By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - 910,000 PS3s in Europe? I don't think so...

Edit: My problem solved. I overlooked non-European countries in the "other" section. And challenging what seemed to be an 11.3% inaccuracy isn't making a mountain out of a molehill, lol.

Here's a post of mine from GAF, slightly edited...

Post-launch analysis; comes free with reality check for Sales-Age stakeholders.

Well, if UK has been consistent in how much of the European PlayStation 3 hardware market it holds, then...

The 165,000 sold in the UK opening is 27.5% of 600,000 sold in European (inc UK) sold in opening week.

Week 1: 165,000
Week 2: 29,700 (82% drop off from opening week)
Week 3: 17,000 (leaked figure)
Week 4: 8,300 (200,000 for Europe in weeks after lanuch, 55,000 for UK, then subtact week 2 and 3)

Hmm... I'm under the opinion that this number is incorrect and Howard's 800,000 was up to the end of week 3. This would mean that the extra 30,000 are from either Howard rounding up, him guessing at about how many more PS3s have been sold since then, or UK taking up less than 27.5% of the European PS3 hardware market, post-launch.

I'm prepared to throw the 8,300 number out of the window and then estimate last week's hardware through the trend of PS3 sales. Week 3 saw a 57..% drop off. At that current rate of drop-off, the PS3 would drop 39.8% in week 4. Giving week 4 sales of 10,236. And if at the 27.5% of European PS3 hardware sold in UK, that's 37,221 for whole of Europe per week.

Just for fun, let's see what the PS3's future in Europe if it continues at the current rate. Where's it's declining, but that rate of decline is... declining; the rate of decline of decline is 30.2% each week.

Week 1: 600,000
Week 2: 108,000
Week 3: 61,818
Week 4: 37,221
Week 5: 26,841 (This very week)
Week 6: 21,616
Week 7: 18,679
Week 8: 16,908
Week 9: 15,788
Week 10: 15,059

Hmm, where have I seen these kind of PS3 sales figures before? *thinks long and hard* (Only kidding) Let's hope the decline of the rate of decline of PS3 sales week-on-week... declines.

By my calculations 807,000 PS3s were sold by the end of week 4, about when you last updated (at the time of writing).

Your figure, ioi, is 100,000 over that.

This could mean that there are reasons to believe Chart track under tracks the amount of PS3s sold in Europe by about 11.3%, or that after the launch period, UK was significantly less than 27.5% of the European PS3 hardware market, or it could be a combination of the these two possibilities.

If either/both of my possible explanations are the actual reasons for the 910,000 figure, then could you please tell me how this belief/these beliefs came about. If not, what are the reasons for such a significant difference between my and the figure on this website? What have I overlooked?

Around the Network

Great Post!

your week 4 number (8300) seems to be in line with Chart-Tracks own data: about 6800 copies of Motorstorm sold that week, and that was the highest selling PS3 game. Given the tie ratio for the console, that 8300 seems pretty spot on.

BTW: the 910 000 on this site is not Europe but OTHERS, thats ALL pal territories, Including Australia, Africa and so on, so all the other 100 000 comes from there. i think its a pretty good approximation.

Yeah, any country outside of Japan, and countries in the americas are put in others.  100k easy.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

I think you should crawl back into your anti-sony pit mate , actual sales for this week were slighty over 14k so your a wee bit out . Christ will this anti sony nonsense stop how much is Bill Gates paying these morons .

Proud owner of Ps4/3ds xl/pc/vita/wii u and others.

Gamer till I die

14k? got some official chart-track data, or how do you know that?

Around the Network

Thats for me to know , as for Motorstorm im sure most folk who wanted it already do . I think the ps3 will settle at about 12k a week until chrimbo and then hit 25k + . If they cut the price to £299 well thats a very different kettle of fish easily 50-100k wk pre xmas .

Gamer till I die

oh, so you know and thats it well thats exactly as credible as Parl's post.

by the way, you say who wanted motorstorm already have it. so half those 14k new consoles sold last week were sold without a game at all? very interesting to say at least.

my bet goes to the below 10k figure. 

tex2d said:

oh, so you know and thats it well thats exactly as credible as Parl's post.

by the way, you say who wanted motorstorm already have it. so half those 14k new consoles sold last week were sold without a game at all? very interesting to say at least.

my bet goes to the below 10k figure. 

Erm wasnt resistance just behind it in the charts or have your anti sony glasses blocked it out . I bet new owners either bought one or two games its very expensive unless your very rich ive only four games cant afford anymore till oblivion . Last game i bought for my wii was wii play again its too expensive to buy loads of games and i bet you any money the number one game sales arent overly brilliant considering the great weather here .

Gamer till I die

i totally agree.  Unless another game is released to replace Motorstorm, the tie ratio is basically gonna stay the same. 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

tex2d said:

Great Post!

your week 4 number (8300) seems to be in line with Chart-Tracks own data: about 6800 copies of Motorstorm sold that week, and that was the highest selling PS3 game. Given the tie ratio for the console, that 8300 seems pretty spot on.

BTW: the 910 000 on this site is not Europe but OTHERS, thats ALL pal territories, Including Australia, Africa and so on, so all the other 100 000 comes from there. i think its a pretty good approximation.

Good point. I forgot about the non-European territories in the "others" part. Thanks. My faith of the integrity of VGChartz's estimations is restored. However, Europe consists of UK, Germany, France, Spain and a gazillion other countries that all together should sell more than just 8 times more than non-European "other" regions, IMHO.

I disregarded my 8,300 number as that was enitrely based on Sony boss's recent statements of European PS3 hardware sales, which was later confirmed to me to mean "approaching 800,000" rather than being "around 800,000". The PS3 would've had to have sold ridiculously low, much less than even 8,300 for it to be that. So that number is not credible at all, IMHO.

We know it sold 600,000 first week and 108,000 second week and 17,000 third week in UK. Judging by opening week of 27.5% of European PS3 hardware market being UK, PS3 sold around 61,818 in week 3.