By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Official Dark Souls Thread - .....It Begins

sabby_e17 said:
Before I use it, what does a humanity do?

And where do I go from Lordran? :/

I just got killed by some weird ghosts and those annoying skeletons are hard to take down lol. This game is much harder than Demon's Souls.

Humanity allows you to return to human form (which gives you a higher rate of item discovery), allows you to kindle bonfires to gain 10 estus flasks, increases defenses, increases curse resistance and there are some conflicting reports about it increasing damage from weapons and some pyromancies. 

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/humanity

Are you starting the game? If so, you're not supposed to go fight the ghosts nor the skeletons just yet, since they're too much powerful for your character. You should go to the Undead Burg, which is located to the right side of the first Bonfire on Lordran after climbing up a hill and entering a sewer (fighting armoured zombies and a rat along the way).

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
lestatdark said:
sabby_e17 said:

I just got killed by some weird ghosts and those annoying skeletons are hard to take down lol. This game is much harder than Demon's Souls.

Humanity allows you to return to human form (which gives you a higher rate of item discovery), allows you to kindle bonfires to gain 10 estus flasks, increases defenses, increases curse resistance and there are some conflicting reports about it increasing damage from weapons and some pyromancies. 

Are you starting the game? If so, you're not supposed to go fight the ghosts nor the skeletons just yet, since they're too much powerful for your character. You should go to the Undead Burg, which is located to the right side of the first Bonfire on Lordran after climbing up a hill and entering a sewer (fighting armoured zombies and a rat along the way).

Thanks for the advice Lestat. Helpful like always

But about the humanities, is it better to use them straight away? In demon's Souls, there was white/black world tendency. So if I were to die in human form, would it affect the world tendency (if there is any)?

lestatdark said:

I'ts also been reported that it changes how certain NPCs react to you.

Like covenants, it is belied that it has effects that haven't yet been discovered.

sabby_e17 said:
lestatdark said:
sabby_e17 said:

But about the humanities, is it better to use them straight away. In demon's Souls, there was white/black world tendency. So if I were to die in human form, would it affect the world tendency (if there is any)?

No world tendency as far as I've heard.

ctalkeb said:
sabby_e17 said:
lestatdark said:
sabby_e17 said:

But about the humanities, is it better to use them straight away. In demon's Souls, there was white/black world tendency. So if I were to die in human form, would it affect the world tendency (if there is any)?

Yeah, the covenants supposedly substituted the World Tendencies. 

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
lestatdark said:
ctalkeb said:
sabby_e17 said:
lestatdark said:
sabby_e17 said:

Yeah. It is widely thought that there may be effects coming into play when the global power relations between covenants change.

Not that anyone knows, and From certainly isn't telling.

ctalkeb said:
lestatdark said:
ctalkeb said:
sabby_e17 said:
lestatdark said:
sabby_e17 said:

Yeah. It is widely thought that there may be effects coming into play when the global power relations between covenants change.

Well they also didn't explain about the world tendencies in Demon's Souls as well, so they're letting the community find out for themselves. I kinda like that system.

In other news, started a new playthrough as a Depraved class. Just left the Asylum now with no deaths so far.

Current PC Build

im a bit lost at the mo.
Ive gone through UNDEAD BURG and defeated the taurus demon and also gone through UNDEAD PARISH and took the dragons tail to get the Drake Sword (which is awesome), i defeated the metal tusk beast there and took the "mysterious key", i then sort of hit a dead end so headed back to UNDEAD BURG and went down the spiral staircase in which i came face to face with a big guard at the bottom so i deafeated him and went through the door and came out into DARKROOT BASIN. ive defeated a dark knight in this region and also found some leather armour. but im getting the impression i might be heading the wrong way or missing something.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

lestatdark said:
ctalkeb said:
lestatdark said:
ctalkeb said:
sabby_e17 said:
lestatdark said:
sabby_e17 said:

Well they also didn't explain about the world tendencies in Demon's Souls as well, so they're letting the community find out for themselves. I kinda like that system.

In other news, started a new playthrough as a Depraved class. Just left the Asylum now with no deaths so far.

Of course, it's part of what I like about the series as well, and probably a large part of why the online community for these games is so nice.

ctalkeb said:
Slimebeast said:

A question for everybody. How do you feel about the change of responsiveness of the controls compared to Demon's Souls?

I think From has said that stats affect your movement more than in Demon's Souls this time around,  may that be a cause?

Oh. I hope that's true. Either way Im getting used to these quick movements and starting to like them.

The game itself is incredible of course.