By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN : " The Nintendo 3DS Must Relaunch "

"I will keep bashing this thing until the great games come out then I'll shut my mouth."

Around the Network

I've said this in another thread already: If they intend to add a second stick they will announce a 3DS Lite right at the press conference next week. They are not going to wait any longer.

It'll be either that or (as pointed out above) Nintendo will force all games to have a one-pad optional control scheme.

There's only two ways: Completely relaunch the platform or make sure the second pad is always just an option. Guess we'll know more in about 48 hours.

menx64 said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:
radishhead said:
Am I the only one who doesn't think that a second circle pad is important at all?

you are not...

especially with the touch screen and the motion controls of the 3DS.... I don't understand what all the fuss about the second pad is

yep, I agree as well. 

You all are wrong, and Neville a second circle pad is important. You all mention motion controls and the touch screen, but that whole concept is flawed. Using them isn't ideal for many games and can become a hassle.Trying to move with the circle pad while touching the screen can be frustrating. Motion sensing isn't as effective because you will have to constantly move yourself to move the camera. Adding a circle pad is much more effective way. Many games now function with 2 analag sticks for a reason. Nintendo has realized this especially since developers complain.

OMG, I'm really starting to get sick of this. Seriously, I'm not exactly the biggest Nintendo fan out there, but the criticism they're getting for nothing (or at least the wrong reasons) is too much.

I mean, when investors do it at least you have the excuse that many of them really don't know about how the videogame business works, they mix it with other areas of economics. But IGN?

Yes, the 3DS was too expensive, that was a justified criticism and that's solved now. Now it needs good games that appeal to people and a good holiday campaign. That's it. Relaunching would be a disaster, redesigning would be a disaster (that would be a proper criticism).

Why the hell do you need a second stick? How many PSX games used it? Did N64 use it? Has any handheld or smartphone (since they talk about it so much) used it? Even PSP is gonna sell over 70 million and we know it had a shitty line up of games until late in its life.

Ugh, I swear this overraction is so annoying. And this comes from someone who hasn't owned a Nintendo home console since N64.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

What I wan't to know is why a secondary stick is suddenly mandatory. I mean what the hell, I've played DS and PSP games for years just fine without a second stick. Why is a second stick suddenly the make or break? Is every developer suddenly going to start making games for 3DS that absolutely require another stick to play or what? Someone please throw me a bone here, because I am not seeing the sense in Nintendo suddenly going Oh shit! That's what we need to secure the 3DS' future, a second stick! Quickly, manufacture 3DS' with a second circle pad and replace all the current models available before it's too late!

How technical is your game?

Around the Network

So Nintendo's initial problem was the software ... but instead they're working on the hardware?

Kind of reminds me of the GameCube days where Nintendo was too worried about keeping up with the PS2 and forgot about their fans.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

I haven't read the thread or the article (I will in a few minutes) but I think that listening to the internet and and the vocal minority is a surefire way for Nintendo to end up doomed. Most people could give a fuck less about a second d-pad, or some of the other things we've heard complaints about. They just want good games on reliable hardware. I think the 3DS in its current form is already that platform.

Damn, I wish that circle pad peripheral was never announced. Things were looking great after the price cut. Now, it's "doomed" again.

Hit bait.

I'm actually tired of 3DS related opinion pieces right now.

Pixel Art can be fun.

UncleScrooge said:
I've said this in another thread already: If they intend to add a second stick they will announce a 3DS Lite right at the press conference next week. They are not going to wait any longer.

It'll be either that or (as pointed out above) Nintendo will force all games to have a one-pad optional control scheme.

There's only two ways: Completely relaunch the platform or make sure the second pad is always just an option. Guess we'll know more in about 48 hours.

if nintendo is going to announce a new 3ds it will likely come out this holiday to with vita. if the new 3ds is not coming this holiday then there is no way in hell that nintendo will announce it in 48 hours because then then will basically shooting themselves in the foot.

I think nintendo is in an awkward situation. If more and more devs will start requing the second analog add on then nintendo basically has to release a model that has the second analog built in. but if nintendo does not release a new model then people will  still not buy th ecurrent 3ds because people will be expecting a new model. honestly i think nintendo should have just sat back and watched the sales increase with the price cut. now once again they are screwed.

SpartenOmega117 said:
UncleScrooge said:

if nintendo is going to announce a new 3ds it will likely come out this holiday to with vita. if the new 3ds is not coming this holiday then there is no way in hell that nintendo will announce it in 48 hours because then then will basically shooting themselves in the foot.

I think nintendo is in an awkward situation. If more and more devs will start requing the second analog add on then nintendo basically has to release a model that has the second analog built in. but if nintendo does not release a new model then people will  still not buy th ecurrent 3ds because people will be expecting a new model. honestly i think nintendo should have just sat back and watched the sales increase with the price cut. now once again they are screwed.

Easily solved by Nintendo telling developers that they have to include an option for single-pad play. Much like how there are no Wii games that require the Classic Controller (outside of VC titles)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.