By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How many PS3 games actually use the Blu Ray storage?

Even with the space differences between DVD9 and BD I don't see why Microsoft or yes even nintendo can't switch the firmware and use VMD(Versitile media disk) they use the same laser as DVD9 and hold 10GB per layer up to 10 layers with minimal to no quality loss..

Around the Network

Starcraft, of course such games are compressed except for streaming lossless 7.1 audio. Like a Motorstorm dev pointed out the Cell is well suited to decompress data faster than the extra time needed to read uncompressed data from disc, so this makes sense.

Uncharted provides technically amazing graphics, IMO unlike anything seen on the 360 so far. Yet Naughty Dog stated they are only scratching the surface of what's technically possible with future SPE enhanced game engines. Texture streaming like in Ratchet and UT3 will become more important to really push the PS3 to new levels. Insomniac states they know what to do to adapt their legacy engine to push the PS3 much further even, Epic states their engine is seeing fast improvements as time goes on and they think future 1080p UT3 engine based games is feasible on the PS3. The extra disc space will come in handy for streaming high quality textures.

I think Gran Turismo 5 and White Engine (built from the ground up for the PS3) based games will provide a good indication of what's possible to achieve.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Bladeneo said:

More storage allows developers to be lazy with other aspects of development like compression so they take the extra size for granted. It saves them money too I guess. I doubt we'll start seeing the effect of Blu-Ray's storage capacity in games for a while, but saying that Ubisoft did come out and say they struggled with the DVD storage for assassins creed...might come round and bite microsoft in the ass sooner than expected.

The developpers of PGR4 have also been limited in their ambitions by the DVD9 as for Bioware who had a hard time fitting Mass Effect on one disk (this is probably why most of the sidequest planets look the same)

souixan said:
Even with the space differences between DVD9 and BD I don't see why Microsoft or yes even nintendo can't switch the firmware and use VMD(Versitile media disk) they use the same laser as DVD9 and hold 10GB per layer up to 10 layers with minimal to no quality loss..

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Although I thought that the standard HD-VMD was 2 layers and clocked in at 20GB. If the 360 is capable of reading HD-VMD's via firmware it would be wise of MS to add support for the medium. Although the only games to really use more than one DVD thus far have had to do so because of the HD FMV on them. Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon have tons of HD FMV. The funny thing about Blue Dragon is that the FMV was really unnecessary as the difference between the game engine's visual quality and the visual quality of the FMV was minimal.

Side note: They can include the firmware upgrade on a readable section of the HD-VMD for those 360 owners that don't have a XBL connection.

thanks branko.
the only one who answered me :D

Around the Network

I understand why MS did X360 with DVD drive but that i don't understand why they didn't make HDD standard. DMC4 will use HDD(PS3). GTA4 maybe(PS3) and list goes on...

This is a great debate. The truth is that exclusives and first-party games on the PS3 use the space. However, since most third-party companies are favoring the XB360 for using existing technology (DVD). The DVD is what most developers have been coding for since 2000 when the PS2 was released. Sony also uses a complicated proprietary version of Java for BD discs. The bottom line is until the PS3 becomes the dominate console and third party companies are guaranteed to make their money back; only exclusive titles will use the full space on BD disc.

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

also Genji: Days of the Blade

Wii console: 0595 8808 5698 2709
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 1161 1357 5188

Mario Kart Wii: 1633 4506 4319

PES 2008: 1633 5820 0347

DragonBall Z BT 3: 3823 9760 9484

Pokemon Battle Revolution: 3480 2645 9186
Feel free to add me, and sent me a pm with your Friend Code!!

XGamer0611 said:
This is a great debate. The truth is that exclusives and first-party games on the PS3 use the space. However, since most third-party companies are favoring the XB360 for using existing technology (DVD). The DVD is what most developers have been coding for since 2000 when the PS2 was released. Sony also uses a complicated proprietary version of Java for BD discs. The bottom line is until the PS3 becomes the dominate console and third party companies are guaranteed to make their money back; only exclusive titles will use the full space on BD disc.

The Java you speak off is only for BD movies and their interactive content, it's not used for games at all unless of course the developers them selvs decide to you use it.

Darc Requiem said:
souixan said:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Although I thought that the standard HD-VMD was 2 layers and clocked in at 20GB. If the 360 is capable of reading HD-VMD's via firmware it would be wise of MS to add support for the medium. Although the only games to really use more than one DVD thus far have had to do so because of the HD FMV on them. Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon have tons of HD FMV. The funny thing about Blue Dragon is that the FMV was really unnecessary as the difference between the game engine's visual quality and the visual quality of the FMV was minimal.

Side note: They can include the firmware upgrade on a readable section of the HD-VMD for those 360 owners that don't have a XBL connection.

Yes standard but the theoretical max is 10 layers and the current max is 4 or 5...