By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Protest footage in NY, SHOCKING!

richardhutnik said:
HappySqurriel said:
mrstickball said:

I do have some sympathy for these individuals, and I can empathize with the position they have been put in; after all, they’re coming face to face with the reality that they have been lied to throughout their entire life and this has been primarily been done by the individuals they looked up to. Unfortunately, since understanding this would require significant changes to their entire value and belief system, these individuals are now looking for a villain who has stolen their fairy tale ending.

The real problem these individuals are facing is what I would call the parasite killing the host ...

Effectively, there is a portion of the economy that is driven by individuals making choices to buy goods and or services because they want them; not because they’re forced to have them or they’re afraid of the consequences of not having these goods and/or services. This is the portion of the economy I would call the host because it is the real living portion of the economy.

On top of that there is a portion of the economy that  provides goods and/or services which (in the long run) either improve the productivity of the host economy or minimize the damage of real world risks to individuals. Examples of this are companies like insurance companies, health-care, education, police/fire departments and so on. This is the portion of the economy I would call the symbiote because, while it lives off of the host economy, it provides value that is equal to or greater than its cost to the economy.

Many of these individuals who can't find jobs are in parasitic fields, and there are no jobs because there are no more spots available to suck the life-blood of the economy from.

I chopped a few paragraphs out to save space and focus on the parasite problem. I had read this yesterday, and was going to do a snap reply regarding, "What about people going into retirement?" and that issues faced.  But, then I have realized there is a BIG parasite problem.  A consumer dirven economy, with a focus on driving people to buy, buy, buy stuff, in order to keep the engines of commerce going, combined with making it said to be purely competitive, where I get mine, and forget everyone else, is producing parasite mentality of consumption, and lack of serving and solving real problems, for a number of reasons.

I had thought last night, about the whole "Zombie apocalypse" thing going about today, and the Romero model for the zombie and I am think that is symbolic of what is going on now.  American culture is full of people who expect to get rich, "live the good life" and so on, just because.  It is a virus mentality of a consumer, driven by get, get, get, where people are pampered from a young age and told they are "special".  Basic laws of economy are, if you want to have more, you bring more to the market.  You serve and you solve.  You bring goods and services.  But, do we have that today?  Nope.  The idea is to "stimulate" and somehow the Keynesian sugar rush will make everything wonderful.  Well, it isn't.  Instead, we produce more and more zombies, in the form of individuals and organizations who are out for their own, and getting more.  And there is the debt bomb also.  And factor in everyone for themselves, and you have zombies.

Society would be a lot better if people learned how to properly serve and see problems, and work to solve them, rather than ending up needy beggers.

Yep... instead of saying "this is where we are now we need to work toegther to get out of this"  the government instead talks of stimulus and blames the rich. 

Because it's easy, and easy to get reelected that way.

They tend to follow more along the lines of "They Live."

Another problem is well, most people don't know the basic laws of economics.   Ask most people and they probably still live under a "zero-sum" idea about how the economy works.   

IE, there is a finite amount of wealth in the world, therefore to have more, someone must have less.

Based on the signs, most of the protesters are under the same illusion.

If there was any kind of education that WOULD help a country it would probably be mandatory economics classes in highschool.

Additionally, the sugar rushes just kinda put "non zombies" in a holding patern.   Most people coserve and just wait for the good times to come back, which just slows down real progress.

It's ironic though, the people aren't fighting back because they're angry about being lied too, they're fighting back because they believe in the lies.

It's not like someone being mad that they were lied about Santa Claus.

It's people mad they aren't getting their Christmas gifts and decide the only logical reason for this is that the global elite have kidnapped Santa Claus.

Around the Network

I been paying for my own home since 2000. I have a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee and a 2011 Ford Fusion. I own all of the video game consoles and I have a huge library for each. I don't have any credit card debt. I don't have any loans. I have a great job with benefits and a savings account that I put money into every week. I didn't go to college. The Wii U comes out in 2012 and I'm worried that when I buy it, I won't be able to support it with new games every few weeks because I have too many other consoles. I may have to sell my penis for sex. Where is my government assistance? I am the 99% www.occupywallst.org

Somewhere along the way, this thread became interesting! Carry on, guys!!

Kasz216 said:

I'd say the greatest flaw though, just lies in the inconsistent message.

