By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Multiplayer vs. Single-player

Which is more important to you?

Single-player 20 76.92%

Multiplayer 2 7.69%

See results 4 15.38%

Total:26

I just read the Resistance 3 review on Eurogamer.net and read some of the comments about how the sp component of a game is more important than the mp...for me its true.

This made me think about me and my friend. Hes a mp kinda guy, and im more sp. A good example of this is when he bought FEAR 3 end of last month and i recently bought deus ex: Human revolution. We obviously not able to buy both...actually  i can but just have zero interest in Fear 3 :P He couldnt though and im sure if he could he probably would have gotten deus ex as well, im sure hel get it soon anyways.

Point is he saw greater value in fear because of its mp, he has quite a bit of friends on hes psn list, and they told him its a fun mp so he got it. He tends to prefer a game with a mp component and if it doesnt have it then hes hesistant. Me on the other hand.....lets just say i wont buy a game solely for its mp but i will for sp (unless its Hon or dota etc.).

So, in general, which type is more important to you when choosing what to buy?

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network

i was thinking about having a third option of "Must have both" but then everyone would just choose that...i mean its obvious if you could have both then there's no need to choose really. Which is not the point of the thread :)

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

For me it's Single Player. No multiplayer will make me weep like a baby like the Crisis Core story did. Or make me drop my jaw to the floor like Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain, Twilight Princess and many other games did. Moments like that are what put SP over MP for me. And I have a question for those people that only play games for the MP: What did you do the previous Generations? Where there was no Online MP.

dunno001:

"Needless to say, I've never trusted them, or, frankly, any other review source. What I do trust, is what I see with my own eyes and play with my own hands."

Favorite Games of All-Time:

1.  Star Ocean 3   2. Kingdom Hearts:  Birth by Sleep  3. Kingdom Hearts 1/2  4.  Metal Gear Solid 4    5.  Super Mario 3  6.  Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess/Ocarina of Time  7. Uncharted 2

I love both but MP is more important to me because its just more fun to play with others than by myself. Especially the case for FPS and fighting genres, which I play a lot.

That said, I do love the RPG genre as well which is pre-dominantly SP. Persona series on the PS2 is one of my most favourite series of all time. So yea, I do love a SP game with good storyline/gameplay.

For me its Coop campaign...i voted as single player as im sure you're thinking single player for story mode and multiplayer for online mode. I love playing with a close friend/family/girl friend in the same room sharing the excitement and experience.

Around the Network

well my favorite multiplayer game this gen, is Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light so guess.

coming from an RPG backround, story always seems more important when I buy a game; even shooters, so SP for me

Easily single-player, primarily because of the story-elements. Actions games and RPGs are also my two favorite genres, and both generally emphasize single-player over multiplayer.

That being said, I do enjoy co-op multiplayer quite a bit. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 and Demon's Souls are two of my most played games this generation, and both have strong co-op modes. Competitive multiplayer just isn't my thing....just have a hard time getting into it.

As an oldshool gamer I love local multiplayer, I have been having a lot of fun with the local multiplayer modes of games like Wii Sports, Wii Sport Resort, Mario Kart Wii, New Super Mario Wii, etc. The only game I eventually play on-line is Mario Kart (the mode that mixes on-line and local multiplayer is epic).

So frequently I buy a Wii game because of (local) multiplayer but PC/Steam games I frequently buy because of single-player.

wow poll is looking pretty one sided....i honestly thought it would have been more in favor of the mp!