By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Worldwide UP 17th September

binary solo said:
PS3 only a few weeks away from being under 3 million behind 360. Will be interesting to see whether the gap keeps narrowing all the way through to the new year or whether 360 will widen the gap back out to over 3 million.

I'm glad R3 managed 100K this week, though it's not really all that great news. Dang at Dead Island. There's obviously pent up demand for a zombie game. There's not really been anything of this sort since L4D2 has there? And that wasn't for PS3, so PS3 has been pretty short changed for zombie killing FP games.

I do hope R3 legs it out past Dead Island (on PS3). But both really need to make hay now before the big FPS boys come put to play. Otherwise wait until next year. I have a feeling that some PS3 gamers have gone with Dead Island for their time filler until either MW3 or BF3 because the differences are greater than between those games and R3.

VGC vs Media Create for Japan

MC
3DS 58,837
PS3 36,061
PSP 25,122
Wii 15,406
DSi LL 2,869
DSi 2,234
360 1,295
DS Lite 78

3DS and Wii higher on VGC. PS3, 360, PSP and DS lower on VGC. If VGC numbers for Wii had matched Media Create, Wii would have been below 100K for the week.

@ Reasonable: I guess it depends on what you consider decent in the context of the opening performance of games like Rise of Nightmares and Gunstringer. I imagine they'll crawl along to 100K, which is decent for games with sub 30K opening weeks. But by any general standard of sales success for games this generation 100K is not really decent sales. Kinect has a 10 million install base now, 100K isn't all that decent for a 10 million install base with a fairly limited number of available game titles.

Agree.  I'm not sure about Rise/Gunstringer yet.  Joyride I believe has moved past 500K for example so I'm going to wait and see how these two perform.

Overall though I think Kinect based titles at retail aren't looking good right now, with only a few seeing truly respectable sales.  I love the tech of Kinect and the PC mod stuff but I'm still unconvinced that Kinect offers a broad, fun experience.  It is great with dance/fitness but for me all other games such as table tennis or bowling feel better on Wii/PS3 with their motion control schemes.

I'm of the view that titles like Gunstringer and Child of Eden seem live XBLA titles rather than retail titles, and it feels like MS is pushing these titles to retail to have an onshelf presence for Kinect even if it doesn't suit the titles well.

Of course it could simply be that the demand for such stuff still remains more with the Wii and MS (and Sony too) may have to simply accept being second fiddle in this space for the rest of the gen.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network
Xenostar said:
360 > PS3 gap to drop below 3m next week for the first time.

Gears 3 Bundle might make that difficult.

It will be interesting to see if Gears can push enough new xboxes to the market to beat the PS3 next week. I seriously have no clue how many it will push, but it will interesting nonetheless.

Despite the bad numbers this week for the PS3 (compared to last week) I still like those numbers. For me this 50 price cut was never about the short term effect, but about how many more PS3s can they sell until the end of this year. This was a long term price cut, not a short one, but there is no dining that the drop they had this week was big, and let´s see if this trend continues and they disappoint in the holidays, if Sony feels pressured to "rush" a new console out.

I don´t think they will, but you never know the market.

Blood_Tears said:
Xenostar said:

Good call forgot about that, would have to make up an additional 40k on this week, are they any predictions for the boost?

Xenostar said:
Blood_Tears said:
Xenostar said:

Good call forgot about that, would have to make up an additional 40k on this week, are they any predictions for the boost?

Well I am not sure what others are predicting, but i think it can push 40k on there weekly base for next week. So my prediction next week would have 360 at 160K and PS3 at 155K.

Around the Network

damn it! Just Dance 3 will cut into JD2 legs... surley it won't get to 10 million now.. :(

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Reasonable said:
binary solo said:
PS3 only a few weeks away from being under 3 million behind 360. Will be interesting to see whether the gap keeps narrowing all the way through to the new year or whether 360 will widen the gap back out to over 3 million.

I'm glad R3 managed 100K this week, though it's not really all that great news. Dang at Dead Island. There's obviously pent up demand for a zombie game. There's not really been anything of this sort since L4D2 has there? And that wasn't for PS3, so PS3 has been pretty short changed for zombie killing FP games.

I do hope R3 legs it out past Dead Island (on PS3). But both really need to make hay now before the big FPS boys come put to play. Otherwise wait until next year. I have a feeling that some PS3 gamers have gone with Dead Island for their time filler until either MW3 or BF3 because the differences are greater than between those games and R3.