It seems like they're demanding government action to try and limit the effect corporations have to sway rules there way and to create jobs....

When government is exactly WHY corporations have such abilities.

To propose more government action is how you get Stimulus bills that get spent on nothing to help and just run up the costs for the average consumer, and how you get laws like Dodd Frank, which are essentially designed to kill small businesses to the advantage of bigger ones. (In this case, banks.)   Chris Dodd being like, the biggest bank schill in either party.  (Lost in the whole anti-bank movement is that historically democrats get more donations from banks then republicans.)

Oh, and also greatly hinder job creation since now, it's going to be hard as hell to get loans.

The only long term jobs government can create are government jobs... and as Greece has shown, you don't want to have an economy that relies on government jobs, because it's just a case of diminishing returns.

It's all a very silly approach.

You need a concentrated approach that if anything forces polticians to take powers away from themselves.

Otherwise they'll just right loophole after loophole into their own bills so everything looks better but isn't.

I mean shit, anyone who's been paying attention would of noticed this already what with the constant campaign finance laws that were added with giant loopholes.  Like the good old "Toothpick rule."

The only real options are

A)Getting private money out elections all together

B) Get rid of governments ability to play favorites in the market place.

And Option A actually isn't an option since it's a violation of the first ammendment.

The reason that was considered a first amendment violation (if we're referring to that one supreme court case that struck down McCain-Feingold) was because of the idiotic notion of corporate personhood, but importantly because McCain-Feingold was discriminating against such personhood. If all private money were banned altogether, would that not be a different issue judicially?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

HappySqurriel said:
richardhutnik said:

Well, looks like Teabonics on the left to me.  Apparently people don't bother to proofread their signs they use in protests.

What needs to be understood, is that, you feel (and can demonstrate) that you go the short end of the stick, and feel that there is an elite class who increasingly gets ahead, and you don't, then it doesn't matter how much you speak about "living off the wealth and privilege provided a global capitalist system".  Hard to say anyone lives off it, when you have a mound of debt for the "honor" of buying lottery tickets.

I, for example, am sitting on piles of student loan debt, and wonder if I should drive anywhere.  Who am I supposed to show graditute do for this?  This student loan debt can't be discharged as any other.  People have been sold lots and lots of lies, and now the bill comes due.  

As of now, what isn't a "useless career"?  Is everyone supposed to go into nursing or become a truck driver?  That and engineering were shown as three "hot job" categories out there.  You know what?  How about allowing bankruptcy to cause student loans going away, and not bailing out colleges, and then see what happens next?  A lot of colleges would close.  People pick useless careers because loans are given out for them.

There are many educational fields that are structured in a way that there is one post grad position for every 10 (or more) graduates, there is one teaching/researching position for every 10 (or more) post grad students, and the only jobs that exist in these fields are in academia; and these academic positions are strictly based on teaching new students in the field and/or writing books that you force these students to read. In other words, these fields are gigantic Ponzi schemes which are fed through borrowed money backed by the government and the lies of countless people.

With so many intelligent, hard working people, and over educated people in the system the lack of jobs has pushed many of these failed academics to get more education; and more often than not these individuals choose to become lawyers. This has once again created a situation where there is one working law position for every 10 (or more) graduates, and one particularly wealthy lawyer for every working lawyer.

Now, these dramatically over educated individuals decide to "create" a "career" for themselves and this typically involves them becoming community organizers, starting not-for-profits or non-governmental agencies, or becoming lobbyists; and their "job" effectively becomes petitioning the government to give them taxpayer dollars to be paid well with a fancy title and do absolutely no good for anyone.

These community organizers and lobbyists are perfect examples of worthless careers.

Now lumping them all together is entirely unfair. I've worked in the NGO community, and many of them work for special interests that are truly worthy, and not just criminal activity like lobbying to get the marcellus shale companies to operate without taxes or oversight. NGOs espeically are usually there for good reasons, unless you're the organization for "Clean Coal"

Mr Khan said:
Kasz216 said:

I'd say the greatest flaw though, just lies in the inconsistent message.

It seems like they're demanding government action to try and limit the effect corporations have to sway rules there way and to create jobs....

When government is exactly WHY corporations have such abilities.

