By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - I'm not against CG and 3D, but enough is enough!

Just watched an ad for a "3D white" toothpaste! Seriously? I'm almost surprised that when the buzzwords were "compatible" or "multimedia" they didn't make, say, "compatible spaghetti" or "multimedial hamburger". What has this to do with movies? Watching that ad I got angrier against the latest abomination: The Smurfs 3D. I'm not against computer graphics, I love original one, and in many sci-fi and fantasy movies it just rocks, but what was born as comics and cartoons must stay that way, computer graphics versions are always, at best just more or less worse than the originals, at worst pure unadulterated shit, like that computer graphics Garfield crap!!! And like this new Smurfs crap, I never was a big Smurfs fan, but compared to what I saw in the trailers, the original cartoons look to me like masterpieces. The worst offenders in cartoons turned into CG are the eyes, CG is good to make evil and/or not antropomorphic eyes (Sauron, just to make an example), just not good enough yet, but not terrible, for realistic human eyes (Final Fantasy movie) and utter crap for "cartoony" eyes, they look like dull, bloated and uncannily bulging billiard balls, and the attempt made for Papa Smurf and Smurfette to make their eyes look less spherical, working on eyelids and irides, produced an awful result, not smurf-like, languid and even duller than the old dreaded "billiard balls".

/End rant

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

A big problem about 3D eyes in cartoons is also that often humour comics and cartoons characters have simple faces with no eye sockets, on such faces a 2D drawn round eye is fine for the humour effect, but a 3D eye will always bulge out too much, like crab and lobster eyes.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I'm sick of 3D.

I like watching "talkies" in glorious 2D.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

I have to agree with amp, I'm totally sick of the whole 3D thing. They are trying to push an industry on us that, to be quite frank, a lot of people really don't want to get into.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

I feel the same about the new monkey island and sam and max games. They look horrible compared to the 2D games. 3D pretty much killed the adventure game genre for me.

It's not bad for original cartoons, Pixar movies are pretty good actually. But human characters are still better in 2D, Princess and the frog was 10 time better then Tangled 3D.
Studio Ghibli cartoons are the best imo and their characters are all 2D.

3D has a place, Coraline was pretty neat in 3D. There it really suits the miniature world. It doesn't work as well for me for live action movies. It makes everything look small.