By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dark Souls early reviews are in -UPDATED 10/4/11- with vids!!

Tagged games:

blkfish92 said:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/119/1197278p1.html

IGN review's up!!

Rating Description
out of 10 Click here for ratings guide
9.5 Presentation
The creature and environment design is incomparable, confidently spanning the extremes between disgusting, horrific, majestic and desolately beautiful.
9.0 Graphics
Occasional slow-down in busy areas is not enough to take the sheen off this world.
9.5 Sound
Dark Souls' sound design is astounding, from the beating of mighty wings to the atmospheric drip-drip-drip of a dank sewer.
9.0 Gameplay
Tight, exciting combat is a the core of brutally fair design that only occasionally crosses the line.
9.5 Lasting Appeal
There are at least 60 hours in the first playthrough, with plenty more in exploration and experimentation.
OVERALL
Amazing
(out of 10)

That should have been 9.5 not 9 :p , excellent score and review nonetheless .

" this is one of the most thrilling, most fascinating and most completely absorbing experiences in gaming."

Around the Network
VXIII said:
blkfish92 said:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/119/1197278p1.html

IGN review's up!!

Rating Description
out of 10 Click here for ratings guide
9.5 Presentation
The creature and environment design is incomparable, confidently spanning the extremes between disgusting, horrific, majestic and desolately beautiful.
9.0 Graphics
Occasional slow-down in busy areas is not enough to take the sheen off this world.
9.5 Sound
Dark Souls' sound design is astounding, from the beating of mighty wings to the atmospheric drip-drip-drip of a dank sewer.
9.0 Gameplay
Tight, exciting combat is a the core of brutally fair design that only occasionally crosses the line.
9.5 Lasting Appeal
There are at least 60 hours in the first playthrough, with plenty more in exploration and experimentation.
OVERALL
Amazing
(out of 10)

That should have been 9.5 not 9 :p , excellent score and review nonetheless .

" this is one of the most thrilling, most fascinating and most completely absorbing experiences in gaming."

Ya IGN doesn't average their scores for some reason, but still a score to be proud of =D

The gamespot review is out, refer to first post for link!!

May be shocked by score....

So I'm curious. This has nothing to do with the reviews but I didn't want to make a thread for it-- if you preordered Dark Souls do you automatically get the collector's edition?

Because I preordered the regular edition from Amazon months ago and got the collector's edition today. Nice little surprise.

Now I have to hurry up and finish Dead Island so I can play this.

So in the collectors edition is there a guide book made of paper or is the guide a PDF file?

Around the Network

I must say I think watching videos of Dark Souls wll take something special away from the experience. I don't blame anyone though.

twesterm said:
So I'm curious. This has nothing to do with the reviews but I didn't want to make a thread for it-- if you preordered Dark Souls do you automatically get the collector's edition?

Because I preordered the regular edition from Amazon months ago and got the collector's edition today. Nice little surprise.

Now I have to hurry up and finish Dead Island so I can play this.

Yes, you get boosted up to the collector's edition once you preordered, unless they state otherwise.

Slimebeast said:
So in the collectors edition is there a guide book made of paper or is the guide a PDF file?

Everything's digital except artbook and the metal casing is badass!

90 % Meta now on both platforms, yes!!! Based on how fantastic Demon Souls was it deserves 95% in my opinion though.

Now to only sell those 2 million copies, or preferably even more.

Dr.Grass said:
I must say I think watching videos of Dark Souls wll take something special away from the experience. I don't blame anyone though.

I've been constantly tempted to watch Dark Souls videos, but I have fortunately been able to refrain this whole time (the only video I watched was the debut trailer).  What made Demon's Souls so great was the fear of not knowing what to expect as you first explored an area, as well as the feeling of triumph when you defeat a boss.

Slimebeast said:
90 % Meta now on both platforms, yes!!! Based on how fantastic Demon Souls was it deserves 95% in my opinion though.

Now to only sell those 2 million copies, or preferably even more.

I'm hoping more 360 users try it out, although Dark Souls is being sandwiched between the releases of Gears of War 3 and Forza 4.