VGC vs Media Create for Japan

MC
3DS 58,837
PS3 36,061
PSP 25,122
Wii 15,406
DSi LL 2,869
DSi 2,234
360 1,295
DS Lite 78

3DS and Wii higher on VGC. PS3, 360, PSP and DS lower on VGC. If VGC numbers for Wii had matched Media Create, Wii would have been below 100K for the week.

@ Reasonable: I guess it depends on what you consider decent in the context of the opening performance of games like Rise of Nightmares and Gunstringer. I imagine they'll crawl along to 100K, which is decent for games with sub 30K opening weeks. But by any general standard of sales success for games this generation 100K is not really decent sales. Kinect has a 10 million install base now, 100K isn't all that decent for a 10 million install base with a fairly limited number of available game titles.

Agree.  I'm not sure about Rise/Gunstringer yet.  Joyride I believe has moved past 500K for example so I'm going to wait and see how these two perform.

Overall though I think Kinect based titles at retail aren't looking good right now, with only a few seeing truly respectable sales.  I love the tech of Kinect and the PC mod stuff but I'm still unconvinced that Kinect offers a broad, fun experience.  It is great with dance/fitness but for me all other games such as table tennis or bowling feel better on Wii/PS3 with their motion control schemes.

I'm of the view that titles like Gunstringer and Child of Eden seem live XBLA titles rather than retail titles, and it feels like MS is pushing these titles to retail to have an onshelf presence for Kinect even if it doesn't suit the titles well.

Of course it could simply be that the demand for such stuff still remains more with the Wii and MS (and Sony too) may have to simply accept being second fiddle in this space for the rest of the gen.

Ithink there are some lingering doubts about Kinect's utility in the more traditional game genres. Whereas Move has proved itself very well in the shooter category, and it'll be interesting to see how Move integrates with inFamous 2 in the somewhat more action (but still very much shooter as well) category. I'll be playing inFamous 2 using Move initially. Move also proved itself very well with Heavy Rain (I definitely enjoyed playing it with Move more than using just the DS3). I also thought Move functioned quite well in R.U.S.E. So Move has shown a versatility in many traditional gaming genres that Kinect has yet to do.

Personally I'd quite like to have Kinect, but not so much for gaming. More for voice activations and "touch screen" PC control without getting dirty finger marks on the screen. The rise of tablets and multi-touch smartphones means people are getting into gesture based controls for electronic devices. And there Kinect is a good option for various devices, and better than a touchscreen in many cases. Kinect can also get rid of the keyboard. You just need a stencil outline of a keyboard on the desk and Kinect would be able to see what you're typing . Lots of cool uses for Kinect outside of gaming. I'd even go so far as to say Kinect is wasted on gaming. So hopefully gaming is merely the catalyst which leads to a much broader application of the technology.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

PS3 and GT5 drop weird again (waiting @Kowen or @Seece ;-D).

Anyway...

Gran Turismo 5 (PS3)
Sony Computer Entertainment, Racer
43 19,100 (-13%) 6,503,062

* Sometimes is needed to reload the picture to get the latest updates *

ADJUSTMENTS IN PREVIOUS WEEKS

DS up 25

X360 down 11
PS2 down 30
Wii down 186
PSP down 327
3DS down 406
PS3 down 876 

binary solo said:

Ithink there are some lingering doubts about Kinect's utility in the more traditional game genres. Whereas Move has proved itself very well in the shooter category, and it'll be interesting to see how Move integrates with inFamous 2 in the somewhat more action (but still very much shooter as well) category. I'll be playing inFamous 2 using Move initially. Move also proved itself very well with Heavy Rain (I definitely enjoyed playing it with Move more than using just the DS3). I also thought Move functioned quite well in R.U.S.E. So Move has shown a versatility in many traditional gaming genres that Kinect has yet to do.

Personally I'd quite like to have Kinect, but not so much for gaming. More for voice activations and "touch screen" PC control without getting dirty finger marks on the screen. The rise of tablets and multi-touch smartphones means people are getting into gesture based controls for electronic devices. And there Kinect is a good option for various devices, and better than a touchscreen in many cases. Kinect can also get rid of the keyboard. You just need a stencil outline of a keyboard on the desk and Kinect would be able to see what you're typing . Lots of cool uses for Kinect outside of gaming. I'd even go so far as to say Kinect is wasted on gaming. So hopefully gaming is merely the catalyst which leads to a much broader application of the technology.

woah, how is it that this is the first i heard about that?!?  cool beans.  do you know if it is only going to be for the FoB expansion or will they retrofit it into the existing infamous 2 game?  the article i read made no mention.