By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are the TRUE hardcore games?

I am not a hardcore gamer

Around the Network
Parokki said:
Here is one screenshot from each of the three games I've been playing the most lately. I've put way over twenty hours during the last month in each of them.

I would dare say most "hardcore gamers" would find them incredibly boring, and go do something that requires less imagination and a shorter attention span. Except for Perfect Cherry Blossom anyway, since most people would probably find it frustratingly hard. That would make them casual gamers compared to me, right? =P

Dwarf Fortress is one of the most hardcore games ever.

basing on games difficulty is flawed. Games nowadays get easier and easier.

Isn't this just an argument of symantics. Personally I would say that the fact that their is no accepted definition for what a hard core game is means that their is no such thing as a hard core game. Or possibly that all games are hard core. Or possibly that I really couldn't care less either way.

Pretentious arguments about language aside, it could possible mean a game where it takes time to learn and then master the rules and nuances of the universe you are entering

'You should try everything once in your life except incest, homosexuality and morris dancing' - Oscar Wylde (sort of)

To me, you reach "hardcore gamer" status by not only making video games a hobby, but your social life as well xD. For a while 7-8 of my close friends all played FFXI, any time we'd get away from our computers/ps2's, we'd still be talking about the damn thing. To me that means video games are more than just your "escape", there your passion.

[edit] But if were talking about just games? I'd say anything non-casual personally >_>;;; Any game focused on telling a point, or attempting to lead you somewhere that isn't just "the next high score" is a hardcore game. I don't care if you fork out 60 hours a week on bejewled >_> you are not a hardcore gamer. 

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network

The "Is this game hardcore?" test:

Give game to a 14 year old.

See response.

so nintendogs is a hard core game

gives it to 14yr old girl ...OOooooO.

there is is IS no "HardCore" -Period.

there are Games
And
there are People who Play Games on pc/console/arcade

there are games that appeal to the 16-35yr old male

there are games that appeal to the 55yr old grandmother (my step mother plays a pc game 20-30hrs a week... and it is ALWAYS running on her PC)

there are games that appeal to a wide audience ("casual games" "minigames")
there are games that appeal to a small audience (Fps/rpg/rts etc)

but there is ABSOLUTELY no difference from a 55yr old woman playing a "casual" game 20-30hrs a week

and a 18yr old playing Halo2/COD4/starcraft/civ/wow game.

I am a Gamer- i play console Games, i play PC games(mostly WoW) i spend ~35hrs a week playing games- ~20 a week playing wow with my wife(instead of watching tv)

i played galaxy/re4/mp3/trauma ctr/Z&W etc. on the wii. playing other games as well.

I Am A Gamer- not Casual, not Hardcore..just a Gamer.

My definition of a hard core gamer:
=========================
A person that is extrememely good at picking up and playing most games and feels it is more valuable to spend time playing games then building a social network.

My definition of a hard core game:
========================
A game that is immersive, intense, provides a realistic feeling, excellent replayability, multi-player enabled, has and requires extreme attention to detail, has exceptional AI, and creates new boundaries for gaming in either sound, graphics, and/or gameplay. Typically (but not always), the game is more frustrating then fun to casual gamers because to be good at the game a player has to devote a good portion of their life...

I think that "hello kitty rainbow island adventure" is well hardcore

lenardo said:
so nintendogs is a hard core game

gives it to 14yr old girl ...OOooooO.

Nintendogs is the worst example you could have pulled out as a non-hardcore game as it REQUIRES a player to play it at least once a day or the game is over (the dog dies).