By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN : " The Nintendo 3DS Must Relaunch "

Mr Khan said:
SpartenOmega117 said:
UncleScrooge said:
I've said this in another thread already: If they intend to add a second stick they will announce a 3DS Lite right at the press conference next week. They are not going to wait any longer.

It'll be either that or (as pointed out above) Nintendo will force all games to have a one-pad optional control scheme.

There's only two ways: Completely relaunch the platform or make sure the second pad is always just an option. Guess we'll know more in about 48 hours.

if nintendo is going to announce a new 3ds it will likely come out this holiday to with vita. if the new 3ds is not coming this holiday then there is no way in hell that nintendo will announce it in 48 hours because then then will basically shooting themselves in the foot.

I think nintendo is in an awkward situation. If more and more devs will start requing the second analog add on then nintendo basically has to release a model that has the second analog built in. but if nintendo does not release a new model then people will  still not buy th ecurrent 3ds because people will be expecting a new model. honestly i think nintendo should have just sat back and watched the sales increase with the price cut. now once again they are screwed.

Easily solved by Nintendo telling developers that they have to include an option for single-pad play. Much like how there are no Wii games that require the Classic Controller (outside of VC title

but that will also cause problems because its abvious the games will play better with a second analog stick. and what about aonline play? will there be seperate lobbies for people who have and sont have the analog add on? this will basically spereate the userbase. the more and more i think about it he more i think that if this analog add on will be really that big of a deal as in most games will take advantage of it then nintendo should just do a relaunch or just send everyone who bought the original 3ds a new one or send them the add on. but thats it the add on is not limited to monster hunter tri g

Around the Network

Let's take a walk down memory lane.

N64: Certain games offered Expansion Pak support to improve the graphics. To my knowledge, the games that did benefit from the Expansion Pak still worked to some degree without it (like Perfect Dark).

Gameboy Color: Certain games had enhanced color palettes for the GBC but still worked on the old 1989 Gameboy (some games did only work on the GBC, though).

Nintendo DS: With the upgrade from DS to DSi, any game that needed to use the GBA port (Metroid Pinball) lost a bit of funtionality. At the same time, DSi specific software was introduced and simply could not be used without the upgrade in hardware.

So it's not entirely unheard of for Nintendo to add or remove features from their hardware. The times that they did were met with little or no backlash. As others in this thread have pointed out, while the PS1 went from no analogs to two analogs and rumble, there wasn't a problem because every single game (except Ape Escape) still functioned with the standard controller. When the Sega Genesis went from a 3 button setup to a six button setup, there was no backlash because all of the games (like Street Fighter) still had a 3 button setup. If Nintendo DOES go with a dual analog setup on the 3DS, rest assured that most games will still work just fine with the standard 3DS.

As the owner of six DS's (3 phats, two lites, and a DSi), I know full well that Nintendo isn't afraid to re-release a better version of their portable systems. Hell, it was the DS Lite that made the DS brand really take off. But look at the Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Light, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Gameboy Advance SP, Gameboy Advance Micro, Nintendo DS, DS Lite, DSi, and DSi XL and tell me if the possibility of a redesign of the current 3DS surprises anybody. It's never been the end of the world--in fact, it's been the opposite. If there is a new version, it won't alienate us early adopters. it'll just piss us off that we don't have the best version anymore.

Goddam, I can type fast, tonight. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dogs. The rain in spain falls mainly on the plains. Since I'm in a position to talk to these kids and they listen Im not a politician but I kick it with em a minute cause see they call me a minute and if the shoe fitss I wear it but it yall can't then yall can swall o the truth grin and bear now who's the king of these rude ludicrous lucrative lyrics? Who can inherit the title to put the youth in hysterics using his view sna his merits using his music to steer it

SpartenOmega117 said:
Mr Khan said:
SpartenOmega117 said:
UncleScrooge said:
I've said this in another thread already: If they intend to add a second stick they will announce a 3DS Lite right at the press conference next week. They are not going to wait any longer.

It'll be either that or (as pointed out above) Nintendo will force all games to have a one-pad optional control scheme.

There's only two ways: Completely relaunch the platform or make sure the second pad is always just an option. Guess we'll know more in about 48 hours.

if nintendo is going to announce a new 3ds it will likely come out this holiday to with vita. if the new 3ds is not coming this holiday then there is no way in hell that nintendo will announce it in 48 hours because then then will basically shooting themselves in the foot.

I think nintendo is in an awkward situation. If more and more devs will start requing the second analog add on then nintendo basically has to release a model that has the second analog built in. but if nintendo does not release a new model then people will  still not buy th ecurrent 3ds because people will be expecting a new model. honestly i think nintendo should have just sat back and watched the sales increase with the price cut. now once again they are screwed.

