By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Sony handheld gaming's last hope?

Well before I start this thread I'll make one thing clear I think Nintendo's 3DS and Vita can both be successful even if they don't achieve sales similar to that achieved by PSP and DS. However share holders at Nintendo have been on a rampage saying that the market for a handheld gaming dedicated platform are over and that smart phones are the way to go.

3DS sales of software are so low that developers are bailing fast and despite the price cut hardware sales remain inferior to platforms released five years ago. Investors at Nintendo are trying desperately to convince Nintendo to drop handheld gaming saying that handheld gaming is dead and Smart Phones are taking over. To make matters worse after Monster Hunter 4 was announced for 3DS Capcom share holders freaked and shares dropped by a big margin. Showing that Nintendo's share holders aren't the only ones that think handheld gaming is going to the smart phones.

All the newspapers and magazines and websites are reporting that the age of gaming dedicated handheld's is over, something I disagree with but they sway a lot of investors.

So that leaves Sony, the Vita has a lot of developer support and is seen as the next big gaming handheld. With a similar price to 3DS at launch and more software support. It would appear Sony is handheld gaming's last hope, if Vita goes down in flames or under performs selling units at a similar rate to 3DS investors will see the handheld industry as dead.

If investors aren't convinced their is a market for handheld game devices it could be the end of Vita and 3DS. The whole handheld market could be at stake. Even if Nintendo and Sony were to stay the course and maintain support for their platforms what about third parties? Capcom trying to maintain support is facing huge back lash from their share holders. UbiSoft cut 3DS support in a major way and third parties are backing away.

If developers drop there support for 3DS and Vita that could spell the end for handheld gaming devices.

Can Sony sell enough Vita's and software to assure share holders in not only Sony but third parties that there is still a market for handheld's? This is Sony's chance to shine and take the throne from Nintendo as well as save the handheld industry from collapse. Because if Sony can prove there is still a market for handheld games devices they not only can save themselves but Nintendo and other third party handheld developers in the process.

Does Sony have what it takes to prove all those analysts and media outlets wrong? Is there still a huge viable market for handheld gaming devices? If Nintendo couldn't succeed that leaves only one company to prove that handheld gaming is alive and well and that hero is Sony!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

I'm sorry but that was a bit too long for me to finish reading but my response will be the same

PSV + 3DS = handheld gaming's hope for core fans like us

to others
most probably smart phones and such

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

I don't know if Vita is the last hope for handheld gaming, but I do hope both 3DS and Vita still successful enough to prove that dedicated handheld gaming is still alive and kicking....

I love smartphone gaming too especially just for quick play, but, in my experience, they can't replace handheld gaming games, at least, not for me.....

M.U.G.E.N said:
I'm sorry but that was a bit too long for me to finish reading but my response will be the same

PSV + 3DS = handheld gaming's hope for core fans like us

to others
most probably smart phones and such

This. and please Joelcool 7, don't count the 3ds out just yet. The games that are coming for it look painfully good, especially in japan.  

For the love of God put a 's in your thread title somewhere!

EDIT: thanks

Around the Network

Thread title could have been worded better.

Anyway, I see your point. But I don't think the handheld industry is in the position that analyst make it out to.

Sure the 3DS is showing very low sales. Any console with a rather high price tag and low software support will obviously have low sales. Even if smart phones weren't big right now, the 3DS would still have dissapointing sales. It's simply not a viable console at this point in time. If the 3DS is still having low sales even when it gets a slew major games, then we can talk about the state of the industry.

Fortunately for Nintendo & the industry, I don't see that happening. Once the 3DS gets a steady stream of major games, then sales will increase and put up worthy numbers.

Well, I think there will be a market for higher quality portable titles. As in not 99 cent ones. (not saying 99 cent ones can't be good, just the standards of acceptable is generally lower)

The iphone has some Like Chaos Rings, and Chaos Rings 2, Angry Birds, and probably others I don't know about. That are comparable with some of the better handheld games.

I do think, phones can/are really damaging nintendo and sony's handheld market. Because of the people that just want something to fiddle on the plane, etc. My little cousin uses his dad's iphone to game with because it has games he likes on it, and his dad doesn't have to spend extra money on a portable device.
They have a game system at home. So the want for a dedicated portable gaming device is lessened significantly.

