By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Texas: No More Special Last Meals for Death Row Inmates

Tagged games:

Do you think death row inmates should recieve special last meals?

Yes 67 69.79%

No 27 28.13%

Total:94
Final-Fan said:
vlad321 said:
Final-Fan said:

Manners aren't like that.  You shouldn't only be polite to people who are also polite to you.  As for "they'll be dead anyay", so will you.  Does that mean being nice to you doesn't matter? 

I believe the death penalty is such an extraordinary punishment that it calls for a little special treatment of the doomed, no matter their crimes. 

For instance, that's also why they get so many chances at appeal. 

However manners are social behavior or habits, however society has made it very clear it does not want the person on death row. So I don't see why they should be extended to the person.

Also the difference between me dying and him is the certainty. I eat because I'm betting that I will not be dead in the next few hours, even more specifically, I eat so as to NOT die in the next several days. The sole purpose of eating is to not die. There is no point in feeding the dead.

If we're getting ready to deport someone are they no longer protected by the Constitution? 

So you don't care whatsoever about the food you're eating beyond its nutritional content?  It could taste like shit and you wouldn't care?  Food is more than fuel. 

If you're interested in cutting government waste in this area, why not campaign to stop the cremation/burial of unclaimed bodies?  Just dump them in a landfill. 

But deportation and execution are an entirely different beast. In one case you are removing a person from a section of humanity. When you execute someone he is removed from ALL of humanity, every social norm. You really can't compare the two.

Also, if I had no choice I wouldn't care what we eat. Our tastes have evolved to be what they are, as in paractical. For example sweets, they have a lot of enbergy, however they used to be very rare. So you better eat it as soon as you find it.

I also have no problem with just dumping people in a landfill. Open up a small office, or just tack it onto someone's job description, that if someone has a problem with their corpse being dumped in a landfill, they have 3 months to get up and file a complaint after they die. I wonder how many complaints there will be.,...

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network
vlad321 said:
Final-Fan said:

If we're getting ready to deport someone are they no longer protected by the Constitution? 

So you don't care whatsoever about the food you're eating beyond its nutritional content?  It could taste like shit and you wouldn't care?  Food is more than fuel. 

If you're interested in cutting government waste in this area, why not campaign to stop the cremation/burial of unclaimed bodies?  Just dump them in a landfill. 

But deportation and execution are an entirely different beast. In one case you are removing a person from a section of humanity. When you execute someone he is removed from ALL of humanity, every social norm. You really can't compare the two.

Also, if I had no choice I wouldn't care what we eat. Our tastes have evolved to be what they are, as in paractical. For example sweets, they have a lot of enbergy, however they used to be very rare. So you better eat it as soon as you find it.

I also have no problem with just dumping people in a landfill. Open up a small office, or just tack it onto someone's job description, that if someone has a problem with their corpse being dumped in a landfill, they have 3 months to get up and file a complaint after they die. I wonder how many complaints there will be.,...

"manners are social behavior or habits, however society has made it very clear it does not want the person on death row. So I don't see why they should be extended to the person."

"Constitutional protections are American rights, however America has made it very clear it does not want the person being deported. So I don't see why they should be extended to the person."

You are seriously telling me you don't see the parallel here? 

On food:  but you do care.  And in fact you prove my point when you say we are evolved to want to eat sweets, that they would be something desired because the person will enjoy them and not purely for the fuel provided.  You can still argue that you think we ought to withhold the food as further punishment but not on the basis of "the body doesn't need the fuel so it doesn't matter". 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Final-Fan said:
vlad321 said:
Final-Fan said:

"manners are social behavior or habits, however society has made it very clear it does not want the person on death row. So I don't see why they should be extended to the person."

"Constitutional protections are American rights, however America has made it very clear it does not want the person being deported. So I don't see why they should be extended to the person."

On food:  but you do care.  And in fact you prove my point when you say we are evolved to want to eat sweets, that they would be something desired because the person will enjoy them and not purely for the fuel provided.  You can still argue that you think we ought to withhold the food as further punishment but not on the basis of "the body doesn't need the fuel so it doesn't matter". 

I can see the parellel, however saying that a cuban being sent back is deprived of his constitutional rights isn't the same as some one receiving a meal before dying. If the person being deported is harmed, physically or mentally, then the harm will remain after he has left the country. If you don't give the death row person a meal, it won't matter worth a damn to him after being dead (again, if it does we can set up an office where he can complain afterwards, let's see how many complaints we get). That is why the parallel is not correct. One is lasting, one is not.