Easily solved by Nintendo telling developers that they have to include an option for single-pad play. Much like how there are no Wii games that require the Classic Controller (outside of VC title

but that will also cause problems because its abvious the games will play better with a second analog stick. and what about aonline play? will there be seperate lobbies for people who have and sont have the analog add on? this will basically spereate the userbase. the more and more i think about it he more i think that if this analog add on will be really that big of a deal as in most games will take advantage of it then nintendo should just do a relaunch or just send everyone who bought the original 3ds a new one or send them the add on. but thats it the add on is not limited to monster hunter tri g

Were there seperate lobbies for Classic Controller or GameCube controller in Mario Kart Wii? Would Nintendo even bother with separate lobbies?

Non-issues abound. Dual Analogue is not some sort of godsend control scheme that makes everything better, and this is a non-issue

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

If the second nub is required for certain games, then yes.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Mr Khan said:

Were there seperate lobbies for Classic Controller or GameCube controller in Mario Kart Wii? Would Nintendo even bother with separate lobbies?

Non-issues abound. Dual Analogue is not some sort of godsend control scheme that makes everything better, and this is a non-issue

You know, I was never once able to get Super Smash Bros. to work online.  Not once!  I did have a blast with Mario Kart and that game didn't split Wii Wheel users from Nunchuck users or Classic controller users.  It was every man for himself!  Then again, I use a Street Fighter fight pad on the 360 when I play SF4 and I'm sure I go toe to toe with people that use standard controllers and joysticks.  It's all good.

Around the Network

Actually a Re-launch doesn't sound so bad. I point you to Sony's PS3. They kinda re-launched it with the slim version. New design, new price point, some new games, new logo but no added functionality..in fact, the even removed linux support. But since the slim's release, the PS3 has been doing good.

And about the second analog knub, I now point you to move. Many games have move support but is only optional. Sure, it gives new experiences in playing games but its not really required for many of the move supported games.

So yeah, if and when Nintendo does launch the 3Ds and if it does get a second stick, chances are that it wont really hurt existing owners as more likely than not, there will be a control option for both hardwares.

Am I the only one that thinks that, even with that ugly add on, the DS will still be smaller than the PSV?

6 mil shipment not even an holiday season or a great new catchy game and everyone still call it a flop.

I wish i could produce such a flop myself.

Wait tomorrow and see the reaction of the IGN losers!

Switch!!!

d21lewis said:
Let's take a walk down memory lane.

N64: Certain games offered Expansion Pak support to improve the graphics. To my knowledge, the games that did benefit from the Expansion Pak still worked to some degree without it (like Perfect Dark).

Gameboy Color: Certain games had enhanced color palettes for the GBC but still worked on the old 1989 Gameboy (some games did only work on the GBC, though).

Nintendo DS: With the upgrade from DS to DSi, any game that needed to use the GBA port (Metroid Pinball) lost a bit of funtionality. At the same time, DSi specific software was introduced and simply could not be used without the upgrade in hardware.

So it's not entirely unheard of for Nintendo to add or remove features from their hardware. The times that they did were met with little or no backlash. As others in this thread have pointed out, while the PS1 went from no analogs to two analogs and rumble, there wasn't a problem because every single game (except Ape Escape) still functioned with the standard controller. When the Sega Genesis went from a 3 button setup to a six button setup, there was no backlash because all of the games (like Street Fighter) still had a 3 button setup. If Nintendo DOES go with a dual analog setup on the 3DS, rest assured that most games will still work just fine with the standard 3DS.

As the owner of six DS's (3 phats, two lites, and a DSi), I know full well that Nintendo isn't afraid to re-release a better version of their portable systems. Hell, it was the DS Lite that made the DS brand really take off. But look at the Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Light, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Gameboy Advance SP, Gameboy Advance Micro, Nintendo DS, DS Lite, DSi, and DSi XL and tell me if the possibility of a redesign of the current 3DS surprises anybody. It's never been the end of the world--in fact, it's been the opposite. If there is a new version, it won't alienate us early adopters. it'll just piss us off that we don't have the best version anymore.

Goddam, I can type fast, tonight. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dogs. The rain in spain falls mainly on the plains. Since I'm in a position to talk to these kids and they listen Im not a politician but I kick it with em a minute cause see they call me a minute and if the shoe fitss I wear it but it yall can't then yall can swall o the truth grin and bear now who's the king of these rude ludicrous lucrative lyrics? Who can inherit the title to put the youth in hysterics using his view sna his merits using his music to steer it

This is a really good post.

Honestly, as long as the second stick is totally optional they could do it. Say with the 3DS Lite you get an optional camera control and the L2/R2 buttons are being used for quicker menu access. 

Well... we should know more about the purpose of this peripheral in some hours so no need to get emotionally invested into this at this point. Let's lean back and watch that conference... and then enter the forums again, filled with hatred and rage. Or something.