To propose more government action is how you get Stimulus bills that get spent on nothing to help and just run up the costs for the average consumer, and how you get laws like Dodd Frank, which are essentially designed to kill small businesses to the advantage of bigger ones. (In this case, banks.)   Chris Dodd being like, the biggest bank schill in either party.  (Lost in the whole anti-bank movement is that historically democrats get more donations from banks then republicans.)

Oh, and also greatly hinder job creation since now, it's going to be hard as hell to get loans.

The only long term jobs government can create are government jobs... and as Greece has shown, you don't want to have an economy that relies on government jobs, because it's just a case of diminishing returns.

It's all a very silly approach.

You need a concentrated approach that if anything forces polticians to take powers away from themselves.

Otherwise they'll just right loophole after loophole into their own bills so everything looks better but isn't.

I mean shit, anyone who's been paying attention would of noticed this already what with the constant campaign finance laws that were added with giant loopholes.  Like the good old "Toothpick rule."

The only real options are

A)Getting private money out elections all together

B) Get rid of governments ability to play favorites in the market place.

And Option A actually isn't an option since it's a violation of the first ammendment.

The reason that was considered a first amendment violation (if we're referring to that one supreme court case that struck down McCain-Feingold) was because of the idiotic notion of corporate personhood, but importantly because McCain-Feingold was discriminating against such personhood. If all private money were banned altogether, would that not be a different issue judicially?

Removing all public money would rob a person (not just a corporations) right to free speech to talk about a candidate they like or dislike.

If I'm talking on the street about why I like Hulk Hogan for president, it's no different if I have 12 cameras pointed on me, nor is it different if I've paid those 12 cameras pointed at me, so as to put them on TV so others can hear about my rabid support for Hulk Hogan for president.

I'm talking of course about the "Super PAC".

To disallow or limit Super Pac's would be allowing government to ban or limit political speech.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

Because people come together and incorporate themselves doesn't mean they somehow forfeit their first amendment rights. Solicitor general Kagan and her deputy actually argued that the government has the right to ban books if they come out too close to an election, for crying out loud. They absolutely deserved to lose that case, and they deserved to be loaded into a cannon and fired into a live volcano besides for even making such a dumb fucking argument on the taxpayers' dime to begin with.

Kasz216 said:
richardhutnik said:

Basic laws of economy are, if you want to have more, you bring more to the market.  You serve and you solve.  You bring goods and services.  But, do we have that today?  Nope.  The idea is to "stimulate" and somehow the Keynesian sugar rush will make everything wonderful.  Well, it isn't.  Instead, we produce more and more zombies, in the form of individuals and organizations who are out for their own, and getting more.  And there is the debt bomb also.  And factor in everyone for themselves, and you have zombies.

Society would be a lot better if people learned how to properly serve and see problems, and work to solve them, rather than ending up needy beggers.

Yep... instead of saying "this is where we are now we need to work toegther to get out of this"  the government instead talks of stimulus and blames the rich. 

Another problem is well, most people don't know the basic laws of economics.   Ask most people and they probably still live under a "zero-sum" idea about how the economy works.   

IE, there is a finite amount of wealth in the world, therefore to have more, someone must have less.

I wasn't sure where to shorten this, so I chopped it off here.  What is happening is that the first part of what you wrote about working together is getting undermined by increasing class warfare talk.  There is your side, but there is also the other side which then blames everyone who is getting shorted for their own problems.  There is corruption going about at the top, for one thing, and also culturally that undermines the ability to work together.  But, rather than discuss and try to reach common ground, things happen that I run into, where it is either red or blue and crush those who aren't on your side.  I have gotten those words thrown at me, for example, so I know them.  And you see it happening in Washington.  It is blame the other side.  It is thinking the only way the rich get ahead is by being evil, or that the only reason why you aren't rich is that you are lazy or don't want it enough.  I could get go, from a humble human's perspective speak about the Christian message here, and say how none of that even remotely fits what Christ would have.

