By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How many PS3 games actually use the Blu Ray storage?

How many PS3 games use HD to get decent loading times ?

Yeah, I know, it's a troll. Sorry...

Around the Network

Microsoft really hurt the next gen consoles with the choice of staying with DVD and releasing an Xbox with no Hard drive. Multi platform games must support this and the PS3 will suffer as a result. So most games wont make use of the extra space of the BD unless the PS3 pulls out in a dominate position which is anybody;s guess if it will or not.

Demac said:
Microsoft really hurt the next gen consoles with the choice of staying with DVD and releasing an Xbox with no Hard drive. Multi platform games must support this and the PS3 will suffer as a result. So most games wont make use of the extra space of the BD unless the PS3 pulls out in a dominate position which is anybody;s guess if it will or not.

Hurt? Are you kidding? The only multi-DVD game released so far this gen, that I know of, is Blue Dragon, and that's a cutscene- and speech-laden RPG. Not to mention the fact that including a built-in HD-DVD drive and standard hard drive would have made the 360 at least as expensive as the PS3 for its cheapest model.

Uncompressed 7.1 audio is nice, but for the 99.9% of us who don't have a speaker system that can handle it, regular Dolby 5.1 compressed audio works just fine - and it saves all of us money to boot.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Lost Odyssey uses 4 DVDs, Xenosaga II also came on two DVDs. They are out there.

@Cryoakira, Uncharted actually didn't use the HDD. But yeah, there were no load times.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

@GreyAcumen:

Several games have used multiple DVDs, this gen and last gen. Both God of War games did, Blue Dragon does, Lost Oddysey, and there are probably several more.

Around the Network

Well Uncharted was about 24GB from what I read before its release, most exclusive games will take advantage cause its easier for the developer to leave things uncompressed I suppose.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

More developers should start using this space. They have 50 gigabytes to work with, they shouldn't settle for 9 gigs. They could theoretically make a game over 5 times longer on PS3.

i was under the impression that when 360 games used more than 1 dvd, the extra dvds were installed on the harddrive, and there was only 1 disc that was used to play the game throughout. is that right?

cause if thats the case, then theres really no limit to how big games can get on the 360 and ps3, as they both have harddrives. therefore the extra space on bluray discs doesnt matter in the slightest. but i may be wrong.

coolestguyever said:
More developers should start using this space. They have 50 gigabytes to work with, they shouldn't settle for 9 gigs. They could theoretically make a game over 5 times longer on PS3.

Is that why PS3 games have gotten a lot of flak for having some of the SHORTEST high production games so far this generation?  

Storage space is not what determines game length, development budget is.  Creating all that extra content for a 5x longer game will cause company to go bankrupt even faster than most of them are now.   

@darconi

I agree,

50gigs of data and a 7 hour game wtf? Its ridculus.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M