that it should be bash MS hour all day every day, just that when the topic does come up it is fair game to give it a bit of ribbing provided its done in good fun. And I would expect folks to back off if people get touchy about it, the point is a jest not a fight.

edit: I wanted to add that maybe I'm not in the same mindset as 360 owners, but that if I had a product in a similar position I would probably be among the people ribbing the company even if I loved the product.  Company =/= product.  Product is fine now, company still deserves a stained record. 

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

Problems do exist with old and new SKUs and ignoring or downplaying them won't make them disappear :

http://forums.xbox.com/281/ShowForum.aspx

MS should have issued a recall.

Out of the 2 people I know who own a 360, both have RROD'ed at least once, and one of them suffered a barbequed harddrive as well. Sound machinery indeed. And the noise is quite frankly, unbearable.

- Fussmosis
While 0% is a unreasonable for any company, I know where you are coming from. The only data that I trusted regarding the 360 failures came from retailers claiming they were recieving high returns. Forum polls and surveys of any sort are too unreliable to give any percentage. The only thing you may be able to find out from a forum survey is that there might be a problem worth looking into.

- Sqrl
It is reasonable that Microsoft retains whatever image they earned. The reason I have problems with the random threads that are posted about this problem on most boards is because they are not started by anyone who has had a problem, but are brought up to rehash the original issue.

- Videogirl
Your link to the xbox forums is useless. If you want I can link the Nintendo forums to show that all Wiis have trouble reading discs (I'm not saying they do, I'm just saying it's useless to blindly link a company's tech support forum). We aren't going to know about the failure rates of the newer revisions until we hear about returns from retailers. With the original 360s, you couldn't escape the news about the large percentage of defective returns to stores. I haven't heard anything though regarding the new versions.

- Mummelman
I have 4 friends with early 360s and none of them have RRoD or any other problems. Neither my friends nor your friends are an accurate representation of the whole though.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.