But the 3DS, launch was bungled like the PS3's (which is doing fine now), if when say pokemon comes out, and that can't sell. Then there is serious problem for nintendo.

Jay520 said:

Anyway, I see your point. But I don't think the handheld industry is in the position that analyst make it out to.

Sure the 3DS is showing very low sales. Any console with a rather high price tag and low software support will obviously have low sales. Even if smart phones weren't big right now, the 3DS would still have dissapointing sales. It's simply not a viable console at this point in time. If the 3DS is still having low sales even when it gets a slew major games, then we can talk about the state of the industry.

Fortunately for Nintendo & the industry, I don't see that happening. Once the 3DS gets a steady stream of major games, then sales will increase and put up worthy numbers.

I agree I don't think the handheld industry is in the position analysts make it out to be. I think that 3DS could really revive with some good software and such.

However we live in a world where investors control the companies. I don't need to be convinced they do.

I don't think that Nintendo can convince investors that handheld gaming is viable if 3DS fails to generate reasonable profit. I can't see much software coming to 3DS if software sales continue to do so poorly either, look at Capcom within hours of announcing MH4 for 3DS their shares fell by over 8% , Square after their 3DS announcement dropped by over 3%. Nintendo's shares dropped by over 5%.

Share holders have lost faith in the 3DS and handheld gaming. If Sony's Vita fails to generate sufficient profit I could see their share holders also loosing faith. Even if both 3DS and PSVita are viable platforms that are capable of surviving, without share holder support both platforms will have a very hard time surviving.

If share holders from not only Nintendo and Sony but all the third parties loose faith in handheld gaming. Then handheld gaming as we know it will struggle to exist. There is immense pressure from shareholders for Nintendo to start supporting iOS and Android devices and dropping their support for 3DS. If Sony gets the same treatment and PSVita doesn't fly off the shelves the whole industry will be in real trouble.

In other words if Vita succeeds it will prove to share holders that the market still exists. Thus saving the handheld industry, obviously Nintendo's ability to prove this has fallen short. If Vita tanks share holders will assume there is no market and Vita and 3DS will be in for a hell of a ride!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Joelcool7 said:
Jay520 said:

I agree I don't think the handheld industry is in the position analysts make it out to be. I think that 3DS could really revive with some good software and such.

However we live in a world where investors control the companies. I don't need to be convinced they do.

I don't think that Nintendo can convince investors that handheld gaming is viable if 3DS fails to generate reasonable profit. I can't see much software coming to 3DS if software sales continue to do so poorly either, look at Capcom within hours of announcing MH4 for 3DS their shares fell by over 8% , Square after their 3DS announcement dropped by over 3%. Nintendo's shares dropped by over 5%.

Share holders have lost faith in the 3DS and handheld gaming. If Sony's Vita fails to generate sufficient profit I could see their share holders also loosing faith. Even if both 3DS and PSVita are viable platforms that are capable of surviving, without share holder support both platforms will have a very hard time surviving.

If share holders from not only Nintendo and Sony but all the third parties loose faith in handheld gaming. Then handheld gaming as we know it will struggle to exist. There is immense pressure from shareholders for Nintendo to start supporting iOS and Android devices and dropping their support for 3DS. If Sony gets the same treatment and PSVita doesn't fly off the shelves the whole industry will be in real trouble.

In other words if Vita succeeds it will prove to share holders that the market still exists. Thus saving the handheld industry, obviously Nintendo's ability to prove this has fallen short. If Vita tanks share holders will assume there is no market and Vita and 3DS will be in for a hell of a ride!

True, investers do appear to have lost confidnce, but I still think investers will give the 3DS one last chance this holiday when the big sellers like Mario Kart & Super Mario are released. If the 3DS sales are STILL low, then I agree, investers will begin to lose any remaining confidence leaving the Vita to have a lot of weight on it's shoulders.

Sony, Nintendo, SE, EA, Activision etc will always find a way to make handheld games which they can charge $30, $40, $50 etc for. Whether that be on dedicated handheld platforms like the PSV / 3DS, on the phone / tablet market or something else in the future remains to be seen.

They're both fighting off something which will always eat into their market though. I don't think phones are going to completely swallow both the PSV and 3DS, afterall we wouldn't suggest the same thing happening to consoles too even though phones play games. But dedicated gaming handhelds are definitely going to see some of their exsisting market lost to other devices.