I admit that sweets are something to be esired yes, but that was so we can survive, the whole "survival of the fittest" having a power over evolutin and stuff. The prisoner will not be surviving, hence even the evolved tastes are very much pointless in the grand scheme of things. If it's to make the person feel good, just shoot up some meth in him and then kill him.

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
Final-Fan said:

This is absolutely a dick move. If anything it's the sort of reaction Whitmore was probably hoping for.

@ vlad, they got to taste it and enjoy the food. I think that despite the horrible crimes MOST of these people have committed, when you're executing someone a little courtesy is called for. 

I am all down for showing some courtesy, the moment there is even a tiny, miniscule, chance that they showed some courtesy to whoever they killed. If not, no point in wasting good food and money on someone who will be dead anywho, the most literal situtation you can come to call a "waste."

We're all going to die anyway. Wem ight as well all stop eating and stop wasting preious resources and time when death is inecapable anyway. Great idea man.

vlad321 said:
Player1x3 said:
vlad321 said:

Good god man, you can't go TWO sentences without contradicting yourself. In sentence one you acknowledge that murder is not the same action as killing someone for murder. Then in sentence two you claim it is hypocritical, or the same. Cognitive dissonance much? Do you even realize that your 2 sentences are contradictory?

I can, its just that you are either seeing some unexistant point, or you are totally missing mine. I am all for harsh punishment of a said action, just not the one in which person is killed. Taking away human life is never acceptable, except in self defence and saving innocent life.Whoever does it for any other reason should be severely punished. However, a convict on life sentence cant do any more harm to the society, and if the person he/she killed is already dead(duh), killing a convict wont bring the victim back, so there is no point

You could have just said "no, i don't see the contradiction in what I said." and it would have been shorter. You said it was hypocritical, saying that the two actions, execution and murder, are the same. However, we agreed that an action has two parts, purpose and consequence. Execution and murder have the same consequence, yes, however the purposes are VERY different, making the actions different and therefore not hypocritical.

Killing the convict is just to make sure society knows what will happen when you do something heinous. Even monkeys who get shocked every time an object is touched learn not to touch said object. It's negative reinforcement for all of society.

It sure works. The U.S only has the highest murder rate of any country in the western world. But then again it houses the most prisoners in the world and practices the death penalty so I'm sure that's all working as a great deterrant. 

oh wait...But research shows that humane, so-called "luxury" prisons are much more effective at rehabiliation. damn.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheYoungTurks#p/search/1/VyiodSMNv4E

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheYoungTurks#p/search/0/wgHdGr4aQoU

Around the Network
vlad321 said:
Final-Fan said:

I can see the parellel, however saying that a cuban being sent back is deprived of his constitutional rights isn't the same as some one receiving a meal before dying. If the person being deported is harmed, physically or mentally, then the harm will remain after he has left the country. If you don't give the death row person a meal, it won't matter worth a damn to him after being dead (again, if it does we can set up an office where he can complain afterwards, let's see how many complaints we get). That is why the parallel is not correct. One is lasting, one is not.

I admit that sweets are something to be esired yes, but that was so we can survive, the whole "survival of the fittest" having a power over evolutin and stuff. The prisoner will not be surviving, hence even the evolved tastes are very much pointless in the grand scheme of things. If it's to make the person feel good, just shoot up some meth in him and then kill him.

A person doesn't have to be hurt to have their rights violated.  Is it OK for the FBI to ransack your house if you never know they were there?  The harm is also to our laws, or our society, as in the case of "social behavior" as you put it. 

Your argument that our tastes are pointless if they no longer serve an evolutionary purpose is irrelevant.  If you're OK with giving them meth, why not food?  I don't get your position at all anymore. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

Final-Fan said:
vlad321 said:
Final-Fan said:

A person doesn't have to be hurt to have their rights violated.  Is it OK for the FBI to ransack your house if you never know they were there?  The harm is also to our laws, or our society, as in the case of "social behavior" as you put it. 

Your argument that our tastes are pointless if they no longer serve an evolutionary purpose is irrelevant.  If you're OK with giving them meth, why not food?  I don't get your position at all anymore. 

Seeing as how I am being deported, I don't see why I should give a damn if the FBI ransack it. If there is no harm done whatsoever, then I REALLY don't see what theproblem would be. After all, the point of the Constitution is to provide people the groundwork to prosper, by avoiding harm, physical or not, to our persons.

