By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Which console will sell more in 2008, PS3 or 360?

Bonafide732 said:
this is a tough one for me... depends on games delays... price cuts ... new game announcements and etc...

Just assume everything will remain constant, all game releases schedules up until now are true.

Around the Network
FelmanX said:
Rugger08 said:

DongHungLong said:
PS3 is gonna tear it up in '08. LTD will be PS3 > 360 by end of '08. Those of you who keep on about MS making a price drop need to consider that MS's game division is in no better shape than Sonys without the Halo 3 quarter software sales. Sony can easily match even a $50 dollar price drop. Even more so in Japan where the 360 sales next to nothing.

Hopefully the install base and sales of MGS are enough to keep Konami happy and further fuel system sales until FF13 hits and square is more than happy to leave it exclusive. '08 is going to be an amazing year for Sony and MS best watch it's back.

In order for PS3 to pass 360 in LTD sales during 2008 PS3 would have to out sell 360 by more than 130K every week of the year. I find that hard to believe.

The 360 could reach the $200 mass market price tag this year, in which case they will easily beat PS3.

360 sales in Japan might be next to nothing, but you have to remember that until the holiday season the PS3 slaes were almost nothing also. If I remember correctly they were as low as 15K. Japan won't help PS3 by that much. FF13 might not even come out at all in 2008 so it might not help at all.

1. It's possible but probably unlikely. (pretty close last week. Lets see how things go thos week)

2. Won't hit $200 range, 250 more likely. Don't expect the arcade to sell like the wii.

3. FF13 is NOT coming out this year. GT5 might not make it either. But there are plenty of JRPGs this year.

I wasn't meaning that FF13 was coming this year. I knew it was 09 I just meant that by that time the install base will be more than enough to keep square happy. And if the PS3 can keep its grasp on Others and maintain a descent amount in Japan the US sales will eventually pick back up. If anything tho the PS3 will for sure pass the 360 in Others category leaving the 360 with a small lead only in the US.

I also don't know how the hell any of you think the Wii will push over 40mil by the end of '08.  Its been out for 14 months and has sold under 20mil.  Nintendo has stated they are not going to increase production and with them still selling out its obvious that they can't produce that many in the time frame.

PDF said:
The PS3 will sell more WW
The 360 will sell more in NA

I agree.

I expect the PS3 to sell 10.5 million and 360 to sell 8.25 million. Wii will beat both combined with 24 million, of course.

I am expecting price cuts for both systems this year, 360 in time for GTA4 and PS3 in time for MGS4. During Christmas, Sony's price cut will have proven more effective.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

PS3

Around the Network

Statistical dead heat

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

DongHungLong said:
FelmanX said:
Rugger08 said:

DongHungLong said:
PS3 is gonna tear it up in '08. LTD will be PS3 > 360 by end of '08. Those of you who keep on about MS making a price drop need to consider that MS's game division is in no better shape than Sonys without the Halo 3 quarter software sales. Sony can easily match even a $50 dollar price drop. Even more so in Japan where the 360 sales next to nothing.

Hopefully the install base and sales of MGS are enough to keep Konami happy and further fuel system sales until FF13 hits and square is more than happy to leave it exclusive. '08 is going to be an amazing year for Sony and MS best watch it's back.

In order for PS3 to pass 360 in LTD sales during 2008 PS3 would have to out sell 360 by more than 130K every week of the year. I find that hard to believe.

The 360 could reach the $200 mass market price tag this year, in which case they will easily beat PS3.

360 sales in Japan might be next to nothing, but you have to remember that until the holiday season the PS3 slaes were almost nothing also. If I remember correctly they were as low as 15K. Japan won't help PS3 by that much. FF13 might not even come out at all in 2008 so it might not help at all.

1. It's possible but probably unlikely. (pretty close last week. Lets see how things go thos week)

2. Won't hit $200 range, 250 more likely. Don't expect the arcade to sell like the wii.

3. FF13 is NOT coming out this year. GT5 might not make it either. But there are plenty of JRPGs this year.

I wasn't meaning that FF13 was coming this year. I knew it was 09 I just meant that by that time the install base will be more than enough to keep square happy. And if the PS3 can keep its grasp on Others and maintain a descent amount in Japan the US sales will eventually pick back up. If anything tho the PS3 will for sure pass the 360 in Others category leaving the 360 with a small lead only in the US.

I also don't know how the hell any of you think the Wii will push over 40mil by the end of '08. Its been out for 14 months and has sold under 20mil. Nintendo has stated they are not going to increase production and with them still selling out its obvious that they can't produce that many in the time frame.

Easy, Do The Maths.

Current production (1.8 million per month) * 12 months = 21.6 million sold over the course of 2008. And that's if Nintendo doesn't increase production at all, which is highly unlikely. Nintendo doesn't need to increase production at all to be over 40 million by the end of this year.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

I'd say Sony, even if FF13 and GT5 don't make it to the table (which is highly doubtful, particularly since in early-mid 07, Makers of FF13 said in an interview that FF13 was only 9% "finished" and VS was only 6%, read those figures however you like.), because PS3 has MGS4.

The fact that the 360 doesn't have a franchise as big as MGS4 out this year (that we know of) would give PS3 the head start this year. That's not to say that MGS4 will be the biggest selling title between the consoles, a new IP might beat it, but as of right now since we have no idea what's ahead, Sony looks to be the winner (but I would say only by a small margin).

PS3. It did 9m in 07 and will get another 11-13m in 08.

360 will sell less in 08 than it did in 07. The only reason it sold more in 07 vs 06 was due to Halo 3.

superchunk said:
PS3. It did 9m in 07 and will get another 11-13m in 08.

360 will sell less in 08 than it did in 07. The only reason it sold more in 07 vs 06 was due to Halo 3.

I like your predictions, but I can't agree with Halo 3 being the only reason the 360 did better in 07 compared to 06, but it certainly was one of the reasons.

As in go buy us some coffee.

http://speedhunters.com