By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii-U's best chance requires forward compatability for the Wii

Obviously we have all recognised that it's a silly idea to base a new console around something which could be done as an attachment for the Wii or with DS compatibility (there's enough of them around).

Adding a screen, whilst not a completely stupid idea, isn't enough to sell the Wii Sports Resort crowd on an ugrade.

Any progress in gameplay will come more from controls than graphics. Wii is capable of the same controls as Wii-U. Gameplay is cross/every generational.

It's time to hold Nintendo up to the same standards as 3rd parties. 3rd parties may make shit games but as least they made shit SD games. I can't think of a single Nintendo IP that would improve/revolutionise gameplay by improving textures or adding a screen.

OoT should have been on Wii as an M+ remake not a 3d remake to tide people over and give them a quality taste of what Skyward sword could be like.

Starfox 64 should have been on Wii as an M+ remake with online multiplayer, god forbid it might even use 2 wiimotes, one for arwing control the other for aiming.

Same goes for Pilotwings and the same goes for any future WII U game.

Are there any games (that belong on consoles not PCs) that would benefit more from an added screen than from improved and more accesible controls?

No.

Nintendo needs to provide Wii versions of their WiiU games on the same disc and treat the WiiU as an HD upgrade with gimmicky screen abilities. Similar to how Super Mario World was a NES game with gimmicky L and R features or the 3DS.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network

The new controller will add alot. We can't even understand all the impications yet as developers could do so many things its not funny. Also making the connection with the DS lower screen is wrong as this screen is portable. Imagine if you were playing a game while doing video chat on the controller with your friend. Playing multiplayer games with multiple controllers (If Nintendo changes their minds) would be mind blowing. Then theirs all the ways the screen could interact with Wiimotes and such.

I think we will see lots of benefits to the controller once developers start creating content for it and supporting it.

As for the graphics upgrade, WiiU is said to support 1080p resolutions and a much better frame rate then Wii. Prettier games require newer hardware. Sure you may not see the upside to better shading and graphics but I can say with certainty that the graphics did need to be upgraded and this is the natural evolution of technology.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Pyro as Bill said:

Nintendo needs to provide Wii versions of their WiiU games on the same disc and treat the WiiU as an HD upgrade with gimmicky screen abilities. Similar to how Super Mario World was a NES game with gimmicky L and R features or the 3DS.

MrT-Tar said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Same here... Pls elaborate?

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

I don't really favor wii. But this doesn't make much sense.

And Wii-U has a big thing for them in japan atleast with DQX

Around the Network

Noob! .. "gimmicky this"... "gimmicky that" .. and so is this thread.. a gimmick

lol what? are you using something? the Wii wont be able to play Wii U DVDs as they are too big and if they put games on Wii DVDs then there won't be room for the big Wii U games.

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

all the wii U needs is some really innovative new software title comparable to wii sports and wii fit. my mother (who didn't want a nes, snes, n64, gc, or any competitors product) bought a wii basically for those two titles. without some innovative, new software specifically targeted at her tastes she will skip the wii U generation as well.

this is nintendo's true test ... it is a lot easier to be a one hit wonder than to be the "real deal". i'm not saying i understand why the wii was so popular but from the looks of things i'm not sure nintendo understands it either.

kitler53 said:
all the wii U needs is some really innovative new software title comparable to wii sports and wii fit. my mother (who didn't want a nes, snes, n64, gc, or any competitors product) bought a wii basically for those two titles. without some innovative, new software specifically targeted at her tastes she will skip the wii U generation as well.

this is nintendo's true test ... it is a lot easier to be a one hit wonder than to be the "real deal". i'm not saying i understand why the wii was so popular but from the looks of things i'm not sure nintendo understands it either.

Nintendo knows what worked for the Wii, it's just that they dislike having to make those kinds of games as much as every other "respectable" developer does. Nintendo at least knuckled down and did it, but now that they feel the pressure's off, will they do so again?

Some of the Wii U tech demos looked promising in that regard, in that they were thinking Miis and local multiplayer, so we'll have to wait and see

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
kitler53 said:

Nintendo knows what worked for the Wii, it's just that they dislike having to make those kinds of games as much as every other "respectable" developer does. Nintendo at least knuckled down and did it, but now that they feel the pressure's off, will they do so again?

Some of the Wii U tech demos looked promising in that regard, in that they were thinking Miis and local multiplayer, so we'll have to wait and see

Well, Miyamoto said in an "Iwata Asks" that they were working on a new Wii Fit with new exercices and using the camera of the controller, so they haven't forget that market.

OT. Until we see more games actually running and using the new controller in-depth, we will not know if the screen is enough to warrant an upgrade. And as for games that would benefit from that second screen there are a lot of them. Any game that requires a map would benefit from it as you could see the game in the TV and the map on the controller, without pausing or stopping the action. Games like Zelda, Mario Kart, Metroid could use it this way. Also a platform Mario could also use it, you could "store" mushrooms in select them in game by touching their icon on the controller's screen.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.