Anyhow, I would say MAYBE there is a chance to do with the Occupy movement what didn't happen with the Tea Party.  MAYBE people from a more conservative and/or libertarian perspective could get involved and help direct things.  What I do know is a LOT can be done, and won't be done with every man for himself.  This isn't going to cut it.  On my end, I am looking to see if I can get involved locally in things.  I am also seeing about working with a startup who gets other startups off the ground, and hope that makes a difference.  Will see how it goes.

richardhutnik said:
Kasz216 said:
richardhutnik said:

Basic laws of economy are, if you want to have more, you bring more to the market.  You serve and you solve.  You bring goods and services.  But, do we have that today?  Nope.  The idea is to "stimulate" and somehow the Keynesian sugar rush will make everything wonderful.  Well, it isn't.  Instead, we produce more and more zombies, in the form of individuals and organizations who are out for their own, and getting more.  And there is the debt bomb also.  And factor in everyone for themselves, and you have zombies.

I wasn't sure where to shorten this, so I chopped it off here.  What is happening is that the first part of what you wrote about working together is getting undermined by increasing class warfare talk.  There is your side, but there is also the other side which then blames everyone who is getting shorted for their own problems.  There is corruption going about at the top, for one thing, and also culturally that undermines the ability to work together.  But, rather than discuss and try to reach common ground, things happen that I run into, where it is either red or blue and crush those who aren't on your side.  I have gotten those words thrown at me, for example, so I know them.  And you see it happening in Washington.  It is blame the other side.  It is thinking the only way the rich get ahead is by being evil, or that the only reason why you aren't rich is that you are lazy or don't want it enough.  I could get go, from a humble human's perspective speak about the Christian message here, and say how none of that even remotely fits what Christ would have.

Anyhow, I would say MAYBE there is a chance to do with the Occupy movement what didn't happen with the Tea Party.  MAYBE people from a more conservative and/or libertarian perspective could get involved and help direct things.  What I do know is a LOT can be done, and won't be done with every man for himself.  This isn't going to cut it.  On my end, I am looking to see if I can get involved locally in things.  I am also seeing about working with a startup who gets other startups off the ground, and hope that makes a difference.  Will see how it goes.

I wouldn't say those who aren't rich are lazy or don't work hard enough.  I would actually say that there is a certain group of people that can never be rich because they just don't posses the right tools to become rich because they either can't or didn't work smart enough.

There are many ways to become rich, but even if you had complete god like control over every single person i'd doubt you could create a situation in which everyone was at a state we'd consider "rich" currently. 

Though being rich really shouldn't be everyones goal.  Really it shouldn't be ANYONE's goal, since you don't need to be rich to live a good life.

Though most people would be better off if they accepted that they DID make a mistake rather then blame an outside force.

You can pretty much always point to a reason someone didn't succeed.  Afterall most people don't have a flawless view of economic reality.

Afterall, in your particular case, do you really believe if you were given a chance to go back in time and keep retrying to succeed that you would NEVER find a way to be rich no matter how many different choices you made? 

Of course even if failing is someones fault it's not like you should let them starve. 

This is why you do need a social saftey net, though the way we do it is INCREDIBLY stupid and wasteful.

We would be much better served eliminating every welfare plan we have currently and replace it with a negative income tax that's paid to the person directly.  You'd still have people who fail, but at this point it really would be their own fault.

badgenome said:
Mr Khan said:

Because people come together and incorporate themselves doesn't mean they somehow forfeit their first amendment rights. Solicitor general Kagan and her deputy actually argued that the government has the right to ban books if they come out too close to an election, for crying out loud. They absolutely deserved to lose that case, and they deserved to be loaded into a cannon and fired into a live volcano besides for even making such a dumb fucking argument on the taxpayers' dime to begin with.

Right, but the body that the people form should not have the legal rights of a person. People in corporations retain their rights to be certain, but the corporation itself should not be afforded the same electoral rights.

Mr Khan said:
badgenome said:
Mr Khan said:

Right, but the body that the people form should not have the legal rights of a person. People in corporations retain their rights to be certain, but the corporation itself should not be afforded the same electoral rights.

Sure, but is anyone saying that a corporation should have a right to vote? That's a new one on me. I thought we were talking about people having the right to say whatever they want, which is something that Congress is constitutionally forbidden from making any laws against.

If one does accept the premise that there should be a limit to the political speech of corporations, how can the existence of a Fox News or a New York Times be at all justified? "Freedom of the press" doesn't only apply to self-important assholes who call themselves journalists. It also extends to the lowliest blogger and, indeed, the biggest corporation.