Also, I just assumed it would be super cheap to make meth legally, but I could be wrong. My point is that if they HAVE to be comforted (I still can't find a single reason why they should be though) why does it have to be something as dumb and pointless as food? You eat -> survive.

Mepeteatu said:
sapphi_snake said:

Mepeteatu said:

Stacey Lawton

Crime:  Murder and Burglary

(Shot Dennis Price dead while stealing his truck, proceeded to steal two more trucks)

Executed: November 14, 2000

Last Meal Request: Jar of dill pickles

Robert Madden

Crime: Double Murder

(Killed Herbert Megason and his son Don Megason, hid the bodies in a creek)

Executed: May 28, 1997

Last Meal Request: Asked his meal to be procided to a homeless person.

Richard Beavers

Crime: Abduction, Murder, Rape, Attempted Murder

(Abducted a couple, shot Douglas Odle, raped Jenny Odle, and shot her in the head but she survived)

Executed: April 4, 1994

Last Meal Request: Six pieces of french toast with syrup, jelly, butter, six barbecued spare ribs, six pieces of well burned bacon, four scrambled eggs, five well cooked sausage patties, french fries with catsup, three slices of cheese, two pieces of yellow cake with chocolate fudge icing, and four cartons of milk.

Danny Harris

Crime: Murder and Robbery

(Beat Timothy Merka with a tire iron to death and stole what the man had on him)

Executed: July 30, 1993

Last Meal Request: God's saving grace, love, truth, peace and freedom.

Charles Rumbauch

Crime: Murder and Robbery

(Killed Micheal Fiorillo during a jewelry store heist)

Executed: September 11, 1985

Last Meal Request: One flour tortilla and water.

Did he actually eat that much???!!!

Anyways, it's surprisong how simple the others' meals were.

Again these were requests, if they actually got them or not, we don't know.

I'm just saying that their requests aren't as extravagant as I would've expected.

"I don't understand how someone could like Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky, but not like Twilight!!!"

"Last book I read was Brokeback Mountain, I just don't have the patience for them unless it's softcore porn."

(The Voice of a Generation and Seece)

"If you cant stand the sound of your own voice than dont become a singer !!!!!"

(pizzahut451)

sapphi_snake said:
Mepeteatu said:
sapphi_snake said:

Did he actually eat that much???!!!

Anyways, it's surprisong how simple the others' meals were.

Again these were requests, if they actually got them or not, we don't know.

I'm just saying that their requests aren't as extravagant as I would've expected.

Your quote nest, on the other hand...

contestgamer said:
vlad321 said:
Player1x3 said:
vlad321 said:

Good god man, you can't go TWO sentences without contradicting yourself. In sentence one you acknowledge that murder is not the same action as killing someone for murder. Then in sentence two you claim it is hypocritical, or the same. Cognitive dissonance much? Do you even realize that your 2 sentences are contradictory?

I can, its just that you are either seeing some unexistant point, or you are totally missing mine. I am all for harsh punishment of a said action, just not the one in which person is killed. Taking away human life is never acceptable, except in self defence and saving innocent life.Whoever does it for any other reason should be severely punished. However, a convict on life sentence cant do any more harm to the society, and if the person he/she killed is already dead(duh), killing a convict wont bring the victim back, so there is no point

You could have just said "no, i don't see the contradiction in what I said." and it would have been shorter. You said it was hypocritical, saying that the two actions, execution and murder, are the same. However, we agreed that an action has two parts, purpose and consequence. Execution and murder have the same consequence, yes, however the purposes are VERY different, making the actions different and therefore not hypocritical.

Killing the convict is just to make sure society knows what will happen when you do something heinous. Even monkeys who get shocked every time an object is touched learn not to touch said object. It's negative reinforcement for all of society.

It sure works. The U.S only has the highest murder rate of any country in the western world. But then again it houses the most prisoners in the world and practices the death penalty so I'm sure that's all working as a great deterrant. 

oh wait...But research shows that humane, so-called "luxury" prisons are much more effective at rehabiliation. damn.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheYoungTurks#p/search/1/VyiodSMNv4E

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheYoungTurks#p/search/0/wgHdGr4aQoU

You do realize that the correlation does not mean causation correct? There are other problems that lead to the murder rate.

Also why the fuck are you rehabilitating pre-meditated murder convicts?