By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - US of A government is that messed up?

source

U.S. to launch criminal probe of CIA tapes

Wed Jan 2, 2008 2:32pm ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Justice Department said on Wednesday it will launch a criminal investigation into the CIA's destruction of videotapes depicting the harsh interrogation of terrorism suspects.

The CIA last month disclosed that it had destroyed in 2005 hundreds of hours of tapes from the interrogations of two al Qaeda suspects, prompting an outcry from Democrats, human rights activists and some legal experts.

The interrogations, which took place in 2002, were believed to have included a form of simulated drowning known as waterboarding, condemned internationally as torture.

President George W. Bush has said the United States does not torture but has declined to be specific about interrogation methods.

The Justice Department launched an initial inquiry last month. The CIA said it had no immediate comment.

Something doesn't compute for me. Let me get this straight.

They destroy evidence on torture (pretty much confirmed).

They deny and said they don't do torture.

They are now investigating themselves.

Isn't it like a crook trying to catch himself? LOL

Around the Network
Galaki said:

They are now investigating themselves.

Isn't it like a crook trying to catch himself? LOL

Infernal Affairs aka The Departed.

To remain a superpower you need to do underhanded secretive things to stay on top. I don't blame them for having secrets because they are protecting their own interests. Every other country does the same kind of thing.

highwaystar101 said:
To remain a superpower you need to do underhanded secretive things to stay on top. I don't blame them for having secrets because they are protecting their own interests. Every other country does the same kind of thing.

They could at least not make it so obvious and blatant. 

Galaki said:
highwaystar101 said:

They could at least not make it so obvious and blatant. 

Yeah that does make them wankers making it so obvious

Around the Network

You know, Galaki, for such a happy slime thing* you sure can be depressing.

*Sorry, can't remember the name of it...

P.S. But keep it up! Inquiring minds like mine wanna know.**

**Weird Al reference.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Final-Fan said:
You know, Galaki, for such a happy slime thing* you sure can be depressing.

*Sorry, can't remember the name of it...

P.S. But keep it up! Inquiring minds like mine wanna know.**

**Weird Al reference.

Isn't galakis avatar from dragon quest?

The sad thing Galaki is that this went on the whole time Bush was in office....not this particular case but several different scandals involving government cover-up (The war in Iraq, Valerie Plame, the Bulge in Bush's jacket during the debate).

But what's worse than that is that the people of the US would rather vote for either their religion or their hatred of the left than lead a referendum against corruption. Their logic is that Bush is doing what needs to be done to save this country and that commie liberals are just trying to get us attacked by the terrorists....because.....didn't you know....liberals are terrorists.

US politics doesn't directly affect me, since i am not living there.
It's just... ridiculous that people allow all of that to happen and absolutely no repercussion happening. Sure, some got sentenced but the boss just pardon them, LOL.

I just find it intriguing that it's happening in a supposedly democratic country.

Other countries are jumping over to Euro, too. As a neighbour, we are going to get affected in one way or another.

Even without getting into what has happened during the last few years, the CIA has a long history of overthrowing third world governments and assassinating politicians they don't like, abducting US citizens and experimenting on them etc. My personal favorite is how they sponsored a coup against the democratically elected leader of Iran after he nationalized his country's (formerly British and American owned) oil supply. The guy who replaced him was so corrupt and unpopular that the people revolted, and the crazy bunch of religious conservatives we all know and love ended up in power. Not exactly anyone's greatest hour.

Mind you, all that's just the stuff they admit having done in the past. I shudder at the thought of what they're still hiding, or have eradicated all traces of.