By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dark Souls Class Discussion Thread

Tagged games:

StefanieFogel said:
lestatdark said:
StefanieFogel said:
Did anyone ever play the Hunter in Demon's Souls? How does that class work? What do you do in close combat? I'm assuming weapon switching is involved. I've always liked ranged combat and now I'm considering going that route, although the vulnerability to magic thing sounds pretty sucky.

Hunter here. 

Close combat was strictly piercing and backstabbing attacks in the first playthrough, mostly with a Sharp Uchigatana + 5, but yeah there was a lot, looooooot of weapon switching, because your most used weapon is going to be some type of bow (Sticky Compound Long Bow +5 with Heavy/White Arrows for me). Bows are also somewhat useful in close combat, if you use a fast lock-on and dodge strategy since you can take potshots at close range. 

Vulnerability to magic really is the drawback of the class, but you can somewhat counter-effect it with the Venerable Sage/Saint's Robes sets, which give you a good hefty boost to your Magic Resistance. That and the Dark Silver Shield as well. 

Your main focus, as a Hunter, is to hit 30 Dex (anything more is useless, since the boost to ranged damage isn't worth the extra points, 30 is required to use a Sticky Compound Long Bow). Also, since you're overall weak to damage, you could invest some points into Stamina and Endurance, so you can equip heavier sets (I ended up with the ability to equip Brushwood Armour without having it encumbering me). Be prepared to time your rolls effectively (that will require you to learn every enemy's pattern of attack) and combine that with the afformentioned strategy of lock-on. 

It's a pretty fun and challenging class to use, not your straightforward class such as Knight or Magician.

Informative stuff there, thanks! :)

I'm assuming other classes can use ranged weapons too, but maybe not as well as the Hunter?

Just as well, depends on your Dex, I'm 1 hour through the game right now and I can't find a bow , Hunters start the game with one

Fire spells seems exclusive to pyromancer ,but you can learn miracles ( healing and thunder spells ), also there is a Covenant system which is hard to explain , for example joinning the Covenant of the Witch will give you a very advanced fire spells as a pyromancer. Breaking the Covenant bring you a curse that you might spend hours just to heal it, there is another covenants with crazy online features, for more info about the Covenant system: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Covenants

Around the Network

After giving it more thought, I'm now thinking of going Wanderer. They look pretty cool and seem like a well-rounded class. And I'm probably going to chose the Master Key as a gift, because I've read that it's the only gift that can't be found in the game world.

I'm just hoping that I can find a catalyst early in the game, though, because I do want to take advantage of spells.

"But I don't want to go among mad people!" said Alice. "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat. "We're all mad here."

Follow me on Twitter! @stefaniefogel

Huntard! Well I just finished Demon's Souls lastnight with it. Will grab this game as soon as I get extra cash :(.

So after all of my speculation about which class to play, now that I actually own the game I think I'm going to stick with a pyromancer. Having spells from the beginning does make things easier and the pyro is a bit sturdier than the sorcerer. Also, fireballs!

"But I don't want to go among mad people!" said Alice. "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat. "We're all mad here."

Follow me on Twitter! @stefaniefogel